Software
Houzz Logo Print
lynnlowe

Staircase Corner

12 years ago
This is my staircase corner. I have just removed two wingback chairs that no one ever used. Want a new fresh look here, any ideas?

Comments (36)

  • 12 years ago
    Do you use the hall tree?
    lynnlowe thanked dclostboy
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I would also re trim out you stairway, removing the scallop edge. OK- I would also remove the wooden spindle ballisters with metal ones;)
    Foyer Painting | Staircase Staining | Naperville Remodeling Contractor Lotz · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    Like all Margo's ideas except removing the spindles. They look good as is.
  • 12 years ago
    Like adding the bombay chest and mirror and removing that funky scalloped edge. I've never seen anything like that on staircase. In my old kitchen, yes ...... but it's gone now!
  • 12 years ago
    However, I do now find myself craving some scalloped potatoes;)
  • 12 years ago
    Or you could create a little design tension by leaving the gingerbread trim and using a modern dresser and lamp. Then kind of go middle ground with the rug. Make sure it's. 5X7 or 6X8 rug - the biggest you can fit in there while still leaving a bit of a border.

    Call me crazy, but can anyone see that gingerbread painted navy - if the color is used elsewhere that is? Before you ask, I'm not drinking!
  • 12 years ago
    I like your colors Karemore but not feeling the navy gingerbread trim;)
  • 12 years ago
    In that case,probably the trim should go :))
  • 12 years ago
    I like that modern dresser, karenmore. Where did you find it?
  • 12 years ago
    That was easy lol
  • 12 years ago
    The hall tree was the very first piece of furniture I ever bought (many years ago). It most definitely does not have to stay. Thanks so much for all your suggestions. I am thrilled as I have never posted on Houzz before. I have georgeous metal railings pinned on Pinterest that I love. You know you have things in your house (like the scalloped trim) that is there and you really don't pay much attention to those details after awhile. We built this house 18 years ago and its soooo time to update! I originally was thinking of putting a built in bench seat there. This is my foyer which is open to the second story so it is a really large space.
  • 12 years ago
    Maybe color the stair rails white
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I don't think a built in bench seat would offer enough flexibility. Rather a bench seat like those shown above. Or possibly a console table with a bench seat underneath and a piece of art or a mirror above the table and a tall plant either real or fake in the area of where the existing furniture piece is. The "decorative" trim on the stairs should be removed. I would then add a nice area rug at the front door to finish it off.
  • 12 years ago
    An area rug would be nice!
  • 12 years ago
    Well, depending on how many changes you'd like to make, you could paint the stair bannister a charcoal grey and replace the gingerbread trim with a classic molding.

    You could do a console table as suggested above with one or two ottomans underneath. Hallway mirror, indoor/outdoor rug and you're good to go!
  • 12 years ago
    Happyasaclam, the dresser is the Linea from Crate & Barrel:)
  • 12 years ago
    LOL Margo, you didn't get an argument on painting the gingerbread trim navy because it would only work if you were into that Jonathan Adler Happy Chic look, or if you were an aging hippie who was having trouble letting go!

    Also, I was headed out on a hike - no time to argue lol!
  • 12 years ago
    I think the scalloped edge is okay and an interesting feature, but it stands out too much. Make it into a subtle decorative detail by painting it the same white trim color as the balusters. You may also consider painting the backs of the stairs at the same time for a fresher, classic look.
  • 12 years ago
    Also, Lynn, what style are you looking for? What about the rest of your house? Hard to give suggestions unless we know what your style might be -- country, classic, traditional, hollywood glam, modern?
  • 12 years ago
    karemore, thank you so much!
  • 12 years ago
    Yes, I like the scalloped edge trim. Blue colored??? That would definitely make a BOLD statement with blue trimmed stairs.
  • 12 years ago
    The shapes on karemores blue and navy rugs are dodecahedrons. Yes I did count the sides. Yes I do have a life.
  • 12 years ago
    Dog bed on chest with drawers as on an earlier dilemma. If no dog, put an occasional table.
  • 12 years ago
    Chookchook I know what you're up to! Believe me I didn't even think about that when I posted that rug!
  • 12 years ago
    Oh hold on here, People - Lynn is in the Bahamas! Gingerbread trim allowed! OK I stand behind my original idea - gingerbread trim stays and paint it navy. Bahamas makes all the difference (slaps head).
  • 12 years ago
    Or white as novice noodled suggests.
  • 12 years ago
    I always love a tabs for your keys etc and put two ottomans underneath that can pull out if needed to sit, ottomans are best to store your hats and mitts or dog supplies etc.
  • 12 years ago
    Sorry lynn! *slapping head too*! Leave that trim as is!!!
  • 12 years ago
    Mittens in the Bahamas hmmm...interesting concept!
  • 12 years ago
    And novicenoodled, I didn't mean to call you novice noodled. It was auto-correct's fault.
  • 12 years ago
    Novicenoodler novicenoodler novicenoodler - spell it three times really fast!
  • 12 years ago
    How about some nice large tropical plants?
  • 12 years ago
    Really like Gen's idea for my stairway nook.. Great arrangement for mittens and doggy supplies. Would have a difficult time pulling off the arrangement, though. Seems pretty intricate.
  • 12 years ago
    Haha it's okay, Karemore, you can just use "noodler" in the future if that is easier :)
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I never tire of this picture…
    Upper West Side Residence · More Info