Software
Houzz Logo Print
francis_casini

love the slanted back fireplace like the one on Vrest Orton's book

12 years ago
I am a third gen. mason who has been building Orton style slanted Rumfords ever since I read his book back in 70's"The Forgotten Art of Building a Good Fireplace" I have 3 at my home of which through years of experimenting and observation I have acheived a 1:30 throat to fireplace opening ratio. This is a 50% reduction in throat area over any type of fireplace out there that I know of including the straight back so called " True Rumfords" that Jim Buckley advocates and sells throats for at his online site, Buckley Rumford Fireplaces. He has seen videos I've sent him and is awe although he remains skeptical while wanting to know if I could give him more vivid videos and details to my secret and if I could make his do similar ratios!
He said he may want to buy or market my discovered fireplace secret !
Massachusetts Farm House · More Info

Comments (5)

  • PRO
    12 years ago
    sorry the post wasn't finished yet. I have details on my houzz site if you are interested in slanted Ortons and the possible fantastic performance they can exhibit if built correctly and contrary to common beleif the throats need not stay wide open and left to suck the house cold! I enjoy mine nightly all winter long with the furnace off in a 3400 sq ft home.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/fcasini25
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Nice Work !
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Thanks so much! Sounds fascinating, thanks for sharing!!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Your Welcome
  • 12 years ago
    where can I find an old wooden mantle like this one?