Software
Houzz Logo Print
cmertz912

I have a very small two bedroom house. I am looking to update!

12 years ago
last modified: 12 years ago
I will attach photos later, but I really need some ideas for my two bedroom house. I would like to have one master bedroom (small) and an office. The bathroom is so small that I can literally touch the bathtub from the toilet, and storage is an issue. As well as there being one bathroom. It is difficult for me to find something to fit into these spaces, especially when the living room and kitchen share the same wall, so I can't paint them two different colors. The basement is a wreck, there being a flooding before I bought the house. The house needs a lot of work, and I'm on a small budget. Any ideas?

Comments (5)

  • 12 years ago
    Hi. Okay, this isn't very creative, but I'd say priority number one is to make plans for your basement to be flood-proof. If such a thing is possible. Then design it as a miracle of storage, plus a corner as a place for games or whatever, so that you get pleasure from it too. You want everything you don't use almost every day to be neatly packed away; it sounds as though you won't have room for loads of stuff in the other rooms. Don't worry about living room and kitchen sharing a wall, and so sharing a colour. It can look wonderful.
    cmertz912 thanked Rina
  • 12 years ago
    That is priority one, but it is also boring, the reason I have a limited budget is because I've already spent a lot of money on insulation and fixing the plumbing.
  • 12 years ago
    In general, first, Rina is correct. Make certain you are safe from foundation damage or the like ,which could make any changes a waste of money. So # 1 is assure structural integrity before investing in anything else. It's no fun, but otherwise you will live in fear! It's not necessary that the basement be a useful space but it shouldn't be a constant worry...

    W/o a floor plans it's not possible i to imagine changes. I would look for walls that could be used with built-in storage, perhaps using the between the studs space for part of the built-ins - in one tiny cottage, my Sig Other made expansive Bathroom Wall cabinets using only that space and adding mirrored doors. Another friend did this in two small baths.

    For bedroom and office, you might also use built-in to make the best use of space, maybe using "kitchen" cabinets to create custom storage and desk space - same style carrying over from room to room.
  • 12 years ago
    Good for you! Yes, very, very booooring. But it's number one. Now you can start thinking, for a start, of how that basement could be designed with floor-to-ceiling fitted furniture: shelves, cupboard areas small, large, high, low, depending on what you want to store there. White or other light colour is great for a basement -- or do you want a man cave there? Then you could paint the storage ... er ... depends on your man. Burgundy? Wall areas ... what do you like? Bright colours? Pastels? Neutrals? Just realise that space can be exciting too, and you'll feel better about the boring, expensive work you've done.

    And then you can have a whole lot of fun with the rest.
  • 12 years ago
    PS Oldblackdog. Wow. I don't know about American wall structures. I'm v v impressed! But it may depend on how the house is built? Mine is brick, brick, brick, brick.