Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
printesa

Need new chairs

printesa
10 years ago
I have to change the current chairs since the seating is totally damaged (lasted for 5 years only). While I like the Saarinen Tulip chair and the Bertoia chairs, by husband doesn't (one too plastic looking, the other seems more fit for outside - his view). I know I can get something similar to the ones I have in a better quality, but that's not interesting enough. The Mademoiselle chairs are interesting, and so is the Wishbone, but it's difficult to decide on something. The table is black with black top glass (the top looks more charcoal). I'm open for suggestions for chairs. Thanks!

Comments (32)

• printesa
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Forgot to mention that the light will eventually be changed to the FLOS Skygarden
  • printesa
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you Vincent for this option. Do you think it works if the chair has chrome frame?
  • PRO
    Vincent Flasch Interior Design Inc.
    10 years ago
    What colour is the rest of the metal in the room?
  • printesa
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    There is no metal almost anywhere. This is the breakfast area. The family room is on the right..no metals..just upholstered sectional and black wood furniture.
  • printesa
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    If you want to get a better idea of the space, I had an older post for the family room. You can scroll down and see a group of 4 photos that shows the entire area https://www.houzz.com/discussions/shelving-around-large-painting-dsvw-vd~631583
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Then yes, I think the chrome on the chairs would work with everything else! Beautiful windows in the great room!!
    printesa thanked Vincent Flasch Interior Design Inc.
  • printesa
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you Vincent! If chrome works, then that would open more possibilities.
  • printesa
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I have these two choices, which might work (the fettucini needs to be measured to see if it fits under the table). The Caprice I would get it in white shell. Which one do you think works best?
  • PRO
    VintageMaya
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Wishbone chair is another classic, check it at - http://www.dwr.com/product/wishbone-chair-lacquer-colors.do

You might add some table linen to soften the modern look. Check some of the suggestions!

Victorian Crochet Table Runner · More Info
    printesa thanked VintageMaya
  • Darzy
    10 years ago
    I like Vincent Flasch's chair suggestion very much! While I LOVE the first chair in your last photo, I don't think it's perfect for your space. The white shell would work, but Flasch's suggestion looks stylish and comfy. Here is a similar armless option. I like that it has tufting.
    Modern Dining Chairs · More Info
    printesa thanked Darzy
  • Darzy
    10 years ago
    BTW..I'm diggin' your current chandelier better than the one you eventually want to get. :)
  • printesa
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @VintageMaya, the Wishbone is one of my favorite chairs. However, I don't see how I could match it with this table. I looked at the black version with black seating. Not sure how it would work.
  • printesa
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @Darzy, my husband is not sold on the Brno look. To him, it looks very similar to the chairs at the doctor's office:) I found similar looks, at a more affordable price (the Brno is $1863 a chair:)), but no success so far. He picked the table a few years ago and now that he is into woodworking, he wants wooden chairs:) I say we need glossy chair in white..something slick,,tough:)
  • PRO
    VintageMaya
    10 years ago
    Checkout this chair at http://www.bludot.com/new/chip-dining-chair.html. Affordable and mid century design.
    printesa thanked VintageMaya
  • Darzy
    10 years ago
    Ahhh okay. Just saw these for a great price. Two for $323 I'll keep looking... :)
    Modern White Leather Dining Chair, Set of 2 · More Info
  • printesa
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The chandelier that I have is nice (amber colored glass, same as the pendant lights in the kitchen). We didn't see the ceiling mounting fixture when we ordered it and it looks like something you would find in a restaurant's kitchen. It does the job:) The black one is really nice on the inside as well. Here is a photo
  • PRO
    Custom Home Planning Center
    10 years ago
    You should keep a search on ebay like this: chair moller chair They retail new at about 800 each, but the last set of 8 in rosewood ran me 1800 on ebay. Even if you customize the fabric which is quite easy, Your husband will love the style
  • printesa
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you! I like the chairs. $800 a piece wouldn't be bad at all. The only think I'm afraid of is if I can mix glass table with wooden chairs in a wood color and not black, like wenge. The floor is tiete rosewood and I have a bench coming in (well, my husband is finishing it soon) that is in bubinga. The rest of the wooden furniture in the house is black. I have a link earlier in the post to a previous post where you can see the rest of the space.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    It sounds like your husband's opinion counts (not always the case with design but I can certainly relate). And since he's into wood (seriously - what man isn't?!), maybe a bentwood chair of some sort? In looking at the rest of your home, the architecture isn't super contemporary - it has a lot of classic features so I would hesitate to recommend something too edgy. I think sticking with a "modern" chair that has stood the test of time would be your best option. Look into some of the modern designers who we're cutting edge in the mid 1900's. If their work is still popular, you'll know you've chosen chairs that will never go out of style and will look great in a lot of different settings. Then investing a little more money will get you quality that will last as long as the style.
  • printesa
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks Vincent! I want to have everyone happy:) It would be selfish of me not to take into consideration his opinion:) The house is not modern, but the furnishings are..The kitchen is traditional because that is what the house came with, but it will be changed to a modern one at some point. The family room is not done, but the furniture has clean lines (Ligne Roset: Sketch sectional, Pumpkin armchair and ottoman, Translation coffee table). I like steam bended chairs,,,one of my favorites is Joseph Walsh's work (the Enignum bed is out of this world). Here is one of his chairs
  • printesa
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I tried to get an idea how wood would go with this table, so I brought the walnut bench from the entrance next to the table. Do you think wood and glass work in this case? I don't have any chairs in wood.
  • Darzy
    10 years ago
    @custom home planning...just what I was thinking!
    Caitlan Dining Armchair, Tan Walnut · More Info

Bjorn Dining Chair, Set of 2, Black Di(2-ethylhexyl)phthalate (DEHP)/Tan Walnut · More Info
  • PRO
    Custom Home Planning Center
    10 years ago
    If your buying the chairs new then you may ask for un finished and use an ebony stain on the wood. The rosewood seems like it should work if you want to bring black into play they do offer it with black leather. In you decide to re-a poster add a high density cushion as the foam the factory uses is thin and can get uncomfortable at a long dinner party.
    printesa thanked Custom Home Planning Center
  • printesa
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I will definitely look into something that is comfortable. They need to be sturdy and comfy since the kids are doing their homework at this table.
  • PRO
    Interior Trends Remodel & Design
    10 years ago
    Check out Philippe Starck, very interesting and beautiful Dining chairs.. The third photo is called the comma chair.
    printesa thanked Interior Trends Remodel & Design
  • printesa
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Love these chairs! Isn't the second one the Caprice chair? I posted a photo of a slightly different one earlier. I know the black ones can have the legs in black as well, but I didn't see any in white that have the legs white lacquered as well. Do you know if the white ones come only with chromed legs? Thanks!
  • PRO
    Interior Trends Remodel & Design
    10 years ago
    Printesa, the white chair above is the caprice chair and it looks like it only comes with chrome legs, but I BET you could make a special request.... although I think you may regret to go that route, they make look plastic. Good Luck!
    printesa thanked Interior Trends Remodel & Design
  • printesa
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Update: We've decided on some Johannes Andersen chairs that were refinished and re-upholstered. The yellow ties in with what you have in the adjacent family room. Here they are
  • sunnydrew
    10 years ago
    great looking chairs!
    printesa thanked sunnydrew
  • printesa
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    thanks sunnydrew. They are very comfy, too