Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbrustein

I just hate my master bedroom and need some guidance

sbrustein
10 years ago
My master is big, t runs front to back of my house, but awkwardly laid out cause of windows on 3 of 4 walls. I had gutted the room to add more let's. my mother, an interior designer, was furious with me, at the time cause she thought I did a very bad job . But, in my defense, it was impossible to get a decent sized closet cause of the windows. I actually chose to lose a window in the back of the bedroom in order to make a small walk in and enlarge my master bath. Anyway, I chose funky vintage dressers and chest and 2 newer matching night stands, all f which I hate now. I am not changing my upholstered headboard or curtains or chaise lounge fabric all if which were kind of pricey. But, I am thinking of changing all the furniture, what do you think of cream colored painted wood? I also would like suggestions foe bedding.

Comments (214)

• PRO
    Catherine Belan
    10 years ago
    I am in AWE that you did this in a month. Great teamwork!
    Love how the bed turned out....let us know how that new insert works
  • sbrustein
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Well- the new insert borders on just a little too warm, slightly fuller, and a little crunchy ( reviews actually said that). I think that the fullest insert really requires down and I just can't do it. Being too warm is a migraine trigger for me. So, I will deal with with this new one for our unusually cold winter in NY and switch to the last one for spring. Thanks
  • Jasplinter
    10 years ago
    This was my first post on houzz and my first thread that I have followed. I absolutely love how everyone has such great suggestions and how you have taken what suits you best (and obviously what you feel most comfortable with) and made changes to your room. It's looking really lovely by the way. Well done to everybody on this thread. It's great to see how ideas can grow and change and become a great design.
  • kgrad
    10 years ago
    I literally said "Wow" when I saw the last picture posted with the newly made shams and night stands. What a difference these changes have made - so glad you enjoy your bedroom!
  • mid_century_modern
    10 years ago
    what about switching out the lampshades on the wall sconces? to something a little darker, more beige or deep ivory or a muted gold, and more modern shaped- like a small drum shade. Restoration Hardware or Ballard Designs sell shades in this general category. I don't know if anyone suggested this already, but that should be a minor change that might really update. It would probably make the sconces stick out less and make your linens stand out more.
  • Ella Fields
    10 years ago
    White furniture will make the room much brighter looking. Also, you should change the bedding to something more bright and sophisticated.
  • Kim D
    10 years ago
    I don't know if this has been addressed in another post yet, but I feel like your room will come together better if your remove the wall mounted lamps and get table lamps. Also a natural wood roll shade might compliment your valance better than the curtains; what do you think?
  • gypsyrose17
    10 years ago
    I would switch the highboy with the photos on it with the dresser with the mirror and get rid of that odd little black table. Think it will balance the room better.
  • litehearted
    10 years ago
    Nice work. I would remove the sheer curtain panels and just use the valence with the shades, or else have curtain panels that reach the floor. I think your table lamps look nice on the new nightstands. However, instead of the picture above the bed, what about something purely ornamental, like metal scrollwork? Just a thought. Glad you are liking your room much better now. I absolutely love our master bedroom, it makes me feel happy whenever I walk into it. It may not be everyone's taste, but it works for us, and that is what matters. :)
  • User
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Great work I love the new sleeping area. In my opinion balance is what creates a sense of calmness. So my only suggestion would be to place the biggest dresser on the opposite wall. I know it would block the window, but it is an area not used often and lighting could take care of that. Move the lounge over to beside the bed for extra setting for dressing, visitors, or feeling like a queen. I wish I had one to muse my time away. Again lovely room over all and great foundation pieces.
  • sbrustein
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Lite hearted- I don't have sheer curtain panels so I am not sure what you are talking about.
    It's funny that someone mentioned table lamps. I got rid if them for wall mounted a few years ago. I was considering darker colored lamp shades, but thought it picked up the ivory well. But drum shaped is something I would definitely consider. The widest dresser ( now under the TV) will not fit in the alcove in front of the windows. It's a space I reclaimed from a closet that the prior owners had. I think those of you who are talking about the small piece if furniture that held the cable box and the chaise haven't seen the after pictures. They are both gone.

The shades are top down bottom up, providing me with the most light and privacy( the house next door is close to me). I really like those and that is not a cheap feature( having just purchased one for a recently renovated bathroom in the front off the house).
    I may switch the carpet- would love to just refinish the hardwood an get an area rug for under the bed- that needs to be discussed with my husband who really likes wall to wall in the bedroom.
    But, I am very happy with these changes and when I make more i will repost. Thanks everyone.
  • sbrustein
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ella Fields- absolutely everyone involved in this discussion said to go ivory !! I did and I like it. Restful and calming I think.
  • mainstreetschool
    10 years ago
    I like what you have done, especially the custom pillows and antique chair! Before you give up on the fluffy duvet, try reversing it with the metalisse cover, with the fluffy duvet folded back at the end of the bed. This is what I did and I actually fold the duvet over the foot of the bed and don't have it on us at night. The double thickness is even fluffier. If you have any of the valance material, perhaps you could add a wide stripe to the inside edge of the panels of the drapes. This would draw the darker color down and tie the two together.
  • taryne
    10 years ago
    IMO - you have a wonderful space and beautiful pieces. My suggestion looking at your room would be to lighten up the bedding to a soft white/off-white with accent throw pillows that can be changed our seasonally if you wanted. It sounds like your husband may prefer the carpet, but I think that would be the biggest change you could make. Perhaps removing the heavy valances to lighten it up some? I love furniture swapping and using pieces in different rooms. It doesn't cost anything but can make a room feel brand new. The tall chest may look nice with the lower dresser and mirror above. Again, it is a very pretty room and don't think you are far off from ~ small changes:) Fun project! Good luck!
  • taryne
    10 years ago
    Sorry, read the first several and skipped to the bottom ~ love the picture of your new bedding bed side tables!!!!
  • sbrustein
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I just ordered new drum shaped lamp shades in ivory. I will repost when I get them.
    Mainstreetschool. I never liked to sleep under the matelasse cover. The ivory is the same make as the gold one that I no longer use. It would be dumped at the foot of the bed cause a comforter is lighter in feeling. What I love about this is the coverlet stays where it is all night and I just pull up the comforter, throw on the pillows and the bed is made!!
    I wish I had more if the darker fabric from the valences, but it was a remnant from an outlet and so I don't .
  • mid_century_modern
    10 years ago
    Another lighting idea- would you be open to changing your ceiling fixture to a more chandelier-type look? If you like traditional, then maybe that would work for you.
  • sbrustein
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Rivka- so funny that people are recommending the lighting I had and chose to replace!! used to have a chandelier and it drove me crazy trying to see through it to watch TV in bed. I got rid of it a few years ago for the fixture you see.
  • mid_century_modern
    10 years ago
    I hear that. Your fixture looks bright. I love what you have done.
  • sbrustein
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I agreed with those that told me to update the shades on my swinging wall lamps, I got ivory forum shaped and just out them on . I am very happy with the results!!
  • sbrustein
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Unlit
  • sbrustein
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Forum shaped is DRUM shaped,by the way.
  • mid_century_modern
    10 years ago
    looks beautiful!
  • Lynne Forrestal
    10 years ago
    Wow , what a transformation... great job and fantastic help you had here. It looks so inviting now. It looks like the green carpet fits in better now too doesn't it? I would love to see a mostly ivory with pattern rug at at angle partially under the bed... over the green carpet. What would that look like? Can you photograph room from farther angles so we can see more of it together to get the entire effect? Love what you've done.
  • sbrustein
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Lynne- I will do it, but do you really like an area rug over wall to wall? I always thought that looked really lame...
  • Lynne Forrestal
    10 years ago
    I love the hardwood with rug best, but have seen over carpet to define area, and to add an addititonal layer of color and pattern that really finished off the look. Check out some sample photos on Houzz. Its really a personal preferrence... so don't do it if you think it's not a look you'd like. ... It's YOUR room regardless of what anyone else thinks.. :)
  • sbrustein
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    This is the bedroom from both sides of the bed. There is much more space on one side than the other cause of a closet and bathroom.i am just not sure how I would like an asymmetrical area rug over my carpet which has a sculpted pattern.
  • Lynne Forrestal
    10 years ago
    If you want to try it out, try using a sheet or blanket instead of heavy rug, of course you will need a great imagination :).... or hopefully someone with photo shop skills can do a photo shop for you..I would but don't have the tools or know how.
  • gypsyrose17
    10 years ago
    Why is your bedspread so big that it trails on the floor 2 feet on each side?
  • sbrustein
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Gypsy- I am not sure why this full sized bedspread is so huge on my queen bed. I will look for a smaller one.
  • Libbmom
    10 years ago
    Is your bedspread a rectangle? Perhaps you can turn it?
  • gypsyrose17
    10 years ago
    Actually, I have one of those pillow top mattress sets and you need that much extra length on the sides (almost need a stool to get into bed). My current spread looks more like a comforter on it.
  • Lynne Forrestal
    10 years ago
    It looks like it is just the spread across the bottom, not the entire bedsread that is draped on the floor isn't it. ?
  • sbrustein
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes Lynne- it is folded just at the bottom , but it was labelled as oversized and it is incredibly wide. I have a normal height bed and not an oversized mattress so it is much too wide . I had returned the one that was intended for a queen sized bed cause that was even wider. I just returned a coverlet cause the size worked, bit it looked cheap . I am considering this same brand in a quilted comforter and may use it in the summer as my duvet.
    Turning the coverlet around wont work cause t has a scalloped border which I really like. I will find something.
  • tw123456
    10 years ago
    I have not read the previous posts, so I maybe repeating what some have suggested. Your furniture is beautiful and especially for the age of the house, (paint the night stands since they are not part of the set, and you can use them in the new decor of the room) if possible, you can use the pieces in a guest room, instead of painting it. Paint your furniture if you can't buy another that would suite your current taste. Remove the mirror off the dresser, and place it under the tv (this will be a good visual for hight balance across the bed, and the windows). The little bench at the foot of your bed should be covered with a skirted cushion matching in color to your existing fabrics, so you don't see the metal legs, then should be moved into the window alcove. The chaise lounge, and floor lamp, look too cramped for that space. Remove out of the room the tall chest which is next to the window, place the other chest there with either art or a mirror on the wall. If your bathroom is large enough, you can move your husband's drawer chest into the bathroom, and free up more space in the room (we did that, it was handy for him, because he had what he needed right there when he got out of the shower), then move your lounge where the large chest is now near the nightstand.
    Remove the orange/red comforter, and replace it with maybe tan bedding, your bedskirt should match your curtains and with same fabric, some accent pillows for the bed, a couple of different, but same colors for accent pillows for the lounge.
  • sbrustein
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Tw123- you really need to see what was done, moved , removed, purchased and changed. The room and bedding are totally different now.
  • spindle22
    10 years ago
    I agree with just change the bedding. Love the room.
  • sbrustein
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Cassie- I am not an abstract art fan, sorry.
  • sally78
    10 years ago
    sbrustein, I love the changes you have made! I love the elements you have retrained. I can't add any suggestions. It is a beautiful room. I imagine it is a lovely house.
  • sbrustein
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Sally thanks- I think it is a lovely house, but it Is quite traditional, so if modern is your look then I don't think my house would be your cup of tea. I much narrower matelasse coverlet is on its way.
  • wuff
    10 years ago
    I love your balloon pic, you have done a great job. Sleep well
  • mid_century_modern
    9 years ago
    Hi, I am sure your room is done and perfect already. But, I saw a picture on page 88 of the July/August 2014 Traditional Home that made me think of you. The bed is made with the matelasse coverlet tucked in and a down comforter folded in thirds horizontally at the foot of the bed. It is probably a little more work to make the bed, but you cannot see whether the comforter is fluffy or not. Not requiring you to buy anything, it might upgrade your look. Page 121 has a similar bed, but the bed on 88 is less fussy.
  • PRO
    Servant Remodeling
    9 years ago
    what about some funky, colorful lamps and maybe paint one wall as a feature wall. http://www.minimalisti.com/furniture/furniture-design/01/fascinating-designer-bedside-lamps.html
  • Susan Davis
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I really love your room and I love all the things you have done.

I would agree that a cream area rug under the foot of the bed will lighten up the green wall to wall carpet.

What bothers me is that I think you need a new higher mattress. One that is even with the nightstands, The nightstands are beautiful but look too high and overwhelm the bed which should be the showpiece of the room I think. Nightstands should be same height as mattress. As it is now your headboard looks like it is sinking, but it should take prominence in the room, should be higher, your lamps look like they are floating on the wall relating to nothing but they are the first thing your brain registers as being off in the room, Actually I think you need table lamps about 27-30 inches tall, substantial. I think the lamps need to be lowered, the mattress higher, the headboard higher, and the nightstands are perfect. Look at upholsteredd headboards with nightstands and table lamps in houzz to get a feel for what you like and then copy it.

Also a smooth heavy dust ruffle in cream or white to match the bedding; lined for weight and done smooth with a pleat on the sides and bottom middle and pleats on the corners. The coverlet you have looks large so maybe go down a size; it should just cover the mattress and a bit of the box spring area.

Design is so miuch decisions and I am amazed that you are on the spot doing so very much. So kudos to you. A very romantic and welcoming room!

Oh and when I look at the pics it seems to me that the center of the headboard and the center of the art do not seem to be centered on each other. It is driving me crazy----I want to tweak that picture! haha! Bear with me, please!

• lolyolo21
    9 years ago
    Start with some new bedding and then go from there also the carpet is a MUST GO (sorry)
  • raineycarole
    9 years ago
    Old post
  • Angel 18432
    9 years ago

old post

• Angel 18432
    7 years ago

Colleen - what is your connection with regards to MATTRESS HELPER - you seem to be promoting it on many many old posts.

• Carole Morey
    7 years ago
    Definitely remove the striped piece and the brown quilt from the end of the bed. Can you fold the red channeled comforter you had in your first pictures at the end of your bed. And I also think you need new art for over your bed. I love your new bedding - it looks great!
  • Angel 18432
    7 years ago

Carole, 2014 post. Good idea to check dates before posting.