Software
Houzz Logo Print
andersonaustin

Need help decorating shelves

12 years ago
last modified: 12 years ago
I have been living with these shelves for two years and have never been satisfied with the way they are arranged. I keep buying objects to add but it isn't making me like them any better so I am wasting money! The shelves are not lit inside so they tend to be dark cubby holes. They are 12' x 5' and the closed cabinets are 5'6" tall. The shelves are movable. Our furniture is neutral but we have colorful art along one wall (you get a glimpse in one photo) and a light brick fireplace with large TV are centered between the shelves. Would love some ideas!

Comments (17)

  • 12 years ago
    I'm not sure what I'm seeing in the photos. Can you re-post? I can't get the right perspective.
  • 12 years ago
    Agreed. The two thumbnail pictures contradict, i.e. i'm also uncertain of what i am seeing
  • 12 years ago
    Try using mirrors on the back of some of the spaces, this not only looks good but it makes the room look bigger.
    andersonaustin thanked deeonna4444
  • 12 years ago
    (1) no matter how well arranged/displayed your shelves are, the central element (which is the strongest) has 4 doors on it . This section goes from a strongly horizontal element to a blank vertical one, which is a bit challenging I would either take the line across (open display above, storage below) so it is more of a horizontal line, or maybe think about removing the doors to the ground. (2) The lighting is not even, and I have a sense of murky depths. Can you use small spot/backlights? Ikea etc have some inexpensive ones. (3) The display itself needs to be balanced. Eg. you have 3 beautiful birds on one side of one case, and nothing on the other. If you want to balance from one side of the fireplace to the other, think about working from the outside "pair" in. As Marlene suggests, try moving your elements around. A vase does not need to be matched with a vase of exactly the same time (can be boring) but it needs an item of a complementing scale to balance.

    Good luck!
    andersonaustin thanked kt20
  • 12 years ago
    Th doors don't bother me so much, very mid century modern in style. Here is a pic of what I was explaining of different size cubbies. I think the wood logs are hmmm... Just ignore those. Since you have a large display, try keeping it more open and sparse. And all items displayed mostly very precise and centered in the cubby. Don't try to make the display too casual. Bringing in bright colours like in the art would be great too.
    http://houzz.com/photos/327330
  • 12 years ago
    Another example of what I was meaning by a very precise display.
    http://houzz.com/photos/101964
    andersonaustin thanked MarleneM
  • 12 years ago
    Here's the full wall
  • 12 years ago
    It seems like there is just too many small cubbies on either side. Are you able to remove any of the dividers?

    Are you at all open to painting them?
    andersonaustin thanked Jennifer Grant
  • 12 years ago
    You can paint the shelves in white or cream, its easy and modern.
    andersonaustin thanked florencia
  • 12 years ago
    I thought about painting but decided with everyone using more wood in new homes - that I'd be crazy to do that. I can make the cubbies taller but not wider.
  • 12 years ago
    This is my home office. Brand new!
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks for the full view picture. Would you mind including some pictures of rest of room? I'm interested to know if the whole house in a mid century modern style? I think it looks that way with the wood panelling wall that seen in the first photo.
  • 12 years ago
    It definitely feels mid century. The house was custom built in 1971. Excuse the ladder- it's too big to move easily!
  • 12 years ago
    Can you remove some of the shelves in the narrow cubbies? Perhaps if both sides were not exactly the same, you could put different size objects in the individual spaces, much like in the picture that MarleneM posted.
  • 12 years ago
    I mixed the room with a black leather sofa and a cow rug. I think you can have fun mixing styles!
  • 12 years ago
    I thought it was probably custom from around that era, maybe a little later than what I was thinking. I wouldn't paint, but the decision is yours. I love your furniture! Especially the white chairs and that floor lamp!
    To better describe what I mean by precise display, don't lean any books. They should be stacked straight. Try with one cubby and take 3 books and stack them horizontally in the centre of cubby. You can then take a small decorative object to place it on top of books, centering it. See if that feels more pleasing to you.
    Where the sitting statue is, I think she has enough interest she can be in a cubby by herself, and take out shelf by her head so there is lots of room above and on both sides.
    Also on your art wall, I think it will look better if art was spaced out more and hung at same level, more art gallery style.