Software
Houzz Logo Print
krzakpa

Need help selecting new chandelier

12 years ago
It's time to replace the old brass one but I can't decide on style. My home is very traditional but I want something a little different. My budget is $500. My ceilings are 8 feet so it can't be too tall, no more than 30 inches I think. Does anyone have suggestions? I will post below some styles that caught my eye. Thanks.

Comments (161)

  • 12 years ago
    Hey AbbyJean, I wondered where you were. You helped me rearrange my living room several months ago and I was hoping you would find this thread.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Get out! I am not very good with remembering names and sometimes I can spot a familiar room in a pic. I am also not good with lights, so I just stayed out of this one, even though I kept snooping on what was going on. You have a winner!!!
  • 12 years ago
    Abbyjean, maybe you remember this from my living room.
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you! You read my mind!!!
  • 12 years ago
    Oh shoot you already found your beads. I am still going to post this link to beaded trim because maybe they will help someone else. I love the sparkle of these.
    http://www.decoratingstudio.com/Beaded_Fringe/Venetian_trim_taupe.html
  • 12 years ago
    Wow, I LOVE that trim. I haven't bought mine yet, just little samples. I just might spring for this one. I only need about two yards. Thx for sending this.
  • 12 years ago
    krzakpa, where did you find those shades? They're lovely. Just perfect for the room.
  • 12 years ago
    Nikitasmom, nice find. What a pretty trim. That would look great on the shades.
  • 12 years ago
    Windy, I got them at Lamp and Shade City, Alpharetta, Ga (Atlanta). They were $62 each. They are very good quality for the price, all silk. Most of what I saw today were over $100. I'm glad you like them.
  • 12 years ago
    Krzakpa, thank you. I love them! That's a very good price for that quality. The lining makes it because it casts a golden shadow over the lamp itself. Can you tell me the brand? I live in Tampa and am building a new home on the water overlooking Tampa Bay. Bottom line, I'm going to have to really stretch my pennies. I'm using my old furniture and will have some of it refurbished. So this whole discussion has been very interesting. It makes you think a problem through so that you can come up with something very beautiful without having to spend a fortune. Take a look at our sunset - breathtaking isn't it?
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    It's been fun krzakpa !! No I'm not an interior designer. I do have an art background and I also was a floral designer... I fell in love with the wedding business so I also learned to decorate wedding cakes and I ran a small wedding business out of my home while my children were growing up ... I do enjoy interior design though so everyone I know comes when they need some help. When you have a project just give me a shout... I'm following you now so maybe I'll get an email when you start something. I haven't really been active on houzz yet so not sure how it works but I'll figure it out. It's a nice break from Facebook, Pinterest and my genealogy research... LOL I've really enjoyed this... post some pics when you get everything done...
  • 12 years ago
    Windy OMG, I'm so jealous. That sunset is breathtaking. I've been to the Tampa area many times and it is so beautiful. I'm very partial to the Gulf Coast beaches. I wish I were closer to the water. The lampshades are East Enterprise and they do have a website but no prices. You'll have to find a dealer. Did you see the crystal fringe nikitasmom sent? I have ordered a sample to see how it will look with my chandelier. Good look with your new home. What a big project. Would love to see pics when you are finished. This has been so much fun. Thanks for your input. I'll post my chandelier when I finish with it.
  • 12 years ago
    Paulette, I got an email that you are "following" me. I don't know what that means. Do I have to watch what I do? Ha Ha.
  • 12 years ago
    I can promise you I'm not a stalker LOL.... It just means that if you post a request for help I should get an email.... maybe ???
  • 12 years ago
    Ok, cool. My name is Pat by the way.
  • 12 years ago
    krzakpa, Thank you very much. We lived there 15 years and finally, but finally tore down the old 1950s house that was there. She was a good old girl, but it was time. I actually got into the humongous crane and helped the demolition guys. It was very liberating to say the least! Most fun I've had in a very long time.

    Enough about me - that fringe is the bomb! Look no more darling - I've never seen any quiet as beautiful and the color on top looks like it is tri-color too! Love it.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I think you have great taste... here is our dining room, looks very similar. We loved these wall sconces and chandelier. Great price and great look. We bought it here http://www.bellacor.com/productDetail/quoizel-ky540in-kyle-iron-gate-five-light-island-pendant-713815.htm
  • 12 years ago
    Windy, glad you liked the crystal fringe. It will be an investment. I totally miscalculated how much I will need. Those little shades are 14 inches around and I have 12, so it will cost about $80. Oh well, much better than cost of a new chandelier! Love the view from your home. Atlanta is just toooo far from the ocean!
  • 12 years ago
    Windy, I too like to save $$ when I can. Recently updated my kitchen on a shoestring. See before and after. Had oak cabinets professionally painted, new granite counters, tile backsplash and some inexpensive beadboard and voila .. New kitchen,
  • 12 years ago
    I have been following this thread with interest. First off I think you made the right decisions, your room looks beautiful, especially when you bling up the shades, who doesn't like some bling, lol. I have not been that happy with my chandelier but realize now maybe it is just the shades I need to change. I am going to start looking for something different and see what I can come up. It has been fun to see what a difference a little change can make in a room, does not always have to cost thousands of dollars to make a big change.
  • 12 years ago
    Wow, the kitchen is gorgeous!!! You did a fantastic job. I've always loved this look. By the way, I love your kitty cat too. Cute.
  • 12 years ago
    I'm with you krzakpa, the brass has to go! My personal taste is simple elegance -- and practical. The Monterey Autumn is really pretty and will be easy to keep clean. I also think replacing the lamp shades on the buffet with black (metallic lining) would be an improvement. Also, can the mirror be hung horizontally? It's okay if the lamps partially obstruct it. A bouquet in a low oval dish would be a nice touch between the lamps.
  • 12 years ago
    Hello all, I finally finished adding the beaded trim to my black chandelier shades. After trying 10 different styles, I settled on these. The long dangling ones just didn't work. Too much! I'm still not sold on the brass, but I like it better than before. It will do until I see something that I love. Thanks to all of you for your comments and suggestions. I LOVE the black shades on my silver lamps and I would never have thought of that.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I like your chandelier with the shades and beads. Mine is similar but I have crystals I added. Thanks for giving me the idea for the beads. Oh no! I think my shades are too short! (never noticed before). Thanks LOL
  • 12 years ago
    Oh wow, exquisite! I love how everything turned out including the piece you placed in the center of the table - lovely.
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks Windy. I really like how this looks now at night. Very sparkly. I moved that little box on the table from my living room. I think I like it there. It has all the colors of my room, red and yellow.
  • 12 years ago
    I see everything is coming along nicely. It's really lookin good ! I like what you did to your chandelier to vjs12 ! Those crystal rings really add alot...
  • 12 years ago
    I would take down the brass one, paint it black, remove the shades and hang it back up. The style and size are perfect you just need to get rid of the brass.
  • 12 years ago
    Why dont you change completely the style for something large 24"and beautiful
    I found it at RONA (canada)
  • 12 years ago
    Read people! This one is a done deal!
  • 12 years ago
    Rngp, my fringed shades are just a temporary solution. I am still looking at chandeliers and hope I will find the "perfect one". I keep changing my mind about style, so I'm still pondering. I appreciate your input.
  • 12 years ago
    My apologies. It appeared you were finished. Perhaps I need to take my own advice and read more carefully!
  • 12 years ago
    Rngp, no apology necessary. It did appear that I was finished, but I'm just taking a break.
  • 12 years ago
    Good luck.
  • 12 years ago
    Rngp, when I started looking at chandeliers, I found that I loved so many different styles. Then so many people on this site said my current brass one was the style to keep although I hated it. I got very confused and decided to take a step back. This process turned out to be harder than I thought. When I see the right one, I will know it. Thanks for your help.
  • 12 years ago
    What do you think of this one... dark finish and you may want something antiqued silver instead... this one is whimsical and the caging below would let you decorate it for Christmas http://www.lightinguniverse.com/chandeliers/quoizel-my5005ml-5-light-monterey-mosaic-chandelier-malaga_g376580.html?linkloc=cataLogProductItemsImage&linkloc=reCanonical
  • 12 years ago
    This one comes in satin nickel and if you wanted more sparkle it would look nice if you changed the white glass to clear http://www.lightinguniverse.com/chandeliers/vaxcel-ch35909-9-light-mont-blanc-chandelier_g259437.html?linkloc=cataLogProductItemsName&linkloc=reCanonical
  • 12 years ago
    Paulette, I like the first one and will save a pic of it. The second one is 36 inches high, too tall. I can't go over 30 at the most because of my 8 ft ceilings. I have liked everything you have suggested. I think I want to stay with the traditional shape like these instead of going with something too trendy. Even though I like the black drum shade with the crystals hanging down like I saw at first, I'm seeing that everywhere I go. I think it will go out of style quickly. I really appreciate your input. Thanks.
  • 12 years ago
    They must be including the chain measurement in the height of this one because it says it is 8' high and I think that is impossible http://www.lightinguniverse.com/chandeliers/progress-lighting-p4506-101-5-light-roxbury-chandelier-classic-silver_g211054.html?linkloc=cataLogProductItemsName&linkloc=reCanonical
  • 12 years ago
    It says body height is 23. I like this one too. It's similar to one in my Ideabook.
  • 12 years ago
    I looked that up on other sites and it appears to be about 23" height.. there is a 9 light version that is wider but around $800
  • 12 years ago
    here is the larger one
  • 12 years ago
    Very pretty. I'm very hesitant to order on line without seeing in person since all lighting companies seem to charge a restocking fee of 20% - 25%. So far, what I have seen in stores turned out to look cheap compared to the picture. Unfortunately, most of the ones I like, I have been unable to find in stores to look at. I've been to most all stores in my area so that's why I decided to take a break.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I think you said there is a Home Depot store there... you might check because they have them online. They might be able to have one sent from another store for you to look at without a restocking fee ?
  • 12 years ago
    I've been to Home Depot and lowes. All they have on display are the standard black or bronze metal with the glass shades. Nothing cute or different.
  • 12 years ago
    You can ask them about this one because they have it online
  • 12 years ago
    That is if you are even interested
  • 12 years ago
    To all of you who offered wonderful suggestions back in January, I finally found a chandelier I liked. No more brass and a little bling. Before you say it is hung too high, I think the camera makes it look that way. The arms of the chandelier are actually 31 inches from the table. I finally parted with the custom silk drapes. I was having a hard time with that due to the original investment. But after 10 years, I guess I got my money's worth. I found these embroidered ones at Tuesday Morning for only $50 for four panels for my bay window. It really brightens up the room and I love the new vibe!
  • 12 years ago
    I like it! Nice job!
  • 12 years ago
    That's an improvement.