Software
Houzz Logo Print
paul_wei

What molding to use?

12 years ago
I'm replacing the base molding in my 1 bedroom apartment and would like something modern but not overly simplistic . My ceiling is 8 feet high and I'd like to make the ceiling feel higher. The previous owners put in trim around the window which looks nice but it also seems a bit diy.

I'm leaning towards not having crown molding unless anyone feels it would help in this instance. But mainly am looking for suggestions on the base molding. Thanks!

Comments (16)

  • 12 years ago
    Thanks! I think I'll probably keep the trim. I can attach a close up of it tonight when I get back home. But I'd like to replace the base trim; it's in pretty bad shape and I'm thinking of using a trim that's 5 1/4 " The current one is 3.5" and very thin.
  • 12 years ago
    Any other suggestions?
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I am not a designer, but is it that you don't like crown moulding or do you think it is too traditional for your space? To me it finishes the room. Look at the trim and moulding in this room below, this is a more modern style.
    Spruce Street · More Info


    Here is another one with different trim treatments
    San Francisco Whole House Remodel · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks Denita. I like crown molding but I'm not sure how I would implement it for my rooms because my ceilings aren't high and there is probably less than an inch above my windows for the molding to go. Unless I remove the trim around my windows; in which case there would be some more room but still not a lot.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    If you look at the example from Spruce St in my post you will see that quite a bit of the crown moulding actually on the ceiling. It has a 3 layer effect in that photo. You could do it with two layers and an experienced finish carpenter knows how to install properly around your window trim space. The key is finding a source for a good moulding installer. That's where a pro can help!
  • 12 years ago
    That does look nice and adds something new to consider. I was hoping to DIY though and crown molding on the ceiling might be a tad too cutting edge for me tbh :P
  • 12 years ago
    Hi Paul, Congrats on your bedroom renovation. How about a wood base with wood base shoe ? :)
    Victoria Architectural Millwork · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks Ed! I like the shoe molding idea and will probably do that. Right now I'm leaning towards white molding. Do you think I can go with a 5 1/4 inch for a room with 8 foot ceilings ? I read that a tall simple molding can help make the ceilings seem higher. Also my current molding is only 3.5 inches and seems dinky.
  • 12 years ago
    Yoboseiyo,
    Here's a closer look at the window trim. It does look nice. I still feel like there could be a way to integrate the top part better with the ceiling.
  • 12 years ago
    What's the width of the window trim..perhaps mimic on the baseboard?
  • 12 years ago
    Hi Paul, I think either 5 1/4" or 3.5" would work just fine. Mine is less than 3" and it still looks great. The one in the Victoria Architectural Millwork looks like 3.5" or 5.25" to you ? If you are really unsure, maybe you can buy some art paper or styrofoam boards and cut them into both sizes, 3.5" and 5.25", and put them at the bottom of your walls and see which one you like better ? ( I really think either one would work; it's entirely your preference. :)
  • 12 years ago
    id keep the base for that size room, however I would add crown.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    If your looking for different styles of moulding's to choose from our moulding profile catalog might be of help you, www.mirror-reflections.com 14,500 moulding to choose from with a intuitive search engine to make it fast and easy.
    Good luck
    I hope that helps
    Happy Thanksgiving!
  • 12 years ago
    fluting and rosettes aren't modern. How about replacing the window trim and integrating it with a simple cornice like this ;

    Wally Sears · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    That's a good suggestion. I may try that. Thanks Steve!
Sponsored
AIS Renovations
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County, Ohio