Software
Houzz Logo Print
skylinewater

Under window storage makes window treatment impossible!

12 years ago
I have no need for privacy because I am on a very high floor. The semi-sheer shade is motorized...but I only had it installed because I like toys. What I think the room really needs (aside from an area rug and a throw for the recliner) is a soft fabric window treatment. Short drapes feel too "country kitchen" for a living room in the city. Too late for Roman shades because I invested in the solar shade. I'm thinking a fabric cornice/valence is the only way to go. Anyone have creative ideas?

Comments (39)

  • 12 years ago
    You could echo the color in the shade of the wall sconce for your valance....thing that is tough for me is loosing site line.....maybe some highly tailored panels to rt and lt of window that fall just to counter top to frame w/ cornice. Something in metal like the sconce might be really different and pretty, a metal valance if you will...interested to see other suggestions. Such a beautiful room!
  • 12 years ago
    Great cityscape view! Start with the rug where you can add an accent color if you're ready to move away from the totally neutral palette. If not, try a wool sisal-look rug. If you're ready for color, find a rug with a nice shade that can be taken to pillows, throw, & a fabric cornice.
  • 12 years ago
    I like the the semi sheer shade. Room is very neutral. Agree with deco enthusiasts that color will make a difference. The view us quite nice too. Love the city sky line.
  • 12 years ago
    I recognize this apartment! What did you select for the dining room mirror?
  • 12 years ago
    Do not put up a valance, that is very dated gramma style.
  • 12 years ago
    You could add some softness by adding a long window seat cushion and throw, without encroaching on the view. If that doesn't seem enough, consider a wooden cornice that extends between the outer alcove corners, and running drapery panels at the window edges, behind.
  • 12 years ago
    I agree with those who've said leave it alone. The view is great. The built in storage nicely done. I might soften the edges by adding tall plants or (dare I say it) vines. I can't see any way to add fabric to the windows that'll look like it belongs there.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    cornice treatment:[houzz=
    Windowseat · More Info
    ]
  • 12 years ago
    Here's the choice in mirror....Home Goods! And I decided to soften the brown wall with a color with a much grayer base.
  • 12 years ago
    For those of you suggesting window seats, that unit below the window is my radiator/air conditioner. The top of the unit is vented...must be kept empty.
  • 12 years ago
    If you go window treatment cover the entire thing from ceiling to the sidewalls to the top of your storage, then paint the storage the same color!
  • 12 years ago
    Great room but I think a pop of color framing that great view would really make it sing. I like the wall-to-wall valance with ceiling to top-of-storage drapes. The valance could echo the moulding you already have. The dining room looks good too!
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Love your room. My first thought was to just add a rug and keep the window as is. A simple cream shag or wool rug would be good.
    Historic Benton Park on McNair · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    I think the idea of adding a rug for softness on the floor is a good idea. I think the window should stay as is.
  • 12 years ago
    I can't really see a fabric cornice or valance looking good on that window as you really can't afford to obscure the glass and so have virtually no room for one. If you don't need room darkening, I think the shade you have is already a great choice. If the window wall seems too blank, how about a small potted tree suited to your exposure and climate? In the right pot, and very healthy and full, it will have a much more metro look than a valance anyway.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Your room is very pretty. Love your style!

    I would go with short drapery. there are plenty of examples on Houzz where it is done in formal rooms where there are obstructions like yours (and they don't look "country").

    [houzz=
    Modern Bedroom · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Former Sleeping Porch off of Master Bedroom · More Info
    ]
  • 12 years ago
    here's an idea........you could have a cornice built that is stained the same color as your floors, to go all the way across and install some lighting behind it to shine towards the ceiling at night.
    I think you are feeling like it is unfinished, and if you are feeling that way, then do something or it will forever bug you! :)
    Love your room. It's beautiful.
  • 12 years ago
    Love the rug idea! Thanks for posting the other pics, beautiful spaces....I still think highly tailored panels in a dark color on the rt and lt would balance the opposite walls
  • 12 years ago
    I saw King Kong straddling your building looking in your window last night.
  • 12 years ago
    So much for privacy!
  • 12 years ago
    Short drapes that either close or are stationary, in the same color as your wall. This will add the layering, texture and softness you are lacking. See the examples posted by Brenda above..
  • 12 years ago
    Kit, your home has come together beautifully in a short time. Absolutely love everything you have done so far. Have you considered a tailored cornice with a simple pattern for above the window?
  • 12 years ago
    Margaret, that's what I've been leaning toward.
  • 12 years ago
    Chookchook2, with a pair of binoculars it's possible for someone to see me watching HGTV in my pajamas. So I try not to eat ice cream out of the container!
  • 12 years ago
    Soberg, I was thinking that a tall potted tree, replacing my grandson's recliner, might be the balance I'm looking for.
  • 12 years ago
    kit, can you just put 2 potted plants on each side, on top of the radiator that are tall and go to the ceiling?
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    2 of these............you can let the lower leaves grow to fill in space if you'd like, but one on each side and put your smaller plant elsewhere. Or 2 pieces of tall sculpture on each side would be lovely as well!
  • 12 years ago
    If not going roman. Do nothing. You have a clean modern look. What ever you do don't put short panels. They look like a motel room.
  • 12 years ago
    You could add a taller and fuller plant to end of storage top.
  • 12 years ago
    Love the plant ideas. No one thinks a tree instead of baby's recliner is a good idea? I agree with short curtains...ugh.
  • 12 years ago
    OK, here's the problem. I only live here November-April. Real trees would be a big problem to keep alive during the summer months... Are there fake trees that are really, really good fakes?
  • 12 years ago
    I think the Fiddle Leaf Fig Mpoulsom posted would look lovey in the spot the recliner occupies now. It loves light and looks like it would do well in your new home. I have a Parlor Palm in the Dining Room and a Ficus Tree in the Family Room. They are both on the screen porch in the summer and thrive during those months and become very temperamental indoors over the winter. A small tree would look lovely in that spot the recliner occupies but please make sure whatever plant you choose will thrive, nothing worse than sickly looking house plants.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    With enough money anything is possible. I love the idea of a tree. There are some fabulous fakes, but they come at a price. You could hire a service to water while you are away. What do you do with your other plants when you're gone? Also, for the price of a really good fake, you could replace a great number of real trees, and get the added benefit of that air cleaning and oxygen generating. Having live plants removes toxins from your environment, like all the off gasses from new construction and soft furnishes.
    [houzz=
    2.5' English Ivy Topiary, UV Resistant, Indoor and Outdoor · More Info
    ]
  • 12 years ago
    Your room is so stylish and beautiful! I wouldn't change or add anything
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Is it possible to add a slim/longer sconce on either side? I agree to no draperies.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I would leave the windows as they are. If you do not need privacy let the light in! I think a rug would help warm the space and if you need to add lighting I would add sconces on the walls to the right and left of the window not on the same wall as the windows. This would create the feeling of the niche being its own space and give you more light in the evenings.
    Good Luck, Great spot!
  • 12 years ago
    I might be tempted to hang the DR mirror vertically and to add a shaggy rug in the LR, but it looks great as is. Greenery sounds good, but if you're not one to care for plants and not there part of the time, I'd drop that idea. Maybe a nice tall floor sculpture in place of the baby recliner would be a nice touch.
  • 12 years ago
    I love the room as it is. Adding something extra to the window would detract from the view and stop the eye instead of being drawn straight to the outside.
    You have done a very stylish job.... Sometimes less is more!