Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edubya

Most Disappointing Home Gadget

Emily H
10 years ago
Have you purchased a home gadget only to get it home and be disappointed by how it works, or maybe it's great and you just don't use it as much as you thought you would?

Share your experience! (Home encouraged)

BH1 · More Info

Comments (252)

• Marilyn Wilkie
    10 years ago
    I love my mandolin - just bought a more expensive one, and our electric knife. Rarely use the food processor and hate the old Foreman grill. It's too hard to clean. The Cuisinart panini maker has removable grills.
  • ruthhelena
    10 years ago
    I bought a juice extractor at a garage sale. I can certainly see why they put it on sale. What a piece of junk! If you buy one, get an expensive one if you want it to work.
  • ruthhelena
    10 years ago
    I don't understand the Cuisinart comments. I've used one for over 20 years. I keep it on the counter and use it several times a week-- I couldn't live without it!
  • PRO
    Comforts of Home
    10 years ago
    Silliest gadget I every bought was a Yohooanan. You take frozen bananas and any other frozen fruit and load into this meat grinder looking thing and push it through. The opening is only large enough for a banana so it hard to get frozen strawberry or peaches into the intake spout. Also, its kind of hard to do, it provides no help with the feed through. Then it makes a very small severing of something like ice cream. By the time you are done you are out of the mood for ice cream.

Best silliest thing is my electric tea kettle. It makes boiling water so fast. I use it for hot tea, ice tea, oatmeal, jello all kinds of misc. boiling.

Favorite silliest thing is my 3 tiered chocolate fountain. Grand kids love it. We dip everything semi-reasonable. It takes 4 lbs. of chocolate to make it work and is a mess to clean but we have so many good memories around chocolate dipping.
  • houscom
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Hi Penny V. thats very interesting about the variation in milks from country to country. Who would have thought the Finnish milk was so different. (isn't that part of the world famous for its cows=milk? - (smile))

I must definitely try the popsicle idea - I keep telling them to stay away from commercial Ice-cream but they won't believe me!!! - Would others recommend the Zoku popsicle system?? - I have just thrown out a cheaper version (that didn't live up to expectations) bought when kids were little, seems a bit silly buying something like that for late teens/20's but then we would all benefit from a more natural approach.

That said . . . I have 2 young adults in my family who have food intolerance's, one is Fructose Malabsorption (just under the radar to be lactose intolerant - but who really knows), the other is about to under going testing as to exactly what their problem might be, dairy products may be causing problems, (he has even said he's no good with milk - loved it as a child).

Wheat is also an issue, so we try and avoid it as much as possible - so that tends to mean going gluten free even though they are not actually Celiacs. I have heard that in European countries like Italy and France, the wheat is supposed to contain less gluten than where we live and they generally have better knowledge of food intolerances? What a shame to go to either and not be able to enjoy their iconic foods.

I have to wonder has our wheat been modified for mass production therefore altering it so much many, many people have issues with a basic 'natural' food ?

I have been thinking about onigiri - Japanese rice balls wrapped in seaweed, and have come up with wrapping the rice mixture as you would a spring roll, in the seaweed, and then tightly in individual plastic wrap and leaving them in the fridge overnight.

Avoiding all the foods we need to does make lunch making quite challenging and so I will definitely give this a go! Cheers

PS sorry if this post is a little off topic
  • happyasaclam
    10 years ago
    We love our Yonanas! Frozen fruit - nothing else. Smooth and yummy as frozen yogurt or ice cream!
  • Tracy Scott
    10 years ago
    I definitely need a good affordable Mandolin...one that does slice, waffle, julienne and French fries....any suggestions?
  • Tracy Scott
    10 years ago
    Oh and I definitely try almond milk ice cream with my maker and the pop cycle maker.....thanks for suggesting!
  • Paulina V.
    10 years ago
    I wouldn't dare call Finns in any particular way very dairy-famous. There are plenty of traditional cultured milk products I enjoy, but I don't feel like dairy is in a main part in most of the traditional recipes I like. They don't even have a lot of original cheeses, many are just "Finlandized" versions of Swiss or French cheeses. To many Finns I know, Cheddar is an "exotic" cheese.
  • pcmom1
    10 years ago
    Not a dud, just discovered this: use the Sonicare toothbrush on the tile grout. Press very lightly! Of course, use a different head than the one you use on your teeth. Just tried this last week. Works great!
  • Amy Stokes
    10 years ago
    Here is a recipe for ice cream that is absolutely delicious. It is from Dr. Fuhrman's Eat to Live cookbook. I use non-sweetened vanilla almond milk and don't add the vanilla bean. Also, it is a little too soft coming out of the Vitamix, so I put it in the freezer for a bit to firm it up some. It would be excellent as a Popsicle.
  • printesa
    10 years ago
    @houscom, many products have been modified so much that our body doesn't seem to have the enzymes to digest them. All these GMOs and pesticides resistant and you name it, bring nothing good to the table. I grew up in Europe and I had never heard of food allergies, gluten issues, or whatever else we have today. Lactose intolerance was something mild and rare and even that would be a problem when one would drink the equivalent of 6 glasses of milk.
  • houscom
    10 years ago
    Thanks for the comments printesa I have heard that issue about our enzymes in the gut, it a very involved issue effecting more and more people. Thanks for the recipe Amy - believe it or not vanilla is a problem to those who have FM, but we cope with it.
  • Paulina V.
    10 years ago
    I agree with printesa. Apart from having some sensitivity to dairy products in Finland (less so with fermented or aged dairy, like yogurts and cheese), I really didn't have any allergies before moving to the U.S. I have allergic reactions to any and all artificial food colorings (most of which have been banned in Europe through all of my lifetime), get allergic reactions from "vegetable oil", that is so prevalent - I essentially get slight to moderate respiratory issues after eating deep fried food at most restaurants, as they use cheap vegetable oil. I don't have the same issue with restaurants that use less processed oils, such as peanut oil to fry their food. So although I love fries, I either make them at home, or only eat them at establishments that are using a "safe" oil.

I have had to start cooking everything I eat from scratch, as most convenience foods are "improved" with artificial additives. I've gone from a non-committal member of a European foodie family to being a passionate cook-from-scratch foodie after I immigrated to the U.S. because of my food allergies. Good thing my family has done food from scratch, so I haven't had to learn that from scratch, just rekindle old rusty skills. The convenience mentality has eliminated a lot of the traditional processes, that were used to render food digestible by humans, and the nutritional recommendations have been "off" for many a decade, emphasizing cheap starches in stead of nutritious veggies as the staples.

In Finland, milk is still offered as a beverage for even grown-ups at meals (as the nutritional recommendations seem to still assume it's the only viable source of calcium - which I can tell from having Finnish friends prompting me to consume about 8 deciliters, or 3.5 cups of milk per day, according to Finnish pregnancy guidelines).

Many traditional European breads are made with a sourdough-base, not with commercial yeast, and traditional loaves are made with much more time for the dough proofing process, giving the yeasts and bacteria time to essentially pre-digest many of the components people have developed a sensitivity to. The old-fashioned way of doing things got so rare, that the French government now only allows a bakery that makes the bread from scratch on premises to call itself a "boulangerie". If they only bake pre-made products, they're called "dépôts de pain", or "bread keepers", not "bakeries".
  • printesa
    10 years ago
    Penny, it is strange to see so many allergies lately. I used to go to summer camps where there were hundreds of kids from different parts of the country. Nobody got special food or had any allergies. Today, you look at a class of 14 kids and it's becoming more and more difficult to find the kids without an allergy. Even I became allergic to cats after having cats and being around cats for more than 20 years. One trip to California did it.
    Cooking from scratch has always been the norm in our family and we still do that. Eating at restaurants is not something that we usually do because one never knows what they put in that food..I know that if there is MSG, I will get a migraine the second day. I really hope that people will get back to basics and realize that all these products that are supposed to shorten the time for preparing food are not good (e.g., cake mix, pancake mix, etc etc)
  • PRO
    Comforts of Home
    10 years ago
    Happyasaclam, what do you do with your Yonana maker?
  • KD
    10 years ago
    I want to point out that lactose intolerance is not the same thing as a milk allergy. Lactose intolerance is the inability to digest the SUGAR in milk - lactose. A milk or dairy allergy is an allergy to the protein in the milk. Depending on which of these conditions you have, there may be some dairy products you're fine with, but they're not going to be the same. For example, my mom is lactose intolerant but can have butter (milk fat) and highly processed whey protein powder (milk protein) with no problem, because the amount of milk sugar left in those items is pretty small to nonexistent. She can also have goat's milk products because while they do have some lactose, they have much less than cow's milk. Someone who had a dairy allergy might be able to have butter (I'm not sure how much milk protein there is in butter once it's all said and done) but pretty much anything else will be out of the question - but goat's and sheep's milk products might be completely fine because the allergy is to cow milk protein, not goat/sheep milk protein.

It's really important to know which problem you have and to try not to confuse other people about them because a lot of people have a hard time respecting food allergies and intolerances and treating them as serious things, and they like to go 'well, so and so claims to be X, and can eat this thing!' and similar to justify their being inconsiderate and rude. Plus, you know, it's good to know what to watch out for in food so you don't end up getting sick or having an allergic reaction. :)

(Also, a lactose intolerance reaction is not going to be the same as a protein-allergy reaction, typically. Lactose intolerance is more of a digestive system type thing, I don't think it can trigger an anaphylactic response in the way a protein allergy can. Which is not to say it can't be quite serious - it could still put you in the hospital if the reaction is bad enough, but the symptoms and risks are different.)
  • happyasaclam
    10 years ago
    I freeze the bananas and use various frozen fruit. My favorite is pineapple! I let it thaw just a little and run a couple of pieces of banana, then a handful of whatever fruit the grandkids or I want then finish off with a few more chunks of banana. I can make individual flavors for each of us. We eat it almost every night in the summer. I buy the frozen bagged fruit. That's the easiest way to do it. :)
  • happyasaclam
    10 years ago
    Comforts! How are you and your hubby doing?!?
  • Nancy Jefferis
    10 years ago
    Hmmmm. I love my Aroma rice cooker & my Oster egg cooker. Takes all the guess work out what I consider mundane chores.
  • Elsa Peterson
    10 years ago
    The article was written by a man. I would like to ask him how many power tools are in his garage or workshop that get used only once in awhile. Why have a table saw when a handsaw can do the same thing. Ditto for an electric drill over a screwdriver. I'm kidding of course but just making a point.
  • myrns
    10 years ago
    Silicone oven mitts don't work for me. They protect against the heat but are so bulky I can't grip the cooking pan properly and am afraid it will slip out of my hands. Back to good old fabric padded mitts that I can replace as they burn out.
  • Amy Stokes
    10 years ago
    I agree on the silicon gloves. On impulse, I picked up a couple of these the last time I was at IKEA. they are hands down the best pot holder I have ever owned. The little squares allow it to bend and completely mold to your hand. They are awesome.
  • yvonnecmartin
    10 years ago
    I would add the advantage of an ice-cream maker is that you can make exotic flavors. My family favorite for the summer is lavender ice cream: it doesn't taste like lavender smells, but rather fruity somewhat like pineapple. Another advantage is that you control what goes into the mix--usually only eggs, milk, cream, sugar and flavorings. No stabilzers or other additives. That said, I use the machine maybe four times a year, partly because my husband doesn't crave ice-cream and I would end up eating most of it. I use my mixer, food processor, bread maker, immersion blender and electric can opener at least several times a month.

No one has mentioned a food mill. This helps one make wonderful mashed potatoes and applesauce as well as helping processing surplus tomatoes for sauce or soup.
  • okdokegal
    10 years ago
    @houscom and others, regarding wheat; in the early 80's they BRED (not spliced) some new varieties resistant to diseases and with better maturing characteristics and bigger yield... it also actually tended to stimulate appetite (you want and eat more of it). I kid not. When these new wheat strains started taking over the market as the grain being grown; the allergies started cropping up.

Same thing for a lot of other foods, they bred them for production and marketability and the good nutrition went by the wayside. The animals are fed antibiotics and hormones; one particular chicken company has a way of forcing a chick to market size in 21 days. Fed hormones and antibiotics, they get a 3 plus pound dress weight in 21 days.

That is why the rising demand for non rBGH milk (bovine growth hormone).....

Back to topic, yes I've gotten suckered into buying the silicone baking stuff, and I understand why one use and the stuff hits the rummage sale or thrift store. Sounds neat, doesn't deliver. I was at least smart enough to buy some trial stuff at the thrift store, after use and non-wonder; cleaned it up and donated it back.
  • houscom
    10 years ago
    Thanks okdokegal. It's very concerning what's happening to our food , - could it ever be reversed? I doubt it. Its worrying to think what future generations will be faced with.
  • A P
    10 years ago
    Since I live in NYC and have limited storage space, I was never tempted to stock up on bread makers, pasta makers, ice cream makers, etc. But I do love my Breville toaster oven (toast and reheating stuff like pizza), my Cusinart food processor (latkes and pie crust), my rice cooker (hey, I'm Asian), my KitchenAid mixer, my waffle iron, my juicer (fresh lime juice for margaritas!), and even my George Foreman grill (switched to one with removable plates that doesn't get a great sear, but is great for paninis). But I can't get the hang of my immersion blender. Whenever I use it, stuff splatters all over the place!
  • Reanee Spratt
    10 years ago
    Love our Vitamixer. Hardly use our ice cream maker and deep fryer. I only use can openers that take the entire top off...manually. Why would anyone today use the ones that get shavings in the food? The Swiss ones are best:)
  • printesa
    10 years ago
    PirateFoxy, you are right. There is allergy and intolerance to different things. Some can be mild and some very serious. I just hope that one day, there is a realization that all these "progress" in agriculture is not the way to go.
  • PRO
    Comforts of Home
    10 years ago
    Happy...husband is doing chemo today. At end of February he should be done then he will be tested to see if cancer is in remission. Thanks for asking. Still no decision on downsizing through:)
  • happyasaclam
    10 years ago
    I still think about you and your hubby every day and say prayer for you both :)
  • KD
    10 years ago
    For oven mitts - I LOVE the Ove Glove, particularly the steam-proof ones. They're a bit bulky but they're actually heat-resistant gloves (I'm pretty sure they come from industrial use in factories and are just repackaged) and I find the amount of dexterity and grip I have with them SO MUCH better than either the regular type of oven mitt or the silicone mitten things. They're pretty much the number one kitchen gift I give people who are setting up a kitchen/new house these days.
  • PRO
    Comforts of Home
    10 years ago
    Thank you Happyasaclam...I think about you too. Nice to meet up with you on houzz:)
  • happyasaclam
    10 years ago
    You are so sweet, Comforts! We Houzzers are blessed you are sharing your time with us! :)
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    I'm not a gadget gal. I want to share the BEST gadget. When coffee would brew under the cabinet, it caused a dirty film on my cabinet door just above it. It trickled under the bottom and made it's way to the cabinet door. My sister-in-law while visiting told me about it. Went and bought that same day. Bought two others for my kids too!

Hand Caddy Kitchen Appliance Tray @ Bed Bath and Beyond $ 4.99 plus 20% off coupon. What a deal!!!
    Keep frequently used kitchen appliances nearby with the Handy Caddy. This gliding tray holds appliances under the cabinet when you don't need it, then slides out when you do.
    Handy Caddy Appliance Tray · More Info

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/search/search.jsp?Keyword=handy+caddy&view=grid&_dyncharset=UTF-8
  • Kate
    10 years ago
    Get one of these babies! It will change your life :-) I love mine so much.... http://www.thermomix.com.au/
  • oldhouseguru
    10 years ago
    Great advice! I've helped many people clean out their kitchens when moving, etc. and wish they could have the money they spent on things they never use back. But, when careful and selective I find some gadgets with 'maker' in the title are routinely useful for me. One has to consider one's actual habits as the article notes. I very much enjoy popcorn and my hot air popper makes it in a healthy, quick way without using any oil or without me worrying about scorching or cleaning a pan, etc. I also don't find most packaged breads to be healthy or taste really fresh and don't have the time to fuss making bread by hand. I enjoy my second hand 1990s domed bread machine. It makes a good healthy fresh loaf after I just measure in a few basic ingredients and press the button. Neither of these are hard to clean or were expensive. They do take up space but given our regular use of them are worth it and I've made room to hide them. I also find the old style Corningware cookware pictured in the one set of pull out shelves to be extremely durable, versatile and useful and will never give it up - my mom got her first piece in 1958 and we still have it.
  • Lori Roth
    10 years ago
    Don't knock the rice steamer/maker! I use it to steam veggies, chicken and yes, make rice. My slow cooker and I became friends this year but has no space on the counter for daily use. But my new Vitamix has top billing in my kitchen.
  • H C
    10 years ago
    Ditto for the yogurt maker and rice maker!!! A good culture , a warm spot and good crock and you have great yogurt. A large heavy pot makes great rice and bamboo steamer on top steams veggies and chicken :)
  • bungalowmo
    9 years ago
    One of my favorites....

My boss gave it to me because he knows how much I love vintage appliances!!

This is a pic off Ebay...but mine is just like this! ca. 1960
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    9 years ago
    bungalowmo, i'm guessing it grinds the beans, then brews, then user fills cup with coffee
  • pattikee
    9 years ago
    Waffle maker. So messy!!
  • Marci
    9 years ago
    Use the Cuisinart pretty frequently, and the KitchenAid stand mixer. Also the hand blender. Don't use the waffle iron that much, but every so often we get jonesin' for banana walnut waffles...
  • PRO
    J Design Group - Interior Designers Miami - Modern
    9 years ago
    Love magic Opener very much, at first, is tricky to know and use all it's functions properly but after understanding it better and using it several times, became a top helper to open all our pull tab food cans, small and large soda plastic bottles, aluminum beer and soda cans, water bottles, regular beer glass bottle, among other functions. We have it on top of our best gadgets list, and we use it as occasional special gifts as well.

It is a very unique gadget.

Easy to see it on Amazon.com as The Extreme magic Opener or at http://www.magicOpener.com

J Design Group, Top Miami Interior Designers - Modern - Contemporary Interior Design Firm in Miami, Florida - Top Decorators - http://www.JDesignGroup.com
  • bungalowmo
    9 years ago
    Curt...so far I've only made frozen Totties, but it can make bread, pasta dough, ice cream, & soup ....

I just like the fact that it's already outlasted a new blender I bought a few years ago. Ran that thing 4 times & the plastic "pitcher" part cracked. This thing is steel & has surgical steel blades! I can mix those drinks all night & scramble my eggs with it in the morning! hehe
  • pcmom1
    9 years ago
    Newly purchased best gadget: Lazy Susan built for inside the frig. So easy now to find things! Got in at Bed, Bath and Beyond.
  • seattlegirl2
    9 years ago
    I just got ride of KA food processor and electrical can opener and a electrical juicer
    I wanted to get ride of slow cooker but my DH wanted it. I use pressure cooker more than slow cooker, I don't remember when I took it out last time. It just sits inside cabinet collecting dust.
  • flufftop
    8 years ago

definitely the best gadget is a Thermomix. hubby has whole cupboard of gadgets that aren't used, ice cream maker, etc

• rachuba
    8 years ago

My KitchenAide stand mixer, with almost all of the attachments, is making someone who shops at Goodwill very, very happy! I don't bake any more, or do any of the type of cooking that called for the attachments. I don't have much time left, and I don't want to spend it making pasta from scratch, or grinding my own sausage, especially when there is so much premium products to choose from. We used it twice in two years, to make whipped cream...

• Momof5x
    8 years ago

I like blenders, coffee grinders and appliances that make mixing dough easier but those with many sharp/corrugated, metalic attachments, forget about as they make life difficult just trying to wash them. A good set of knives in the kitchen can do the job just as well and when I am done cutting and chopping veggies etc. , I only have knives to wash!

Sponsored
Carl Williamson Designs, LLC
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Nationally Acclaimed Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz