Software
Houzz Logo Print
mazie_alcorn

Bathroom Design Mistake....

12 years ago
Building a house, and now that the granite and tile are up, they don't match. I am heartbroken. Is there anyway to salvage? The granite is santa Cecilia and has more golds/browns than thought. The tile is a maroon norte. It looked more brownish when I picked, but now it looks red! What can I do to bring all of the colors together? I don't have money to replace either right now. Kitchen photo shows better what the granite looks like and other photos are of the guest and master bath tile. You can see the granite in one of the photos...

Comments (26)

  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Is this a Wood framed building or Concrete?
  • 12 years ago
    Wood
  • 12 years ago
    There is a process that refinishes tile, can make it almost any color, but I don't know how expensive it is. Check your local yellow pages or ask at a home improvement store. However, I don't think this looks bad at all. You might change the wall color and find that you like the tile more. Or maybe just live with it for a while. Sometimes these things grow on you!
  • 12 years ago
    Kitchen photo didn't load
  • 12 years ago
    Paint the walls cinnamon.
  • 12 years ago
    Mazie, I agree with Donna Fowler that it looks fine in the bathroom. Honestly. Maybe in person, who knows, only you. But from my screen they both look good together. Hopefully it will grow on you over time. :))
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I would try a color like Benjamin Moore Grant Beige..a beige with a green undertone that could pick up one of the shades in the stone listello border. Try to avoid using anything with a pinkish undertone which would fight the granite or a yellow undertone that would fight the tile. Paint is a great way to tie all the elements together.
  • 12 years ago
    I seem to agree with studio 10001, quite often.
    Did you see the tile/granite in person?

    Depending on the policies of where you bought it, did they have the option of exchange?

    Believe me, I've had my problems over the years with materials.

    30 Years ago earth tones had been in style, and I was moving toward the clear colors of the 80's. I wanted true grey, with no brown undertone or highlighting.

    There was exactly what I wanted, but the saleslady showed me three 3" tiles that looked okay. My contractors were on a time crunch, and the tile I really wanted would take too long to ship, and they had what they showed me in stock.

    When I got the tile, it had various amounts of brown on it, and it was obvious she had picked 3 pieces that didn't. They ended up Fed Exing the tile I wanted, but it was a big hassle, and to return ALL the tile and granite you are using...............just the thought, not to mention expense, is overwhelming.

    If you think you have any leverage, I would try hard to get what you want. It's a shame to have invested so much, in quality material, and be disappointed with it.

    I had a girlfriend that had marble set right over the top of the mistake. But she's a little crazy................................:)

    I agree with Studio, as I said, was to paint the walls a rich color so the dark color is not so stark against the granite I would say a rust. You may be able to make it work, once it's all done. Im so sorry you had that experience.
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you everyone. I will try painting the bathrooms a richer tone and see if that pulls it all together. The border work in the shower and around the tub does mimic the colors of the granite, so it may just me being overly anxious that every decision I am making is wrong.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Oh, Mazie, you are feeling exactly how most of us feel when dealing with all the challenges and expense of remodeling. I think it's more stressful than buying a house! Remodeling a bath, and especially a kitchen is HARD, and so expensive!

    There are SO many details in a kitchen, with cabinets, flooring, appliances, counters, splash backs, hardware........................not to mention considering all the logistics for maximizing function! And even if you were just doing counters, it is really hard to tell how it's going to look when it's done.

    My SIL added on a huge kitchen, EIGHT years ago, and as of last year, she STILL had no handles on her cabinets, or glass in the ones planned for glass. You just reach through the hole to get a plate! Her bathrooms, too! If you're looking for a hair tie, or band aid, the drawer is heavy, wide, and so flush, you have to use little mouse hands to try to catch the edge to get the drawer open! It's pretty funny, really. If she got glass now, someone would probably forget, and end up in the ER with lacerations on their hand! :)

    Last year, I thought since the downturn maybe they (she's married with kids) were short on money. Since she and I have very similar taste, I went online and bought (you have to BUY them) several samples of pulls and handles, for her birthday, and told her she could also pick anything else out, and I would pay for it all, installation, etc.

    But I somehow forgot, that she cannot make a decision to save her life. So giving her options created a whole broo ha ha, because her husband liked one, her daughter liked a different one, her son.........................you get the picture.

    Now, N-O-T-H-I-N-G in this woman's house matches, but she managed to find a mother of one of her kid's friends, that spent a year and a half picking out her own cabinet hardware. I happened to call while she was there, saying, "No that pewter has a slight green undertone........................I've known my SIL 38 years, and we love each other like real sisters, which is why I was envisioning strangling her at that moment!

    She had previously bought about 30 huge, stainless handles at Ikea, that would have ruined her beautiful custom alder shaker cabinets, but then managed to find a woman that now had her obsessing about the undertones of pewter............................(refer to previous paragraph! )

    By that time, to maintain my own sanity, I removed myself from the whole thing, and I have been caring for my mother, who had become very ill about that time, so I haven't been to her house in about 6 months.

    She has not brought it up at all. (Not a good sign), and I have not said a word to her. So I don't know what happened. I'm just going to make sure I have a designated driver for her birthday coming up in a couple of weeks, because I'll HAVE to have at least a glass of wine before I leave the house, so I will remain completely calm if I walk in, and there are still no handles.....................:) :)

    I digressed there a bit, but I had (conveniently) forgotten all about the contractor that was doing my project, that I referred to about the tile, (he was doing kitchen, bath, hardwoods, and smoothing out a very stucco style wall surface), who suddenly decided he was a decorator, and picked the wrong time to inform me he thought the wallpaper I picked out didn't match my blinds. I was at my limit dealing with the wrong tile, etc, and went berserk, on the front lawn for all the neighbors to hear. Oh, yes! After that, I felt it was best for me (and him) not to speak to the guy , and my husband had to be the go-between for the rest of the project. :)

    So, you must at least take solace, that this type of thing happens to the best of us, and compared to others, and despite very understandable anxiety, and upset, you seem to be remaining remarkably dignified and composed, and taking action to do what you can to make your situation work.

    You sound more positive today, so maybe you were having a bit of buyers remorse. I think things will turn out just fine for you!
  • 12 years ago
    I think the room looks great. Once it's painted and you add towels, etc. you won't even notice the granite color.
  • 12 years ago
    Since it is already installed, wait until your room is complete. Once the floors are in, your walls are painted, etc, you won't be staring at just the granite and tiles, and it may look different to you.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Often what seems like a mistake, is just an opportunity. Thats where you're at and it will more than likely be a richer result in the end. Have faith and don't over obsess on single set of relationships of the finishing. There are so many components in a space you need to set up parameters for color combinations (triads, quads,etc.), which you've now started, and play with the subtle variances which will make it all feel fantastic and not deadly. Like music chords, a half step can make the difference between bright and clear or somber and reflective. Let each design element play its part in the symphony.
  • 12 years ago
    Yes, Randall! You must be a student of the "I Ching"! The Chinese translation for adversity, I can't remember exactly, but it is "opportunity". I read that years ago, and still use it!
  • 12 years ago
    Confucius say "check everything before payment." He also say " First Wife where are my socks ". Put it down to experience and move on.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Not the I Ching, but reading Lao Tzu was like reading my own thoughts. So I set it down and went on my way.
  • 12 years ago
    chookchook2, you crack me up! :) My brother in law always introduces my sister as his "first wife".

    Randall, I wish I was more naturally enlightened. I've always dreamed of being a type B.

    If I ever hear anything like, "Have you been able to move on?" Or all the benefits of forgiveness. I cringe. I just reply, "I'm Irish/Italian, we don't move on." I find anger exhilarating. Forgiveness is highly overrated. Would you tell a Jew you think they should move on? Gosh, if we were genetically blessed, half of Ireland would be sober!
  • 12 years ago
    You should stop thinking about what color you thought it was and embrace the colors that are there now. I know it's hard but what choice do you have? Paint the walls a light color like cafe au lait. Add touches that tie the granite and the tile together--a color in between the maroon and browns--maybe some art.
  • 12 years ago
    A large picture of a lady in the buff in peach tones would enhance the finishes and distract at the same time.
  • 12 years ago
    LOL! Chook Chook2, are you being naughty?
  • 12 years ago
    I remember some friends buying a big old (1910) house, back in about 1990.
    They painted the very large living room peach, on very white walls.

    When they started painting, I thought it looked way too dark.

    I happened to be there when they were finishing up, my friend wasn't too happy with the color, but it took covering the last 12 " square, then it completely changed, and the peach appeared much much lighter.

    You would have thought it would have shown up with a wall or two finished, but it really DID take covering up every inch! It was really surprising. It was kind of like one of those perspective tricks.
  • 12 years ago
    Best place to have undressed pictures is the bathroom or bedroom. We have religious images looking at us and they can be quite inhibiting!
  • 12 years ago
    From the pictures, the granite and tile don't look that bad together. I agree changing the wall color can have a big effect on the room. Also try adding accessories in a contrasting color. I would add towels, vases and art work with green and some brown tones. Even though your not quite ready for decorative pieces, set them in the room and stand back and look. Your eye will always go to the brighter colors and the browns will blend in the background. Try it.
  • 12 years ago
    Always bring samples home to try in your light. Live with it before buying. I like the trim. But tiles look mismatched. Maybe the way they were hung.? Sorry, it's awful when things don't work out. Get a nice solid shower curtain. Take color from trim.
  • 12 years ago
    Chook Chook2!
    So you think a naked lady would be nice in the bathroom and the bathroom? And you DON"T have religious images, right? You're suggesting NOT to have religious images in the bedroom? (I hope?!

    I have a good friend who is a very conservative Catholic, and I am at the complete other end.

    When she was single, she had about a 4 x 6 photo of the pope on the wall that her bed was up against, so it was about 4 inches away from her face.

    I decided she needed another image, so when she wasn't looking, I pinned the same size photo of Bill Clinton. So when she turned to say her prayers that night, President Clinton was staring her in the face, instead!

    She worked with me, and repaid me by xeroxing 3 x 3's of Wm F. Buckley, the editor of a very conservative periodical she subscribed to. I was finding them for months, everywhere you could think of.

    I
Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH