Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
qwanda

Desperately Seeking Artwork for Bare Wall

qwanda
10 years ago
Sadly, this wall has been bare for SEVEN years because I haven’t found the right artwork (canvas, ironwork, woodwork, au natural hangings, etc). However, I now want this room to be complete. The wall in this room is very wide and requires more than one piece of artwork. Please help me by including visual recommendations (actual artwork) and where I can purchase it. Our taste is traditional, warm colors. I love Pottery Barn, Restoration Hardware, Room & Board, Arhaus, Joss & Main, Serena & Lily, etc. My husband does not want artwork with flowers or fruit or that's whimsical--or any type of shelving installed. Art with a nature scene or an African American cultural scene (Southern roots) would work. Other than that, we have no idea what to do with that space.

Next, do I need a tall plant in the far, right corner? There is an air filter at the bottom that I don’t want to cover, but a potted plant should be fine, right? What height?

Also, please recommend an end table and lamp for the left side of sofa (by the window). Right now the cable box sits on the arm of the sectional. The end table should have a back to hide the cable box cables/wires.

I added the last 2 pictures just to give you an idea of the entire space.

Thanks in advance!!!

Comments (58)

• PRO
    Siegler Design Services + INTERIORS
    10 years ago
    I'm thinking sepia tone and photography canvas would maintain the serene vibe I get from room. You have lively color in sofa so, I think natural tones of sepia photography could look warm and interesting. Will create sketch for you and post.
    qwanda thanked Siegler Design Services + INTERIORS
  • barnandbungalow
    10 years ago
    I think square or rectangle art would not work with the squareness of the sofa and ottoman. What about a large industrial letter/letters instead? Or a large round or oval mirror?

I would also consider a sofa table behind the couch on the right. You could add some pretty table lamps there and that would also fill the space as you view that wall , provide some low lighting, and a place to set a glass down.

You have a lovely space and I love your rattan cubes. Best of luck!

barnandbungalow.com
    qwanda thanked barnandbungalow
  • PRO
    It's a Beautiful World!
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Hi qwanda, you are welcome to check out our page here to see if there is anything you may like. Here are a few ideas. You can order our art prints on canvas or on art paper/framed, in any size you need. And you will see more art choices at
    http://ben-and-raisa-gertsberg.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html Enjoy!... Raisa
    Indian Summer, by Ben and Raisa Gertsberg, fine art print · More Info

Blooming Desert No 1, by Ben and Raisa Gertsberg - canvas art, art print · More Info

Wind, by Ben & Raisa Gertsberg, fine art print · More Info

Sunset In Santa Catalina Harbor, by Ben & Raisa Gertsberg, fine art print · More Info

Tree Bark No 1, by Ben & Raisa Gertsberg, fine art print · More Info

Tree Bark No 2, by Ben & Raisa Gertsberg, fine art print · More Info
    qwanda thanked It's a Beautiful World!
  • User
    10 years ago
    Original African- American art bought directly from the artist would put the money where it is most needed.
    qwanda thanked User
  • Ed
    10 years ago
    Hi qwanda, the bare wall looks fantastic as it is, no need to hang anything on it. Not sad at all. Congrats on your SEVEN years of unfettered open spacious feeling! :)
    Bay Area Modern - Whole house remodel · More Info

River House · More Info
    qwanda thanked Ed
  • PRO
    Cookartworks
    10 years ago
    Hi Qwanda

If you like I can show you some original work I have in inventory that might work. Send me the exact same pic of your room but this time place an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of white paper on the wall. And my app will do the rest. I will send you back some selections and you can see them directly on your wall.

Regards

Cam

cookartworks.ca
    qwanda thanked Cookartworks
  • PRO
    All 4 Show, LLC
    10 years ago
    You are right about putting a tall house plant in the corner. Since the return vent is there get something that has a big canopy, like a ficus. Maybe a really good faux plant that you don't need to worry about mold spores from the dirt traveling thru your house. I'd start with that! The plant will give you a better indication as to how big your art work can be above the sectional. Do you really need a side table? It may be kind of tight on that wall...good luck! :)
    qwanda thanked All 4 Show, LLC
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    I think this is stunning -- http://www.ebay.com/bhp/african-american-tapestry. I don't know the dimensions but it is called a throw, so it could be big enough to hold that space.
    qwanda thanked Rina
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    10 years ago
    I go along with trying to find a local artist that you like and spend the money on originals, we have done that for years after wasting money on prints. I don't think we have wasted a dime, our only rule is we want to meet the artist and we both have to agree on the piece.
    qwanda thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • qwanda
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks everyone for the wonderful suggestions! My family and I truly appreciate the great advice, and are considering a combination of ideas recommended. Some concepts are already implemented throughout our home, like the collage of sepia-toned family pictures in our foyer and our daughter’s artwork in our Zen room and my office. We are now considering the following design ideas for our family room:

1.Original piece by an artist (either local to DC area or Low Country, SC). Over the years we’ve seen some gallery pieces that have interested us, but are hesitant to pay $1,500+ for those we really like. We appreciate art and know it’s an investment, so we will save for one of those pieces.

2.Sepia-toned or color photos/canvas of scenes from our past/upcoming vacations abroad. Traveling is my passion and our house should reflect this more. I also really like the idea of the large industrial (or wood) letter(s). Could this somehow be incorporated with the photos/canvas?

3.Will add a tall plant in corner by return vent. Any suggestions for the website of a reputable faux plant company?

4.On what should I place my cable box if not on an end table to left of sofa? I could move the sofa to the right a bit to make more room an end table. Thoughts?

Solincia and Barn & Bungalow: Please forward a picture of a console table that would fit nicely in the space to the right of sofa. Should I get rid of the wicker chest? It just holds our daughter’s toys and games. I could also move the basket of book next to it to another room.

SieglerDesign: Please send your sketch. I’d love to see it!

Ed: Love your designs and now wishing I would have purchased a round ottoman. For some reason I feel the need to add something to my blank wall to balance the space, with the kitchen being opposite it.

Cam: Beautiful artwork! Not sure I can afford your pieces.

Again, thanks so much to you all!
  • qwanda
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Oh! I would move those candles on the floor to make room for an end table. Thanks!
  • pcmom1
    10 years ago
    Art is pretty personal. Have you shopped local galleries? How about a painting of the low country around Savannah or Charleston?
    Lowcountry Residence · More Info

William Hefner Architecture Interiors & Landscape · More Info

Arts Council Showhouse Library 1 · More Info
    qwanda thanked pcmom1
  • barnandbungalow
    10 years ago
    Yes , I would eliminate the wicker toy bin and add something like this that has storage as well. I would do it in white to match the pretty white trim in your house and keep it feeling light. Good luck!

barnandbungalow.con
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    Check out Leroy Campbell. His prints are pricey, but his work is spectacular.
    http://leroycampbelloriginals.com/#!/gallery_150
    qwanda thanked groveraxle
  • PRO
    Redhead-Studios
    10 years ago
    qwanda, I know my favorite room in the house is the one filled with things that I love... if you love travel, then you might think about using maps on the large wall - many antique map images are available online and are copyright free. Your local Kinkos can print in large format for a reasonable price, and simple poster sized frames are down the street at Target...not much investment in this senario, but you might find the process (aka Hunt ) for the perfect map inspires other changes in the room and leads you to the perfect piece of art .
    qwanda thanked Redhead-Studios
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    Also check out the Romare Bearden prints at art.com.
    http://www.art.com/gallery/id--a145/romare-bearden-posters.htm
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Okay here you go! Out of time but, hope you get my "concept" for you taking as my inspiration what you have said and what is already in room. Thanks for posting your design dilemma.
  • Rebecca Hart
    10 years ago
    I must agree with Ed. I love the open spaciousness of empty. Looks lovely as is.
    qwanda thanked Rebecca Hart
  • PRO
    It's a Beautiful World!
    10 years ago
    @qwanda, unless you have unlimited resources, investing in art may not be such a good idea. You never know if an art piece you have purchased will go up in price, most do not, so it is a gamble. Also, when you purchase from a brick-and-mortar gallery, you pay much more because the gallery must charge to cover for rent and staff, plus make a profit. You would be better off purchasing directly from artists or from online galleries. You will be looking at your wall art for a long time, so the most important criteria is to find images you really enjoy looking at, over and over again, be they paintings, drawings or art prints... Raisa
    qwanda thanked It's a Beautiful World!
  • barnandbungalow
    10 years ago
    What about a large round mirror over the couch? I think if you put a floor lamp on the left side (no end table), a sofa table with a lamp or two, then the one mirror will fit the open space very well! Artwork is just going to create too many right angles for the space. Also, I agree with others above that you don't have to fill every space--it's okay to have some open wall space too.

I would save the plant for last. I don't think you will notice the vent once everything is put together.
  • Nancy Walton
    10 years ago
    art from art.com
    qwanda thanked Nancy Walton
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    First of all, your space is lovely. It seems very warm and inviting. I was also going to suggest art.com. I love the fact you can "try out" the art work as I see a previous person showed you on their comment. It's super easy. I really feel like art work and window treatments really help finish a space off. Consider a nice chunky floor lamp for the corner. Maybe something on a tri-pod, it should take up some volume.
    qwanda thanked User
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    Your overall look is great. Start with a live tree like a palm or ficus in the back corner. I'd look on etsy.com under original large paintings. The prices are good and you didn't wait 7 years for schlock (?) art. You need something nice that will complete your room.
    qwanda thanked leelee
  • qwanda
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Wow, thanks! You all are amazing talents. Love the mirror, and especially the artwork. My husband and daughter are big fans of the Leroy Campbell and Romare Bearden jazz and Southern pieces. I've owned prints by them (and Charles Bibbs) in the past. Found a beautiful "Gullah" piece by Campbell and have contacted him for dimensions and pricing. It will go on the wall in our staircase, if affordable.

We also really like the sepia-toned print of the clouds. (Reminds us of a photo in our daughter's BR of her head in the clouds at Shoal Bay East Beach in Anguilla.)

So here's the latest on what we decided:

1. Definitely will purchase a tall tree/plant.

2. My husband started thinking about what Ed and others suggested about leaving the wall blank, and decided we should 1st purchase a ceiling fan because we might not need anything on the wall after that's hung. So please help with selecting a fan, from choices below. Feel free to add to list.

Hilltop House | Grand Vista Subdivision · More Info

Discovery Bay · More Info

F803-CPBR Minka Aire F803-CPBR Artemis Ceiling Fan · More Info

Warm wood stain for following:
    Downtown San Diego Loft Space · More Info

Morningside Renovation · More Info

(w/ light)
    Girard Townhouse, Philadelphia, PA · More Info

Thanks again!
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Have bought both sizes of Minka Aire Artemis fan. Bought it in white and bought it in clear. Clients like them. I like them a lot from a design aspect. Have one issue with "remote" right now but, I think it will work out okay. Seller is taking care of it with the client. Suggest you buy from a local light fixture that will support any product issues that might arise and that do not buy ON LINE.

I love "negative space" and most people never honor it but, a blank wall is a blank wall. That is not the spot I would emphasize "negative space. If you like the spacious feeling of blank wall then why not look at art that is even more MINIMALIST?

I rather NOT see shrubby plant in corner but, see corner treated more artistically with a couple of well place sculptural tree branches, air roots or other nature item.
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    qwanda, the ceiling fan and a painting over your sofa are not mutually exclusive. You need both. I agree to find the right piece. Did you look on etsy.com? The prices are amazing.
    qwanda thanked leelee
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    Just make sure you don't go too small. A painting should be roughly 2/3 the length of the sofa. So if sofa is 90 inches long the painting length should be 60 inches. You need a horizontal picture rather than a vertical.
    qwanda thanked leelee
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    You buy art because you love it and enjoy looking at it every day--not because you think it will go up in value.
    qwanda thanked leelee
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    Dear Handymam, it's all done in generosity of spirit, I think. The more one sees, the more one refines one's ideas about what one wants. If I asked for ideas about art for my walls, I'd hope to get some -- and I'd love to get an "oh my goodness I never thought of that" reply. But yes, absolutely, one should not settle.
    qwanda thanked Rina
  • bumblebee728
    10 years ago
    Real 'artists' put their heart in to their work, and for their art to belong in your home, it should mean they touched your heart. Don't buy a piece just because it matches your decor. Think of fresh flowers, which are divine art, do we ever choose them because they 'match' the decor? I think mostly we don't. We bring them in because they have their own beauty, they speak their own unique language. Someone on another thread said it perfectly one time, (paraphrasing) 'truly beautiful art won't match your sofa'.
    qwanda thanked bumblebee728
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    If its difficult for you to choose something, you just haven't found what speaks to you. Perhaps use some birch wall decals to give a graphic punch to the blank wall space and replace when you find the art you truly love. The decals can then be moved to another area of your house. You don't have to use the birds too.
    qwanda thanked mefor
  • divyaad
    10 years ago
    Hi do check out my blog pinksaucer.wordpress.com if you like something I can sell you. I'm a local New Jersey artist
    qwanda thanked divyaad
  • divyaad
    10 years ago
    You don't exactly have to fill up with one single painting, you can make a collage of paintings if different sizes. Also you haven't mentioned your budget. In case you want to have an open budget a good option is to look online maybe even on dailypaintworks.com
    qwanda thanked divyaad
  • divyaad
    10 years ago
    And I agree that you should get something that speaks to you rather than a space filler as you will be living with it and developing a relationship with it :)
    qwanda thanked divyaad
  • PRO
    HERE Design and Architecture
    10 years ago
    Re: ceiling fans - I find that I never like the ones with lights in them, I think because they draw attention to themselves.
    qwanda thanked HERE Design and Architecture
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    Art doesn't just mean paintings. One of my favorite rooms on houzz has a whole wall of African artifacts. Here's another with a kuba cloth panel on the wall.
    Living room with bright yellow fireplace · More Info

Todd Peddicord Portfolio · More Info
  • qwanda
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    We are very particular about what we want to go there in that space. It has to be something the entire family agrees on because we feel a connection to it for whatever reason (family, culture, travel, music, etc.). We want the space to feel warm, inviting, relaxing, and spacious.

Thanks Divyaad. My budget is $1,000-$2,000. I have started browsing your site and other sites for artwork, but need to continue those searches as well as visit area galleries.

Thanks sielgerdesign. I will not purchase fan online. Also, I like the branches in vase in the attached pix. Where would I purchase the branches and a vase with the shape and size like the one in the 2nd pic (as the vase in 1st pic is too large)?

HERE Design and Architecture, please recommend a fan without light as I’m also contemplating this option. Thanks.

Thanks Groveraxle. I definitely don’t want to crowd the wall. Over the years I have considered all types of artwork, including a framed Kuba cloth that Room & Board sold a couple years ago. We also thought about items we’ve collected from our travels around the world, but decided against them.
  • Carol Cottone
    10 years ago
    Hi Quanda, Fine art is a such a personal choice! Pick out art because you love it and can't live without it....not just as a design element. I am an artist and my website is www.cottoneart.com , some pieces are for sale or sometimes by commission.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I agree with approach on art....need to care about what is up on wall!

Real dried tree limbs, branches or "air roots" like I show in my paste-up board to you previously above will be a challenge but, I think can be worth it. You will have to check out "florist supply" and sources in your area that provide "botanicals" to designers and businesses. The AIR ROOTS in my paste-up are from a showroom at the design center here and were brought in special by the showroom to sell to Az market. The "air roots" remind me of the swamps of the south where the tree's root structure is exposed as waters rise and recess back to ground level. So, you triggered that idea for me when you mentioned the south. NO POT. Mount branches or trees on their own stand or lean them against the wall.

So, I apologize for promoting a difficult item but, it is a special item so, I wanted to bring it up for you to see.

Also, attaching another art on wall approach if you are art lovers and that is to go "classic". Have copies of great art around for yourself and your children....you do them a favor though they will never know until they are grown. I know my parents had all kinds of books, art and cultural things around I never understood as a child but, later as an adult I realized how lucky I was!

Here is "classic" idea for you on the art attached below: Its the approach I am asking you to consider and not so much the specific art though it is great art. I am huge fan of "pencil" drawings and "pen and ink" drawings so, that is the basis of this idea for you.
  • PRO
    HERE Design and Architecture
    10 years ago
    I like the fans from Modern Fan Co. They have a number that are simple and unobtrusive. I think Big Ass Fans also makes some that are nice.
  • PRO
    The 8th House
    9 years ago
    Hello,

I'm Julian, an Artist / Photographer that works for Round Pocket (www.RoundPocket.com), an Art Distribution Firm in NYC.

They provide Custom and General sizes for Various Canvases with a Fine Art Finish.

If you interested, you can request a quote with Mr. Will Sofrin (help@roundpocket.com).

You can also visit my website:

http://julianscorpio.houzz.com

Thanks!
    -Julian
  • PRO
    Fratantoni Lifestyles
    9 years ago
    We have so many options!

Uttermost 32160 Elegant Panels Set/3 · More Info

Bright Foliage Canvas Art · More Info

Uttermost Wild Run Hand Painted Art · More Info

Trilakes Canvas Artworks, Set of 3 · More Info
  • PRO
    zenbox design
    9 years ago
    what about something like this?
    i took some shots at this years jazzfest that i think would work nice...i could send some along if you thought it might be a fit for you and the family.
  • PRO
    Gwen Duda Studios
    9 years ago
    I would suggest getting original art and you can support your North American artists by shopping at Etsy.com (just search under art) and also Artfinder.com. That way you get ORIGINAL paintings from living artists. I know Artfinder has a free return policy as well. Artfinder.com and Etsy.com. Good Luck!
  • PRO
    Gwen Duda Studios
    9 years ago
    And of course, the very talented stable of fine artists here on Houzz : )
  • Carol Cottone
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Hello, Is the a" Houzz venue" for artists to advertise their work? I am a painter and would love to share my work with people looking for work to put over their sofa! My site is www.cottoneart.com
  • PRO
    James Houston Design
    9 years ago
    Hi there, Feel free to browse our online gallery www.jameshoustondesign.com of Limited Edition images captured by world-renown photographer, James Houston.