Software
Houzz Logo Print
lisakh

Help with Master Bedroom/Bathroom remodel

12 years ago
last modified: 12 years ago
I have laid dark hardwood floors, painted walls and trim and purchased new bed, bedding, area rugs. Bedroom is large "L" shape 23'L X 14'W (cathedral ceiling), nook 11'L X 8W'" (flat ceiling). Bed is on far wall upon entering room with triple sliding door onto small balcony overlooking lake. Large adjoining bath entrance to right of bed. Want to create seating area on entrance wall when entering room to avoid cavernous feel with 23' bedroom. Would like help with furniture & arrangement for seating area on wall.
SEATING AREA - On entrance wall (photo of blank wall) I'm thinking of building fireplace/mantle w/flat screen TV above. Also surrounding builtin cabinets on sides of fireplace. Two comfortable chairs with coffee table/hassock on rug facing fireplace. Wall is odd shape due to two ceiling heights. Would like fireplace/cabinets to pull together this area and adjacent nook. Not sure what to put in nook area since seating is already provided. - maybe desk/console? Existing furniture and area rug DOES NOT stay.
BED - Want large 40" w chest of drawers on both sides of bed. Existing ones too small from previous bedroom set. Not sure if I should use creamy, weathered look or mirrored chest of drawers here. Perhaps something at end of bed?
BATHROOM - Want to glam up bathroom. Thinking crystal/bronze chandelier over bathtub. Don't care for existing "silver" fixtures but lack access point to remove tub faucet to replace all of them. UGH. Anyway to modernize tile without replacing it entirely? Perhaps glass trim pieces? Suggestion to re-upholster small vanity chair.

Comments (46)

  • 12 years ago
    Additional Master bedroom pictures!
  • 12 years ago
    Additional bathroom pictures, inspiration rug. Bedroom wall color SW 6215, bathroom SW 6214
  • 12 years ago
    The only thing that came to mind when you said something for nook was an antique writing desk. Something like this.
    [houzz=
    Pacific Heights Georgian Mansion · More Info
    ]
  • 12 years ago
    Hi lisakh, first of all,what a beautiful room you have there! And that rug - gorgeous!

    A few thoughts - I prefer your idea of weathered dressers/night tables as opposed to mirrored. I think mirrored will look out of place in your casual bedroom. Not that you can't have a bit of bling in there! But I would do the bling with silk curtain panels and elegant bedside lamps - or even a semi-flush mount chandelier if the bedroom has an overhead light.

    If you don't need the bedside tables to both be dressers, you could place a desk like the one shown in the above comment to keep things interesting. Matching dressers works too though.

    I'm wondering if the plan for the TV is so that you can watch it from bed. Or would you use the chairs you are thinking of getting (swivel maybe?) for TV watching? What I'm getting at is maybe it makes more sense to set up the nook as the reading/relaxing area,with two swivel rockers (slipcovered) or just one chaise, along with a small side table and floor lamp. Then you could do a long bench in front of FP/TV area. This still leaves quite a bit of room between the bed and FP area, but both the bed and the built-ins are bulky, and your room colors are very warm, so I don't think you have to worry about it looking bare.

    About the bathroom: IMHO the wall color that is so gorgeous in your bedroom isn't working so well in your bathroom. I would pull a lovely caramel from the tile colors for the walls. I think you will get a warmer, softer feel in here, and a caramel would really enrich the dark colors of the vanities. My best guess would be S-W Kilim Beige or Nomadic Desert, but you'll have to play around to get the perfect color. Mas long as it is the same intensity and harmonizes with the green, it will look fine.

    You could then go into the ORB finishes for chandy and towel bars, leaving faucets chrome. If you want to have a little fun recovering that chair, consider a cheetah print - it would look fantastic!

    Hope these ideas help you with your decision-making! Posting the two paint colors mentioned, as well as a couple of bench ideas. For chairs in the nook, look no further than Pottery Barn for white slipcovered swivel rockers. Find a round ottoman that coordinates with the wall and rug colors. And don't forget to pick up a couple more PB pillows for the chairs!
    lisakh thanked karemore55
  • 12 years ago
    I like the writing desk idea. Perfect for a lap top. If working late can still be in room hearing the dulcet tones of beloved sleeping. ( I did that all night one night when planning a trip!)
    lisakh thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    karemore, some great ideas, especially the bathroom. If only we could all have such a beautiful MB to decorate! :)
    I think candlesticks on counter could be something softer as well.

    lisakh, Just wanted to show you another picture of Georgian Mansion, just to show that bookshelves are on just one side of fireplace. You could balance out the other side with some large art. Would door be in the way if built in were on both sides of fireplace?
    [houzz=
    Pacific Heights Georgian Mansion · More Info
    ]
    This other desk style would probably fit a casual/comtemporary style better.
    [houzz=
    Charlotte Home · More Info
    ]
  • 12 years ago
    Karenmore 55. Thank you so much for your well thought out response. I haven't been as thrilled with the color in the bathroom either. Interestingly, the color you've chosen are similar to wall colors throughout my house, thus the reason I chose the dusty blue green for my bedroom walls. I agree the nook is better suited for the relaxing area however, due to the length of the room and the vaulted ceiling, I really need weight at the opposite end of the bedroom to counter the bed, area rug and night stands. So yes, I envision the comfy chairs facing a fireplace/built in on the blank wall. What is ORB finish?? I am struggling to pull the silver hardware finish that I can't change (including the shower surround) with a complementary finish. BTW I love the benches. Perhaps I could incorporate one at the foot of the bed. Also need a tall armoire of something to line the wall to the right of the bathroom entry. Thank you so much for all your suggestions. It is always fun to get exciting ideas from other HOUZZ readers.
  • 12 years ago
    Marlene - Thank you for the picture of the off centered Georgian Mansion fireplace. I think something like this would work well in my space. To answer your question, unfortunately my double doors would interfere with bookshelves on both sides of the fireplace thus the need for an asymmetric design. I like the idea of candle sticks on the marble counter in the bathroom. Very luxurious.
  • 12 years ago
    Marlene - I also love the little antique writing desk. We are fortunate to have a beautiful, tranquil lake behind our house. I would love to have a similar desk but facing out the bay window to take advantage of the view. Love the tall plant behind the desk to soften, and naturalize, the look. Thank you ladies for your fabulous recommendation. I am inspired to carry on!
  • 12 years ago
    I think your reading corner, with or without the antique desk, requires a classic reading lamp instead of the torchiere. The rug there is a bit small too, unless my monitor is distorting it. I'd want it to extend out to the point where the ceiling architecture changes. Lovely color! Keep tweaking!
    Pharmacy Lamp · More Info
    Katonah House · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    Marlene I know you recommended weathered, creamy nightstands, rather than mirrored ones. but I found the attached Hooker chest as a possibility. Or this beautiful, but I am sure very expensive, Habersham option: http://www.habershamhome.com/product/product.php?f=17-2161
  • 12 years ago
    Lisakh, I think it was me that opened my mouth and said I didn't think mirrored chests would look right, but I see I spoke too soon! That Hooker piece is a perfect marriage of old world and mirrored glam so I changed my mind and am now a believer! When you said mirrored,the first thing that popped into my head was Art Deco -'my mistake!
  • 12 years ago
    Btw, ORB stands for oil-rubbed bronze. You could use it for your towel bars and chandelier and leave the rest shiny chrome -'perfectly acceptable.
  • 12 years ago
    Lisa, The first bench was from z gallerie, and the second is the Martha Stewart Lombard from home decorators.com.
  • 12 years ago
    Lisa, this cabinet from Crate and Barrel might look good on that wall. The weave on the front of its doors remind me of the weave on the fabric of your bed frame.
  • 12 years ago
    Lisa, you could consider going quite a bit lighter on that paint strip for your bathroom color - to Rainwashed (third pic). The color in first pic is Sea Salt, which is slightly greyer and more complex. Second pic is a bathroom painted in Sea Salt, which has similar colors to your own bathroom. I like the Sea Salt best because of the grey in it, which gives it a soft muted tone.
  • 12 years ago
    Lisa, one more thing - you were wanting to bring more personality into your bathroom, and if there is anywhere at all where you could hang a piece of art, this will be the way to really give that room soul. Bathrooms can be cold with all the hard surfaces, and you have to work hard at bringing in some texture. You could do plantation shutters on the window over the tub also. And, of course, the chandelier!
  • 12 years ago
    I was just going to comment it was karemore who mentioned the nightstands. Both of your picks are very nice.
    lisakh, I suppose I'm just a romantic at heart. When I seen your nook, what came to mind was in days gone by a lady sitting at her desk writing love letters, We can still do that except now we would send an email on our laptop. :) I think it would be lovely to have desk/seating (whatever you choose) facing your view.
    For bookshelves beside fireplace, are you thing of something freestanding, or is it possible to recess it like in the mansion picture?
  • 12 years ago
    Your room looks very cozy and I LOVE the rug :) nice work!
    lisakh thanked Meghan
  • 12 years ago
    My electrician said open chandeliers were dangerous in bathrooms and wouldn't hang mine.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Lovely colors and taste. The only thing I noticed is all the empty walls (I'm an artist - that's what I see first :) )

    Check out my artwork to see if it matches your taste. I have many originals, and hundreds of configurations of canvas prints that I can print to the size you choose.

    https://www.etsy.com/shop/katshoa

    Enjoy decorating!
    lisakh thanked Shoa Gallery
  • 12 years ago
    Wow ladies thank you so much for the comments. Where to begin? Karen - I really liked the old world look of the mirrored night stand as well. My only fear is that they are too wide. Ideally, I'd like something no larger than 40" W and these are 42". They would fit right up against both sides of the bed so I'm afraid it may appear cramped. What is your opinion? I LOVE those pictures Marlene. Where did you find them? I do have a large wall that is across from the shower. (pictured) Unfortunately, it is not visible when you walk in so it doesn't soften the view from the entrance doorway. I agree the hardest thing decorating a bathroom is softening the hard finishes. I'm afraid I am not very good at it. I love plantation shutters but feared this was yet another hard surface. How about stationary wall panels drapes along side the plantation shutters? Also I would have to build out the frame because the window isn't deep enough for shutters. As for the bathroom color, I shied away from anything with grey undertones because the bed and the drapes are warmer caramel tones. Also the tile has caramel tones in it. (The tile is a little maddening because in certain lights it can have a pinkest cast to it!!) Do you think the Sea Salt would be ok? Marlene - I am going to splurge and have a fireplace and bookcase built. I am toying with the idea of also adding crown molding to soften the ceiling height and using it to tie in the fireplace and built ins. I am thinking of taking the fireplace to the ceiling, having a nice, large traditional mantel with fluted pilasters and molding to match the crowns. Still unsure if I should use stone for the fireplace or some type of tile. I attached another picture of the wall and the entrance door challenge for the fireplace. Chookchook2 thanks for the info on your electrician refusing to hang your chandelier. Perhaps there are ordinances prohibiting it in your city. My neighbor has one and it's not a problem here. The chandeliers were exactly what I had in mind as well.
  • 12 years ago
    Oops wrong picture. This is a night stand that I didn't want --too much mirror and glitz.
  • 12 years ago
    Another option for nightstand. Idea for stacked stone fireplace?
  • 12 years ago
    Hi Lisa, First the night stands. If 42" would bring your night stands right up to your bed, I'm wondering if you should be looking for 36". You will need about 6" on each side for bed making, I think. We have a similar situation where we are using dressers as night stands. They were bought in our last house, which had more room. Now they just fit with, at most, 6" on each side of the bed and it's just barely enough space for bed making. I do love the last pic you posted - those night stands will look beautiful too. You have great taste!

    About the FP idea - tiling it to the ceiling would certainly take advantage of that interesting roofline. That's what I would do, but I'm trying to not get involved in your built-ins because I'm not good at that sort of thing! The stone you showed, I presume, is found in the tile section of the store? I'll post a few more below but basically you don't need to go thicker than the mosaic type wall tiles used in bathrooms. That Eldorado stone that is good for Indoors or out would overwhelm a bedroom, I think. I like the stone/tile in pic 4 - it comes in 12"X24" strips, which would give an interesting effect. Maybe more modern? The others are the 12"X12" mosaic sheets.
  • 12 years ago
    The paintings are giclee prints available from an etsy vendor. Hopefully you can read the info when you enlarge the pic below.

    If your tile tends to turn pinkish in certain lights, I'm thinking Sea Salt, or any green for that matter, won't be the way to go. You're probably best to go with a caramel color,which should neutralize the pink tones in the tile.

    I don't know why I didn't think of it before, but a cloth .roman shade is perfect for your bathroom window! PB has some ready-made that might work (they have standard sizes). There's also an online store called tonicliving.com which makes curtains and Roman shades to order - you pick from their fabric selection. Here's a couple of examples of their fabrics. They tend toward modern and trendy, but you should be able to find the "perfect" print there!
    lisakh thanked karemore55
  • 12 years ago
    lisakh, I believe it was Karemore whom found the art, and they are beautiful. Too bad the mirrored nightstands weren't a little smaller. I even found them in antique white finish. Here is another option for nightstands. These are exactly 40". Not mirror, but some detail on drawers.
    [houzz=
    Raised Lattice Front Chest · More Info
    ]
    Also another option, if you found something like this style, it probably wouldn't be hard for mirror to be added to the drawer fronts because there is already trim there.
    [houzz=
    Cara and Cole Nightstand-Black · More Info
    ]

    I like the stacked stone. It has a more casual feel than a tile, while colors are still soft. I'm just picturing marble tile though, and I know there are a lot of tiles out there.
    Yes to crown moulding.
    And I believe the risk with chandelier over tub, is that if it not installed properly, or is within reach, and you come in contact while you're wet....Building codes always change so check first. But it looks like you have lots of ceiling height above the tub.
    lisakh thanked MarleneM
  • 12 years ago
    I had something totally different in mind when you said fireplace to the ceiling. This is what I thought you meant, something like this with just stone around the firebox. Or did you mean stone to the ceiling?
    [houzz=
    Traditional Living Room · More Info
    ]
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Marlene - i like the lattice front chest. The black is too heavy for my room. Looking for warm browns. I don't know about you but I like to see furniture pieces in person if at all possible. I need to be careful that the finish is warm (caramel) and not too yellow or grey. I confess I haven't gotten too far on the fireplace configuration. I am open to either stone/tile to the ceiling with a painted wood mantle/built in shelves and crown molding to tie them together OR a more traditional fireplace like you've shown with only a stone or tile surround. I, too, am not very good with fireplace options and welcome suggestions/pictures. I am hoping to use a contractor that built cabinets/bar shelving for my lower level. He may have suggestions too. Biggest challenge is the asymmetric design. Thank you so much for sharing your ideas.
  • 12 years ago
    Karemore I love your idea of cloth roman shades for the window. It certainly would provide that softer edge so much needed in my bathroom. I have a step up to the tub which I can get a beautiful basket and roll plush towels to also serve to soften the area. Add the pictures to the wall, area rug, chandelier. I may look for a chair with a skirt for the vanity that would also provide a little softness. Any other ideas. As you can see I have a long, beautiful marble counter but struggle with items place on it. I do have two electric outlets on the inside of each sinks. I have toyed with the idea of tall candlestick lamps but thought they might fight with the three wall light fixtures. I'd welcome your opinion on these issues too. Thank you so much for your input
  • 12 years ago
    Karemore - Also I liked both of the two bottom stones. Where did you find them? Of the top two, one was too dark and the other too white I think.
  • 12 years ago
    Good morning Lisa! Well, it is for me! The tiles you liked are posted below. I hope they enlarge,enough for you to see the tile names. First one is Home Depot and second is from Lowe's.

    I had another look at your vanity and it is already beautiful! You really don't need to change anything at all. The candles are a good idea as they bring in that fifth element for good feng shui - fire. If you wanted the candles to be more practical, ie. so that you would actually use them, you could put one pillar candle in a glass hurricane. But, really, what you have looks beautiful!

    Other options might be a beautiful tray that you could keep toiletries on, or a large apothecary jar with lid that you fill with soaps, or maybe pieces of beach glass that you buy from Michaels. Maybe a couple of Tuscan urns from Pottery Barn -'their rugged look,would look gorgeous against the luxurious marble countertops.

    I'll post some pics below, but again, it looks fine as is!
  • 12 years ago
    Here's a few ideas:
  • 12 years ago
    And a few more:
  • 12 years ago
    lisakh, I too wouldn't order furniture online. (well did once ordering a bookshelf from IKEA for my craft room, and came damaged) I should have said they black was too dark, but just wanted to give an example of the drawer style, that mirrors could be added. Those pictures were just to get you an idea of different options when you are out shopping. It has happenned to me more than once when I have something specific in mind, and then can't find it.
    I searched aroung Houzz pictures for fireplace ideas and asymmetric fireplace pictues look quite modern (too me anyway). This first picture is modern, but try to imagine it with lighter stone, and minus the wood hearth(ledge) and the stone on wall. Add a mantle and bookshelf on right, large atr on left.
    [houzz=
    Organic Modern · More Info
    ]
    If you wanted something more traditional, something like this other picture, with stone just around opening, then you could continue the painted wood to ceiling, bookshelf on right, with maybe 2 doors at bottom of bookshelf, and then on left some wainscot to mimic the look of the 2 doors, and the your artwork above the wainscott. I would keep any trim or crown to a simple profile to go with the casual theme of the room.
    [houzz=
    living room · More Info
    ]
    Here is another option if you have room for narrow bookshelves on each side.
    [houzz=
    Master Bedroom Retreat · More Info
    ]
  • 12 years ago
    It's all been said. Such great ideas , and the pictures! Please post your room once it's completed.
  • 12 years ago
    Marlene, I like that first FP pic you posted. With a light stone it would look gorgeous in this room!
  • 12 years ago
    That's my fav too.
  • 12 years ago
    Which one is the first one Marlene posted - the "Brownhouse Design" or the "Organic Modern"?
  • 12 years ago
    Lisa, I was voting for the Organic Modern. I like the idea of using that vaulted ceiling to give your room a true "retreat" feel.
  • 12 years ago
    Yes, the organic modern was first.
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks ladies for all of the help. I have my work cut out for me. Will be purchasing chest of drawers for nightstands and contacting finish carpenter for fireplace/bookshelves. Promise to post pictures as I make progress.
  • 12 years ago
    Happy renovating, Lisa!
    lisakh thanked karemore55
  • 12 years ago
    You're welcome. You are going to have a beautiful MB! Can't wait to see pictures.
    lisakh thanked MarleneM
  • 12 years ago
    Lisa, your room is going to be gorgeous. I love your choices. I was very excited to see this conversation. I just selected your bedroom color for my entry foyer! I was a spontaneous choice and I'm so glad to see how beautiful it is in your room.