Software
Houzz Logo Print
bostonstyle

I need a yellow

12 years ago
I am building a house and want to incorporate yellow into the great room. The room abuts the kitchen which has creamy off-white painted cabinets. I was thinking Benjamin Moore America's Heartland. Has anyone used it? Any photos? Any suggestions for creamy, buttery yellow? Many thanks!

Comments (26)

  • 12 years ago
    I love Sherwin Williams Ambergris...
  • 12 years ago
    I am currently painting my living room a golden honey color and I'm loving it. I am so bored with the dreary , no color rooms. I want sunshine in my house..
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    summer field or mustard seed by Behr????????

    Just make sure you bring the swatch to the room and look at it there in your room first to see how it looks, not the store!
    You can also buy those little sample sizes to try out on the wall first before investing in a gallon.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Try Sherwin Williams Restrained Gold or Concord Cream
  • 12 years ago
    Golden Wheat looks pretty too by BM???
  • 12 years ago
    @mpoulsom I have samples that I have used on a cloudy day, sunny day and at night. Once I settle on a yellow, I will have my painter apply it to a section to check it out before I go ahead with it. Thanks for the advice!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    What direction is the room facing?
  • 12 years ago
    Room faces southeast
  • 12 years ago
    Butter by RH is a nice yellow..
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Purchase 2' x 3' poster boards and paint 2 coats of your color sample choices. Do not paint a piece of the wall. Move the sample boards to different walls and during the day & at night to see how the areas you will be painting will REALLY look.. Yellow is one of the trickiest shades to use because of how all forms of light play off of it.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    There is a beautiful paint color from Ralph Lauren which might work well with the south exposure. Tibetan jasmine. It is an off white, really, but it gets this beautiful glow.
  • 12 years ago
    I have a sample of Hawthorne but was thinking it may be too deep. Will check out Weston Flax.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I found a picture of weston flax and off white cabs.
    Shiloh Painted Kitchen and Dining Room · More Info
    bostonstyle thanked JudyG Designs
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I think Hawthorne looks better with white than off white, anyway.
    bostonstyle thanked JudyG Designs
  • 12 years ago
    Judy, the Weston Flax looks beautiful in that kitchen. And....that's our granite! Many thanks!!!
  • 12 years ago
    I really like Ralph Lauren Claude
  • 12 years ago
    perretti - Trick I've learned is to also test yellows that appear dijon / more tan on the swatch and to make a much bigger sample,board then carry it around / next to everything / look at them in all artificial and different times of daylight . . .some will eliminate themselves. The more muted shades that look like pale honey pick up light on the wall and say warm afternoon "sunlight" - You might also test bm waterbury cream http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/waterburycream
    and adams gold
    http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/adamsgold

    Everyone has different latitude / exposure conflicts . . . but yellow more than any other color will pick up reflections of what is around it . .. so, especially with yellows test, test test.
    bostonstyle thanked libradesigneye
  • 12 years ago
    Most of the suggestions haven't really given you any yellow choices, they all seemed to lean towards creams. I like the yellow on this piece of furniture, sorry I can't identify it. My livingroom receives south, east and west light and I painted it in Gobi Desert by Behr. A sunny room can handle a strong colour.
    http://www.pinterest.com/pin/234750199298111288/
  • 12 years ago
    I agree that you should paint a few samples of yellows before choosing. In our last house we had a beautiful butterscotch yellow (don't remember the name of the color) in our kitchen. My mother in law bought the same color and in her kitchen it looked brown. Good luck!
  • 12 years ago
    Behr 'Riviera Sand' is a medium yellow but neutral as we'll. I've used throughout first floor and common areas/staircases. Here's a couple pics, in the family room I combined with a blue toned accent wall.
  • 12 years ago
    Cltaylor- Love the richness of your color combinations. is the yellow very dark at night?
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you. No not really, nice warm glow with lamps and over head lights. My family room is cozier at night but because of the darker curtains and leather furniture. Very nice with sunlight streaming in.
  • 12 years ago
    Chose BM Philadelphia Cream for foyer, kitchen and great room. BM Sundress for dining room. House faces west. Couldn't be happier with the choices. Still unsure as to how Philadelphia Cream got its name. It is definitely a soft, buttery yellow. Thanks for the advice everyone!
  • 11 years ago
    Love above creamy colors. My house used to be mossy green but I changed it to Navajo white. Loved it!