Software
Houzz Logo Print
ukns

Upholstered Fabric Paint...YES or NO?

12 years ago
Hey Guys,
I just got my beautiful ottoman in the mail today and it's perfect except the color :( I was looking online and some people used fabric paint, the kind you spray on. To anyone who has used it, does it work? and does it last??!! Please and thank you! :)

Comments (35)

  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Yikes!
  • 12 years ago
    Yikes to what?
  • 12 years ago
    I've never used it, but I would just wonder how it changes the texture of the fabric.
    Maddy Montemayor thanked Emily Hurley
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    It's so hard for me to imagine that this could have a positive result. Tufted silk upholstery has its own unique and very visible texture. But I suppose I should keep an open mind.
  • 12 years ago
    That's what I'm worried about, I spent a lot of money for this ottoman and I don't want to ruin the smooth feel of the fabric if I use it :/
  • 12 years ago
    Those pictures were used for an example, I just found them online.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I think that is almost inevitable. However, if the paint is inexpensive, get some and test on a sample piece of cloth.
    Maddy Montemayor thanked sstarr93
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    What color is this ottoman?
  • 12 years ago
    Yes I think I may try that, I was just worried if over time it would "crack".
  • 12 years ago
    It's charcoal, which online it looks black, when I put it in my living room it looks almost navy color and I'm not loving how it ties into my color scheme :/
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    If you think about it, there has to be a latex, acrylic or other filler in the coating, in order to cover the color of the cloth.
  • 12 years ago
    I knew it sounded too good to be true....
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Look it up on Amazon, and read the reviews to get a better idea of the pros and cons.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I does sound like it would greatly affect the texture of the fabric. If you do decide to try it, please post the results. I'd love to see how it turns out. - Good luck!
  • 12 years ago
    I'm definitely doing my research! Thanks for the feedback guys :)
  • 12 years ago
    I just pinned this site, she paints cloth chairs with Annie Sloan chalk paint and then sands it and waxes it. She says it feels like leather. Here's the link
    http://maisondecor8.blogspot.ca/2013/06/painting-chairsframe-and-fabric-and-lot.html
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Not sure about the spray? I would think it may rub off. Reminds me of the spray they use on the infomercials to cover male baldness. Yikes!
  • 12 years ago
    You spent a lot for the ottoman and it's not perfect. Return it. You will find one that IS perfect if you take your time.
  • 12 years ago
    I waited a year to find this ottoman, and if I had it specially made, the quote was $1,200! And that was doing research. I paid $300 for it (which to me is a lot) definitely minuscule to what I could have paid to have it made. I love everything about it but the color bothers me, my fiancé says it looks charcoal to him and that it looks fine with the room, I don't know.
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you yoboseiyo!! I did see people used that, which is a lot cheaper than the spray. I just wasn't sure how to apply it! Very helpful :)
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I have a friend who has used it on clothes with success. But I do not have any tips, sorry.
    Maddy Montemayor thanked Suzette Sherman Design
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Can you post some pics of the room and let us weigh in on the finished piece? What about just making a slip cover for the ottoman? You could dye a cotton one easily enough.
    Henry Ottoman Slipcover · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    The verdict is in, we're returning it today and getting the same one in black! Very excited :) Thanks for all your input!!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I'm glad to hear the verdict!
  • 12 years ago
    Yes, so am I! I just needed to sleep on it :)
  • 12 years ago
    I recall an episode of MTV's 1990s design show House of Style with designer Todd Oldham- episode 16. He demonstrated how to dye a Queen Anne chair. 1) dampen the fabric by spritzing a chair with water with a finger trigger spray bottle. 2) dilute liquid dye into another spray bottle and spray where you want it.
    3) blend by spraying more water all over. 4) place outside in sun to dry.
    Maddy Montemayor thanked dkvhaus
  • 12 years ago
    Lol That definitely looks like it's from the 90's :)
  • 12 years ago
    Have you tried spray paint made especially for furniture. You can get them online.
  • 12 years ago
    I ended up returning the ottoman and getting the same one black not charcoal. And I have not used spray paint for furniture.
  • 12 years ago
    eyelynreyeso1 where do find spray paint made especially for furniture online.
  • 12 years ago
    callbaby if you google fabric spray paint it will come up with quite a few sites and demos
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    It seems a good idea to renovate old furniture but we have to be cautious when it concerns (fine) antique, because we can cause a serious damage to something that has a history.
  • 12 years ago
    I did this on a tweed chair and it still feels the same (still itchy). I used design masters colortool spray paint.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I just recently purchased the spray , and used it and loved it. It is soft to the touch and dries quite fast. I have used different techniques and found this to be much much faster. Unfortunately they do not make the right shade of purple I need; I had to use the plum. It is gorgeous but not the right shade. What I am basically saying is that the colors are limited. The brand I used is Simply Spray from sprayitnew.com