Software
Houzz Logo Print
brooklyngirl8

14 years ago
Hi Ben,

I am new here at Houzz so forgive me if I break any question asking rules. We own a Brownstone in Clinton Hill. My question is. What exactly is involved in removing the (supposed load bearing) walls on both the parlor and garden floors. My next question is I see a radiator cover but am very interested in running HVAC for better air quality. Is that possible in an old Brownstone?

Thanks.
Park Slope Brownstone · More Info

Comments (6)

  • PRO
    14 years ago
    You need to schedule a visit with a local contractor who knows codes, products and exactly what is typicaly behind the walls in houses like yours. Removing load bearing walls is possible because they put an I-beam in the ceiling to spread the load in the other direction. Not a small, easy, neat job, but a wonderful way to get more open space. This is a gorgeous room!
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Oh, that was a great answer. I'm going to save it!
  • 14 years ago
    Thank you both for responding. Ben, we have had 2 contractors in to look at the HVAC and I think they ran screaming because my only non-negotiable was they could not hack up the plaster ceilings. Once they knew that they were hesitant to go further. My hubby also thinks it would be impossible to take down the center walls (the ones that run front to back) on both the garden and parlor floors without some major sagging taking place. So I am sort of stuck in limbo.

    I will keep watching what you post. Your work is lovely.
  • 13 years ago
    This is so inviting! What treatment is on the ceiling? It really is beautiful!
  • 13 years ago
    Would you mind sharing what color/brand paint you used...the walls are wonderful!