Software
Houzz Logo Print
susan_beecher

Would Love to See Examples of Kitchen Back Splashes that are NOT Tile

12 years ago
I just don't like having to deal with cleaning grout in my kitchen. I would really like to replace the ugly wallpaper that is the current back splash in my kitchen with something else that is not tile. I have searched on the Internet and on Houzz with few results. Help!

Comments (12)

  • 12 years ago
    I would especially like to see lower-cost options. Thanks!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Laminate! It's classic, affordable, strong, tons of choice and tons of fabricators!
    Susan Beecher thanked Siegler Design Services + INTERIORS
  • 12 years ago
    You can use pretty much anything. I was searching a while back and someone suggesting tin ceiling tiles. Mirrors. Wallpaper. Stone.

    Seriously. You can use anything. It comes down to price and practicality.
  • 12 years ago
    I have a glass splash back, though I am in Australia. Are glass splash backs considered lower end in your part of the world? If so, and you'd like to see a photo I can oblige.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Glass backslashes are an expensive item here when they have a colored coating on the backside because, it is a commercial product. The coating is proprietary and meets high performance standards. This being a big project product (building glass) then makes it expensive for average homes. It is beautiful for sure. I think DIY'ers sometimes try to do their own back painted glass but, the tricky part is the warranty. In kitchens are steam and heat and moisture and so the glass coating needs to not fail or will look pretty awful.
    Susan Beecher thanked Siegler Design Services + INTERIORS
  • 12 years ago
    Hi Susan, Congrats on your upcoming kitchen renovation. Have you considered a Corian backsplash (zero grout), seamlessly integrated with Corian counter top ? That's what I did for our recent whole-house remodel, and I like it a lot -- both for the clean and sleek look, and great for cleaning and maintenance.
  • 12 years ago
    IKEA has some plain smooth backsplash materials, not very many colors, and simple, but easy clean--I think there is a stainless steel looking option. Tile installers these days are using smaller and smaller grout lines so at least its getting better. I think the grout sealers are also better than they used to be so a good installer together with really good sealing job might make your life easier if you choose tile again. Wood is an option, and maybe the tin they use for ceiling panels if you like that look. Here is a wood look in a laundry room but you could go lighter as well. With a marine grade finish it is waterproof. [houzz=
    Cottage by the Coast · More Info
    ]
    Susan Beecher thanked touchadream
  • 9 years ago

    Am thinking of using Berkeley cambria quartz counter top with maple floor and cream cabinets. We have exposed beams and a high ceiling. Can you please recommend a slab backsplash? We don;t like tiles. Would the Berkeley Cambria be too busy? Can you think of another quartz that would "go" with the Berkeley but be more muted? Thanks so much.


  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Hi Mazum, we're delighted to hear you are considering Cambria Quartz for your upcoming project. For your design plan, if you would like movement in the countertop, please take a look at our Coastal Collection: https://www.cambriausa.com/coastal-collection/ and if you would like to keep the lighter palette please take a look at our marble collection: https://www.cambriausa.com/marble-collection/. Our Berwyn design is also a popular color that pairs well with the cream cabinetry and light floors: https://www.cambriausa.com/Designs/design-palette/berwyn/ See more designs in our Inspiration Gallery for various styles in use: here. Let us know if you have any other questions! Thank you.

  • 9 years ago

    Thank you so much for your response . We do not want the pattern to be busy and need to pick up some of the brown in the ceiling and floor ,as in the glaze on cabinet since the fireplace is not far ........would like the back splash to be cuddington or fairbourne....need a countertop that works well ......please suggest ....any thoughts on linwood, lincolnshire, nevern and buckingham (seems busy in pictures but picks up all the colors ).....really confused with all the samples in front of me !!!!

  • 9 years ago

    mazum, why don't you start your own post? you are commenting on a thread that's 3 years old, and this person will get notifications from it. start your own and get more answers. thx.