Software
Houzz Logo Print
chrisinky

I need help with my kitchen cabinets

12 years ago
I have purchased a microwave/vent combo to go over my oven. If I hang a 12" tall cabinet over it, the microwave will be even with the bottom of my cabinets. Is that too low? Should I get a taller cabinet & run it up to the ceiling so I can make my microwave higher?

Comments (15)

  • 12 years ago
    HI -- You should first mount the unit at the recommended height stated in the instructions which means probably " no "cabinet and you will just have to trim it out to the height of the other cabinets . Having that lone cabinet set to the ceiling could be done but not sure that is the right look. Stepped cabinets is not done now and it will make that corner look a little crowded . Perhaps that could be done if you paint out that corner pantry (?) to the wall color . If you can find a cardboard box the size of that said cabinet and stick it up there and see what it looks like.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Important to remember that virtually all microwave/vent combos require not only a cabinet above but also to the left and right to support the weight of the microwave.
  • 12 years ago
    The pantry is actually painted the wall color. The lighting just makes it look different in the picture above. The microwave instructions show that it has to be attached to a cabinet above it. The cord has to run through the bottom of the cabinet & be plugged into an outlet, which we haven't made yet. We can't put the microwave up until we have that cabinet.

    I have the wall cabinet to hang to the right, but I am waiting until we mount an over microwave cabinet to hang it. I'm attaching a picture of it.

    I am also adding display shelves above the cabinets. Basically there will be boxes above the cabinets. I have to do the boxes because there was a soffitt there before & now the wall & ceiling look bad uncovered. I will put wainscoting board on the back of the box that goes against the wall. That way it ties into the pantry. The entire interior of the box will be painted the color of the wall. I will add some trim stained to match the cabinets on the outside edges of the box. It will look very similar to the kitchen with dark cabinets, but will be against the ceiling like the white kitchen.
  • 12 years ago
    Since I will have those boxes going up to the ceiling, I thought a cabinet going up to the ceiling might look okay. A 12" tall cabinet is the shortest I can get & they don't have any other short options in this line. I can get something taller though. I just don't want the microwave to be so low that it feels like its sitting on top of the stove. Is there a standard height from stove top to microwave?
  • 12 years ago
    Any experts out there that can weigh in? Or someone with photoshopping skills that can show me what a tall cabinet with the microwave would look like?
  • 12 years ago
    The microwave installation instructions will tell you the minimum height from the stove top to the microwave.
  • 12 years ago
    I've looked at a lot of pictures on this site. The amount is about split on those that are flush with cabinet bottoms & those that are about 2-3 inches higher than cabinet bottoms.
  • 12 years ago
    Basically my options are:

    1-Use a 12" cabinet & the microwave will be flush with the bottom of adjoining cabinets.

    2-Get a 18" or 24" cabinet mounted against the ceiling so the bottom of the microwave will be higher.

    I think I would prefer it higher, but would a raised cabinet look ridiculous when nothing else is raised? Remember, I am building display boxes for above the others.
  • 12 years ago
    Don't go too high with the microwave or it will be awkward to get things in/out. I'm short, so for me level with the bottom of the cabinets would be preferred.
    chrisinky thanked lopipopi
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks South Prairie. That does help a lot.

    I am not raising any other cabinets. I've already hung most of them & there's really not another logical place to do it. My thinking is since I am boxing in the top, it should flow.

    Will it look okay if it goes all the way to the ceiling? That would make it 12" higher.

    I am not adding crown molding either, but I am adding a thin flat molding to the outside edges of the box. It will look very much like the boxes in the white kitchen above with that flat molding around the front edges. The only reason I am doing that is to bring the stain color of the cabinets up onto the painted boxes.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I think it will look just fine if you go right to the ceiling with the cabinet over the microwave and the display boxes. Your definitely on the right track.

    Good luck with your project!
    chrisinky thanked South Prairie Residential Design
  • 12 years ago
    South Prairie, I really want to thank you for sharing the picture. That helped so much & made my husband not think I was an idiot for wanting it that way.

    Here's what ours looks like now. My husband actually really likes it this way, he just had a hard time envisioning it before. One concern was that it would make the microwave too high, but it is perfect. The cabinet above the microwave is 21" tall. There is also 21" between the bottom of the microwave & the top of the stove.

    My display boxes have been built & are ready for me to paint before we put them up. I had planned on painting them the wall color & then staining some flat trim to put on the outside edges of the boards so it matches the cabinets. My husband now wants to stain the whole thing. I'm afraid the boxes will be too dark inside since I am not adding any lights to them. I have considered painting just the back of the box that touches the wall & staining the rest, but I think it will be difficult to do that now that its all assembled. What do you think?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    It looks like your project is coming along nicely!

    To create a custom kitchen look I would stain the boxes to match the rest of the cabinets. With this being said it is important to try and match the stain color the best you can, which I know isn't easy. As for the lighting issue it will be a little darker inside the boxes, but if you choose some lighter display pieces and paint the back piece (if needed) it will look great.
    chrisinky thanked South Prairie Residential Design
  • 12 years ago
    I contacted the cabinet company about the stain color which they gladly told me. The problem is that when I used that stain color on several different types of wood, it wasn't even close to the right color. I think what we finally found was the closest was red mahogany. We used it on the back side of the bar we made out of 2 extra cabinets & it worked pretty well. Thanks for your honest answer. I was hoping to make the job a little easier by using a couple coats of paint rather than 2 coats of stain & varnish. I still think I want to paint the back because its made of wainscoting plywood & stains much darker than plain boards. I will probably start on it tonight.