Software
Houzz Logo Print
teths

Need help determining age of cast iron claw foot tub

12 years ago
last modified: 12 years ago
Number on bottom shows large #19, with a space and the number 5 1/2
Than it says made in USA and under that is the numbers 12 31 in
a separate of metal imprint and than a big letter D under that.
There is no other information under the rim or a name shown

Comments (41)

  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Probably December 1931 made in St Louis - 51/2 means it was made "for the whole body immersion"
    JO thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    SAI Contracting, Thank you that helps. We spoke with the party last night that we bought it from 2 years ago. The first home in Lake County built in 1905 didn't have indoor plumbing until the 20's, when the claw foot was put in. It's extra deep too and his wife says it kept the water quite hot. I am going to make a record of it on the wall, since it's a guest bathroom, it will be fun to read and we've decided to restore it to white.
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I have an old claw foot tub that I would like to date. The markings on bottom of tub are IC-3. I can not find any other markings on tub itself. Each of the feet has the number 300 on the inside. I got the tub out of an old Mill house in Lyman, South Carolina. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

  • 10 years ago

    I also bought one yesterday to put into my new bathroom.. It has lion head claws and has the numbers 7-25-41A and also 813-1 on another part of it... Help please. The tub is being taken from Bristol, TN from a home that's 110 years old. It was encased in the wall. I'm very excited.

  • 10 years ago

    I am also looking for information about my claw foot tub. it seems to be unique (rare as hens teeth), as i have searched the books, catalogs and internet, and have yet to lay eyes on one like it. The bottom of the double ended tub has W2 over K over 45, also SSMCo over SW over 5 and "Standard" stamped in calligraphy, I believe. Standard, I presume is the same Standard that still makes porcelain fixtures.

    It measures 70" by 34"outside rim to rim, has intact, enormous claw feet, very decorative. The broad roll top has 4 deck mount rim drillings with some original fittings. Anything you may be able to tell me would be greatly appreciated. We are redoing the room and thinking about how to treat the tub. It is a keeper, but we'd like to know anything about it. Thanks!

  • 9 years ago

    We purchased a claw foot tub yesterday It has a large 5 upper right, just above and to the left of "Made In U.S.A." (two lines) there is a number 4. Below the number 4 is a large N. Any ideas on dating this tub?

  • 9 years ago

    I recently purchased a claw foot tub, the date stamp is 1939, it also has two 5s the.number 2500 and the letter h in a circle. What does all this mean

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    January 8 2018. Hi I have purchased a clawfoot tub it does not have the feet so I’m trying to determine what style of feet I need to find on the bottom it has 5 1/2 and U. That is all I can find on it I need help to locate the right feet if you could help me I would really appreciate it thank you very much Thea Langston

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    My tub I purchased has that same "U" brand stamp on the bottom, and I have been googling everything trying to find out what that means?? Who's the manufacturer?? Its It's a distinct shaped U, obviously a logo/stamp.....but by who?? If you can answer this, I would be so appreciative.



  • 7 years ago

    I'm refinishing a clawfoot cast iron tub with a "JM" stamp, no further info...just two raised "JM"s. Any ideas on date/manufacturer?

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago


    I have a tub with the date 11-28-1910 stamped; actually in raised numbers. Can anybody help me to find the manufacture? (Keep in mind there is no other identification...)

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Need help to date my Kohler Clawfoot tub, its a classic design. It has a stamp under it that I think says: KOHLER USA 64.5 1/2.7s. I think it says June 1905, 5 1/2 " or full body submersion length. But I do not know what 7s means. Do I have this right? I'd like to know how old it is.


  • PRO
    6 years ago

    I don't know about any of these but have you tried asking the companies that do the reglazing for old cast iron fixtures? They may have the answers!

  • 6 years ago

    Did you ever find out? My tub is similar with 64.5.3.S. Thanks!

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago



    Aloha, Can anyone help with these numbers?


    And Price. Mahalo


  • 6 years ago

    I just found this post and hoping someone can help? Here’s the pic of my tub. These are the only markings on my tub. Anyone know who made this? I need feet and don’t know where to start. Thanks!


  • 6 years ago

    We also have a tub that we're interested in finding info on. These are the stamps I've found on the bottom.




  • 6 years ago

    can anyone tell me where to find info on this tub?? just bought it for $600. everyone is telling me I got a steal...idk if i did or not $ wise but i have wanted an old clawfoot since i was a little girl so I'm happy either way just curious as it will be passed down. to my daughter

  • 6 years ago

    I just bought it last night so I haven't had a chance to clean it up yet

  • 6 years ago

    It is made by the American Standard company on April 27, 1921. It is a 5 ft tub made in Louisville.

  • 5 years ago



    Any ideas ?

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Sept 25th 1939 evening shift.

  • 5 years ago


    So does this mean it was made in 1925?

    Does this help us age our old house? We have no idea as it was moved from another location in the 50’s.

  • 5 years ago

    Did anyone find out information on the Kohler 1900’s cast iron, claw foot tub with markings 64. 5. 2 S? We have one and wanted to know it’s value in original state or if I should have refinished.

  • 5 years ago

    Thank you.

  • 5 years ago

    I have a tub with just numbers 2-27-39-807 what would that mean

  • 5 years ago

    Whats the numbers mean


  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Has anyone heard of a


    Pacific tub manufactured in Richmond, CA? The only number I see is 10. I can't find a history of this manufacturer, trying to see if I can pinpoint a date range for our 1897 house. Thanks!

    The tub measures 5' long at the top opening.

  • 5 years ago

    What does the number mean on the tub it wad made in 1930


  • 5 years ago

    I was just given a claw footed tub. Don't know anything about it. It has SMC stamped on the bottom. Anybody have any ideas who the mfgr is?

  • 5 years ago


    Any help identiting how old, who made, anything really?

  • 4 years ago

    Has anyone used ekopel to refinish clawfoot tub?

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Can anyone help with the manufacturer of my tub. Trying to find feet for it.

    Thank you


  • PRO
    4 years ago

    Eli, it is nearly impossible to find tub feet that fit correctly once they are separated. Even if your tub was clearly marked with a brand I’ve never seen feet with brand marks. Good luck- I think it will be trial and error.

  • 4 years ago


    On the bottom of claw foot tub in a 113 yr old house me n my other half have any one know any thing about it?

  • 3 years ago

    Need help with info.



  • 3 years ago

    Bottom of my 1912 clawfoot bath, not sure about theses letters, trying to find out the manufacturer, any ideas

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    Any idea what this stamp means? Cast iron tub

    r. e 203.308 6-10-41


  • PRO
    2 years ago

    Sounds like June 10th 1941.

  • 2 years ago

    "100% of the clawfoot bathtubs we tested had extremely high levels of lead leaching from the surface."

    http://www.aestheticsolutionsofidaho.com/tubs_lead.htm