Software
Houzz Logo Print
joran_r

Grey and beige - need help in my kitchen!

12 years ago
last modified: 12 years ago
I am in the mid stages of a kitchen reno... the hardest part - picking everything out! We are going with white cabinets with a slight grey glaze and the island will be this wonderful cappucino colour. My hubby is insisting on grey tile floors (centre, next to white cabinet), which i don't mind, but i'm worried that the kitchen will be too grey. We live in Western Canada where the winters can be long and cold (albeit sunny). We had originally selected Cambria quartz countertops in 'Bellingham' (the teeny square sample), but now i'm thinking that perhaps choosing something along the lines of 'Windermere' would help warm things up a bit. The Windermere quartz is beautiful with swirls of golds, creams and greys (my concern is that it will look silly having grey floors and beige-y countertops). The rest of the house will be in a laminate plank flooring that has both shades of grey and beige in it. I would appreciate your advice on the countertops please!!

Comments (19)

  • 12 years ago
    Here is a link to a kitchen with the Windermere counters:
    Springwood Project · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    and a close up...
    Contemporary Craftsman Kitchen - Close up of the Latte Paitned Cabinet Drawers o · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    I think both of your countertop choices are good with the other selected items. I do think the Bellingham is the best choice for the perimeter (white cabinets). What about a different light colored quartz for the island (with its dark cabinets)? Maybe not the Windermere because if you do different island and perimeter counters, I think it's best if one or the other is quite plain. I'm sure there are many very nice, plain cambria choices. So to sum it up, I think I'd go with darker gray countertops on the white cabinets and a lighter (rather white) counter for the island - one with interest, the other more solid and simple. I think your kitchen will be beautiful! Good choices so far. Please take your time with your backsplash choice - sometimes that choice makes or breaks a kithchen look. I like simple backsplashes best (something like white subway tile with your dark gray countertop).
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Here are some photos of the Bellingham from Cambria's website. Is that a piece of bellingham in your photo? I can't really tell in the picture, but I think the bellingham looks beautiful in the full slabs and it would look amazing in your kitchen with what you have selected. That just happens to be my favorite color combo!
  • 12 years ago
    What brand, style name is the laminate floor in the photo?
  • 12 years ago
    I like the Bellingham better...have to remember that there will be a lot more white cabinet surface that darker counter surface. This way you'll also have common tones on your horizontals.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Sorry everyone, the sample we chose is called "brentwood", not "bellingham"... (although the bellingham is beautiful too!)
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks for the quick feedback everyone! I am looking to do either plain white subway tile or a lightly textured glass subway tile backsplash. I agree with you that its best to keep the backsplash simple especially when choosing something a bit more busy (like the quartz) on the counters.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Well see now don't you think you should get the bellingham??
  • 12 years ago
  • 12 years ago
    although it is beautiful, i find the bellingham too busy, and i don't think it will work with the modern country look i'm going for...
  • 12 years ago
    Why not do all floors the wood planks? Everything looks great. Good job.
  • 12 years ago
    i would love to do all wood floors, but i'm needing to compromise with the husband and he really wants the tile. i'm picking my battles. lol.
  • 12 years ago
    Ok go for it. It's nice.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Hahaha you do have to pick your battles! Well then if you're not crazy about bellingham, I think the Windermere is absolutely beautiful, and I think it would look great in the kitchen as well. I personally prefer it over the brentwood. I do not think the grey floors will look silly with that color top at all. The floors will help bring out those greys in the top!
  • 12 years ago
    Hmmmm, maybe give him the tile he wants in the color you want? Really not liking the gray floor.
  • 12 years ago
    thanks all for your input. I waged a battle with the husband and won! We will be doing the laminate flooring in the kitchen now (yay!), and consequently i'm thinking of doing a darker grey quartz on the white cabinets (something along the lines of cambria williston) and perhaps torquay on the island. also, for whoever was wondering, the laminate is mannington chateau in their restoration collection; color is natural.
  • 12 years ago
    By the way I have Cambria in a different color and love it. Your kitchen will look great.