edubya

Ants!! - How do you get rid of them?

Emily H

Have you had an ant infestation in your kitchen? How did you end up solving the problem.

Share your tips and tricks here!

How to get rid of Ants in the Kitchen · More Info

• Sarah Bram
    @chook yay I'm not alone!!! ❤️
    Bill Fry Construction - Wm. H. Fry Const. Co.
    Yup, borax and sugar paste. My husband takes care of it - lucky me. We haven't had to do it in years. :) Rhoda
    Emily H thanked Bill Fry Construction - Wm. H. Fry Const. Co.

How do i get rid of popcorn ceilings?

How to do it: http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/how-to-remove-a-popcorn-ceiling/index.html What to use: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Homax-Ceiling-Texture-Scraper-for-Popcorn-Ceiling-Removal-6104/202061374#.UhA_cOCXrfg It's a tedious job. Lay in a supply of ibuprofen.

How do I get rid of weeds?

There are multiple types (and seasons) for weeds. Advice will depend upon your planting zone and the type of grass that is generally used in your area. In our area, fescue is the most popular lawn grass. Below is specific to our climate and Zone 7. Generally one would aerate, fertilize, lime and heavily overseed a lawn in September - preferably pick a day when it is supposed to rain within 24 hrs. This begins the process of strengthening the grass so that it is harder for weeds to take control of the lawn. Fertilize again between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Fertilize again and put out pre-emergent weed control around Valentines. Generally do not fertilize in warm weather as it causes brown spot and other diseases. Do this religiously each year - it will take time to build up the lawn so that the grass can win out over the weeds. Water, but don't overwater (overwatering causes fungus in lawns). If you have pest problems, spread insect control containing Dylox in early Spring and then insect control containing Imidacloprid in July. This will keep insects under control that also cause damage to the lawn. You can also spray broad leaf killer once or twice a year during the times when weeds are most present. Alone it will not totally control weeds, but can augment a good lawn maintenance plan. Do not use broad leaf killer on new tender grass. Good luck. Like any other home maintenance, it just takes a plan and sticking with it. Over time you'll have a wonderful lawn.

how do we get rid of this horrible lighting

It's so easy , just open up the panels ...take out the lights , clean and paint and put different lamps ..or cover the whole thing up with sheet Rock and put in recessed spot lighting you have many options ...just look underneath it all and figure out what you like first and foremost ...the question is what kind of light do you want ! I would go with recessed lights and make it modern .

How do I get rid of scale insects?

Anyone? Surely I'm not the first person to have trouble with scale insects?
  • Michelle James
    Yes Borax and Icing sugar mixed together and sprinkle around foundation but don't do this if u have pets or small children in case they eat it. Another alternative and Corn starch and Icing sugar mixed. The ants eat it and the cornstarch expands in their gut and they literally explode.
    Emily H thanked Michelle James
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    For us, preventive medicine works, i.e. anything an ant would like we store them in tuperware and/or put in refrigerator.
    Emily H thanked Curt D'Onofrio
  • Shannon Olden
    baby powder!! safe for dogs! and cheap.
    Emily H thanked Shannon Olden
  • ugayyo
    Okay I can help here I owned a pest control Business for three years. Also manage a company for 8 . That being said you need to remove the covers on your electrical outlets. Go be side the box and put dust in your walls. Thus stuff last for 1 year or longer. If you use a bait you need to bait outside!!!! I'm going to attach a photo of a good powder chemical to go in your wall.
    Emily H thanked ugayyo
  • ugayyo
    Also if you have some type of landscaping around your house like find Strahl bark something that whole moisture they could be nested under their spray them with some type of chemical and kill them at the same time while putting Dust your in your walls. Type of ass you have a thinker probably called Argentina ants.
    Emily H thanked ugayyo
  • ugayyo
    Aka " piss ants" cause all they do is piss you off
    Emily H thanked ugayyo
  • ugayyo
    If you have the big black ants let me know! Cause you treat them different.
    Emily H thanked ugayyo
  • ugayyo
    If you want a to really get then you put the Destin the wall then treat them with this other chemical that I'm attaching. It's a non-repellent so you don't want to mix it with any chemicals one Sanset gets and it gets understand they don't realize I have it on them. Some other ways it works like with a cockroach they get into clean them off and it kills in that way. They also breathe it into their spheres which is another word for saying basically what they breathe out of. Long story long I would probably just use the dust in my walls you some type of maybe over-the-counter chemical to treating out something outside. You're still having a problem bothers other chemical entreat along with the powder that should eliminate them.
    Emily H thanked ugayyo
  • ugayyo
    I think you will be wasting your time with a lot of those home remedies.
    Emily H thanked ugayyo
  • jdd3612
    It's interesting to read about home remedies and I hope they work because they are safe. . However, I live in a petless, childless home and have no qualms blasting the buggers with chemicals. We have the small variety of ants and when I see just one of them in the spring, I get out the Ortho Home Defense and spray doorways and other areas inside and out. This product works on other insects, too. In the past, I have used Grants Kills Ants traps with success, but beware, they contain arsenic.
    Emily H thanked jdd3612
  • ugayyo
    Well if you want a home remedy that actually really does work if you just want to spray the answer when that that will kill them but preventing them for a period of time that's a different story. But if you have an infestation that's different too. You're definitely want to use the chemicals that I recommended or some type of commercial product.
    Emily H thanked ugayyo
    Norwood Architects
    regularly spraying your home perimeter with an organic based spray.
    Emily H thanked Norwood Architects
  • happyasaclam
    Ants will come into your house looking for water. Check in the cabinets under your sinks for dampness.. It won't necessarily be a plumbing leak. The seal around the sink may need to be re-caulked. Your faucets may also be leaking and need new seals. Put out those traps too. Other than fixing the water problems, the traps have been the only things that have worked for us and that includes professional exterminators! Oh, and keep your counters, cabinets and pantries clean, paying special attention to syrups, sugar, etc. Clean around the lids of the syrup bottles. They don't call them sugar ants for nuthin'!
    Emily H thanked happyasaclam
  • nancyann0277a
    Terro works great. We have a winter place in Florida, had ants upon returning one year. Got rid of them easily with terro. No more ants.
    Emily H thanked nancyann0277a
  • ugayyo
    What the happy person said about water is true. If there is to much rain it will bring them in also.
    Emily H thanked ugayyo
  • ugayyo
    They also like protein.
    Emily H thanked ugayyo
  • Emily H thanked Peter Munge
  • caterfran
    I had to resort to an exterminator after trying cinnamon, cream of tarter, and a few other things. He worked outside the periphery. They never came back
    Emily H thanked caterfran
  • Shannon Olden
    i have used baby powder for years and after a day they are gone gone gone!
  • marytbates
    I'm with the Terro crowd. Every spring ants are Gone! Living in a woods, in a wood frame home, having tried all the killers mentioned, Terro is the only thing that really works.
  • catz1
    I agree that Terro is the best I have used (I have tried everything). As we speak, there are ants on om computer screen. MY ants must be treated regularly to keep them at bay.
  • printesa

It's that time of the year when the ants are coming back..Terro is out of the box now and doing a pretty good job. As for pesticides, careful with those,,think twice before deciding on that. Just because they are pros, doesn't mean they can't do something bad. There is a family in our area that is in hospital, in critical condition because of pesticides (applied by pros)

• Kelly Andrews

People think I am a hippie for using essential oils. Insecticides are so stinking dangerous. There are thousands of cases every year of pets, children and adults getting severely sick from dangerous pest control chemicals. Think about all of the mild cases that go unreported! I use peppermint and tea tree essential oils to keep ants out of my house. I have less ants now than I did when I had a yearly subscription to Orkin. Here is a resource if anyone wants to try it:

• ritziest

I boil black pepper with lemon and pour in the cracks or ant holes. I put the pepper inside along the trails with little water and it dries. The ants hate it and stay away. Also they will take it to the nest and no more problems. If you want to spend money, the round ant traps put near ant holes will get rid of them.

• Mike Limberg

I live in Arizona. I have desert landscaping, with 3/4 inch screened granite around my whole house.

In 6 years I've seen maybe four bugs in my home. The secret is very simple for my situation.... Every month I springle 2 - 4 pound boxes of 20 Mule Team Borax around the foundation of my home. Been doing this for many years. No ants, no roaches, no spiders, no scorpions.... Nothing. Plants are doing great, dogs walk around the house, no problem. I've been told that fine ground dust of the 20 Mule Team Borax acts as knives to cut up insects. What ever it does, insects don't like the stuff.

Would it work for you? I say try it in a small area. In your yard, place a sheet of tacky insect paper down in two places. Put nothing around one sheet and borax around the other. See if Borax surrounded sheet has fewer bugs?

Same with a plant. Find two plants you don't really like and surround one and leave the other as is? Your weather conditions will be different from mine. Rain doesn't seem to do much but wash the borax deeper into the soil. Still no bugs.

Try it. Works for me. I've never used borax inside. Some folks have with success. Again, try it in a small area with a tacky paper if you have insects....

Good Luck!

• 111ideahound

Combat bait traps. Works like a dream. Put them in the path and you won't see them again.

• April(zone 5a)
    I know this post is a couple years old.... but I was wondering if anyone has ideas for getting rid of ant colonies outside...?
    I don't want to just get rid of them (and this may sound harsh...) but I want them dead...
    I have a raised garden (for my Herbs, and once in a while a tomato plant) and there's a big colony in it.... so something natural/environmentally friendly.
    help?! please
  • printesa

April, get some Terro ant bait..it's natural. We use it outside the house perimeter

• Angel 18432

Borax works great. I mix Borax with some sugar water (to attract them) and haven't seen an ant in a long time.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)

Another vote for the borax. I mix it with honey.

A note on essential oils. Certainly better than chemical compounds, but still not harmless. Tea tree oil does have adverse effects on some people and may cause hormonal responses in pre-pubescent males. It is dangerous if ingested (by kids or pets for example) and should not be used near mucous membranes (nose). I use it when the benefit outweighs the risk but I wouldn't use it on a continual basis for prevention of infestations, especially since I have young kids and curious pets.

• cpaul1

The only thing that has ever worked for me are these Terro liquid ant baits. They work amazingly well and extremely fast.

Atherton Design
    Every spring when I see ants coming in, I put a small pile of sugar outside on the porch and they leave for the sugar. They never come back until the following spring.
  • Janet
    I second the borax, I’ve put it in mint jelly. I haven’t needed it in a couple years. Another fun tip. I moved something in my laundry room and their was a small swarm scattering. I grabbed my sticky lint roller and caught them all before they could disappear. Peel and toss the sheet!
  • indigoheaven
    I have had great success with the Terro baits.
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)

The funny thing is the Terro baits are just Borax plus chemicals wrapped in plastic. You can DIY it with all natural ingredients and no plastic use at all, for a fraction of the price!!

• printesa

Terro is pretty much borax

• April(zone 5a)
    Thank you all!

Borax will help with big colonies? ((I assume they take the borax back (thinking its sugar) and it gets fed to everyone else?)) The biggest colony in my yard is probably a little bigger than a 20inch box fan... (thats not including my raised garden)
    Thank you all so much!
    (I will be putting borax around my place and raised garden)
  • Mon

Did you want to try to repel them with your used coffee grounds, it's okay for use in the garden because some people use it for compost and you can wet it when it dries out while watering.

• Janet
    It’s the actual sugar they are after, so it has to be mixed with something like jelly. Since my ants were coming in from outside, I assume it was being carried back to the colony outside because they eventually disappeared.
  • Angel 18432

http://www.terro.com/indoor-baiting#Baiting

As stated terro is Borax, so just buy the borax washing soap and make your own, much cheaper.

• Jennifer

Another vote for Terro. Amazing how well it works.

• Susan Davis

When we lived in CA farming central valley all bugs were invasive! I found a book at the library that said the first line of defense is to stop them by getting rid of the things they live on....water, food, and dust for warmth. So seal all your pipes, doors, windows, aka. entry points of the house, remove any standing or moving water like drips or cracks or leaky faucets, and get rid of any hiding places like cardboard boxes, clothing or shoes thrown on the floor, etc. Dust baseboards and ceilings regularly and closets too! See if this slows things down.....we had an old kitchen window and replaced it this year as the ants were coming thru the wear holes in the corners of the metal window....it has slowed them down 99 per cent! And we bomb with raid in spring, summer and fall and that makes a big difference too. We live on a slab foundation in the high desert so do have a certain number of critters.....

• Angel 18432

Susan, try Borax for the ants.

• April(zone 5a)
    I have used used coffee grounds and it does not work....at least for me. It just seems to attract more even tho there is no sugar in the grounds.
    I will spread borax in the morning... Again Thank you all so much!!
  • Karin K
    last year

An exterminator

• pigeen
    last year

Terro

• Aphaea
    last year

I have had three ant invasions, fortunately tiny ones, over the last ten years. (I became fanatical after the last one and haven't had one in more than 3-4 years now.) There are two parts to my success:

Part 1: Dawn dishwashing liquid, the blue one. That kills them instantly and also wipes out their scent trails. I wet down paper towels, put the dishwashing liquid on them and placed them on the trail. I also just poured the liquid directly on them and around the food they were after. It took a few days before they were never seen again.

Part 2: Fanatical, absolutely fanatical, no-exceptions-whatsoever rules were put in place. Everything must be in canning jars, locking storage, the refrigerator or freezer. Cats are fed in their glass pie plates but the food, both soft and hard, stays down only for a limited period of time. This means I am feeding them more often, several times a day plus I always wipe the floor around the bowls with either soap and water or vinegar to catch any fallen bits of food. The water bowl is changed out daily but without food to attract the ants it seems to be left alone. Human food or drink, including water, is not allowed anywhere except in the kitchen or dining room. This includes bottled water if guests bring any.

Some of these measures may seem extreme but they're not, really. And I am completely free of ants.