Software
Houzz Logo Print
jamieovlia

Take off your shoes

12 years ago
Any design advise on things I can do in my narrow entryway to encourage guests to take off their shoes? Their is a vent on the floor right when you walk in that greatly limits my options.

Comments (29)

  • 12 years ago
    Small set of shelves on the left under the picture?
  • 12 years ago
    I Hawaii we always had a place to put your shoes when you took them off...and you always took them off :)
  • 12 years ago
    Boot tray on the left side. When someone doesn't immediately take off their shoes in my house, I say "take off your shoes, stay awhile!" Honestly, for some reason, when people have their shoes on in my house it makes me nervous. Not because of dirt, it's just a weird sensation like they are about to run out the door or something. http://www.ballarddesigns.com/ballard-boot-tray/12984?redirect=y
  • 12 years ago
    Hang a sign at the front door. (or leave a pile of your own shoes on a mat) I don't know what is further into the room, but what exactly are you trying to keep "clean". I can see if someone lives in their workboots, but otherwise, I don't get it.

    I know in some areas it's a cultural or religious thing...like with many Asians and Phillipinos. But with an everyday, joe blow American household...
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I know there is another post on here about shoes or no shoes and I do wonder what the entry looks like to make it nice and inviting still, so I am anxious to see what advice you get.

    Would the rug work the other direction instead of extending so far in to your home?
  • 12 years ago
    We have a small decorative basket with designer type footies at the entry.
  • 12 years ago
    http://www.wikihow.com/Ask-Someone-to-Take-Off-Their-Shoes-at-Your-Home

    But good luck! I can't even get my own husband to do it even when the kiddos were young and still crawling.
  • 12 years ago
    Make cute lil sign and hang it some where on the wall with the light switch, at a height that will make it noticable when someone walks in the door. And do you want them to leave their shoes somewhere other than on the rug you have there now? If so, a mat could go at the end of where that wall sticks out
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Re: the heat vent, a raised shoe shelf (3-4" off the floor) would let you leave some shoes & slippers here to give visitors the hint, and still let the air move.
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks for the advice! My issue with shoes is partly the dirt thing (I use to live in NYC where dogs do their thing on the sidewalk) but the real issue is protecting my hardwood floors. They are birch and dent somewhat easily. I used to only make heels come off but I had a party where someone had a small wedge heel and you can see where they stood in our kitchen on the side of their shoe... Dents everywhere!
  • 12 years ago
    Per @Someone's in the Kitchen --complete with chalkboard sign http://www.potterybarn.com/products/blacksmith-shoe-rack/?pkey=e%7Cshoe%2Brack%7C6%7Cbest%7C0%7C1%7C24%7C%7C2&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-NoMerchRules-_-
  • 12 years ago
    I have this at my front door and would suggest keeping it open when you have visitors and keep it close when they are gone.
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50248428/
  • 12 years ago
    Here is a vent extender. I have them in my house and they work great! http://www.improvementscatalog.com/vent-extender/268908

    Good luck with the no shoe thing. I did the same thing when we first moved into our house (which was brand new). Lasted 3 months. My husband was the worst one and it was his rule! I have white grout in the my tile (thoughout front hallway, dining room and kitchen). It is now dirty and stained and impossible to clean. Can't wait for my next house (making the same rule!)
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Get a wider mat for the front entrance and a boot tray , I found a mat for outdoor for you .

    I don't like shoes in the house nor bare feet ,always bring a pair of slippers when visiting.



    Doormats · More Info

    Art-A-Peel Wall Wisdom Mahalo For Removing Your Shoes - 22823 · More Info


    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/house-rule-off-with-your-shoes-stsetivw-vs~1829508
  • 12 years ago
    Did anyone else's mother used to say" take off your feet" ?
  • 12 years ago
    No, but she bought me slippers and I got the message.
  • 12 years ago
    We live in Montreal and everyone removes their shoes upon entering a home. You've got a lovely little entrance which poses a big challenge. I would suggest a 3-prong attack to protect your floors:

    1) A larger, wider, longer rug (like others have said) that allows you to open your door wider to let the guests enter fully. The bigger the rug, the less stressed you'll be about letting everyone first get into your home. Then....
    2) Provide a lovely chair for the right side, just past the vent, so that someone has the option to sit down when....
    3) You provide them with comfortable, well-made, washable slippers, that are always kept clean. You have theme place their shoes on the lovely small shelving unit you provide which is, of course, behind the door. If you don't want a small shelving unit then i agree with the ikea unit that armygirl has; it's flat and practical. Behind the door again.

    good luck!
  • 12 years ago
    A small bench to remove boots is a huge help I keep our under the hall table I just added a boot tray ,we must get ready for Winter, I also have a basket with extra slippers that I keep in the closet .
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    There's an African Proverb that says, when one removes their shoes upon entering a home, they are leaving their problems outside the door. A wonderful inspiration that one may consider if they choose to have a "shoe free environment" is to place a woven basket of slippers of all sizes near the entry. As a professional designer, I love to suggest taking this concept one step further by displaying a myriad of slippers representing one's international travels in the basket. A fun way to invite guests to remove their shoes is to have them choose the country they would like to travel to by stepping into the slippers representing that specific country. Guests have found this experience to be an adventurous and conversational journey!
  • 12 years ago
    I live in Canada ... I have always removed my shoes when entering people's homes. I've yet to visit or meet people who walk around their own homes wearing shoes -- I thought you only see that in TV.

    That being said, most homes I've been to would have a shoe rack or boot tray by the door (in your case, one might fit nicely to the left), and a chair or a bench beside or across from it. I think this basically mirrors what some of the commenters are suggesting.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    can you take more pictures? stand back a bit further so we can see whats going on?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    build a pony wall out a way, so you can put a bench with an area under to put shoes. you could even do a little built in seating area. maybe at a few hooks for coats or bags?
  • 12 years ago
    Old post
  • 12 years ago
    When I once wanted folks to remove shoes I installed an engraved nameplate in the exterior lower corner of the door window which spoke for me before I answered it. In small cursive font it read: "Please kindly remove shoes" It really worked!
  • 5 years ago

    Get a small foyer bench that can go to left of door (as they open). Yes, it's over the vent but won't make any difference. The person enters, sees the bench, sees the little "no shoes" sign on door, sits on the bench and puts their shoes under or beside the bench. Not perfect but it beats having dirty or scratched wood floors! Here's foyer bench I made...a smaller version could be located or custom built?


    I made one in white wash, too for someone else:




  • 5 years ago

    Love this conversation❣️❣️We also don’t wear any outdoor shoes in our home. I don’t like tracking any “outside stuff” into our home. We take off our shoes at the front door and put on our house slippers. I do need to get some kind of nice shoe caddy. I like the one armygirl1987 posted that is from IKEA ❣️
    Hi armygirl1987: I am a retired US Air Force Captain.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations