Software
Houzz Logo Print
jeannie_nguyen

Do you grow any fruits/veggies in you yard?

12 years ago
What delicious edibles do you have in your yard?

Post your photos and share your best gardening secrets! (Even if they're all dead because it's winter...haha)

The Kitchen Garden · More Info

Comments (30)

  • 12 years ago
    I have figs in my yard and a peach tree that grows over the fence. I pick my side.
  • 12 years ago
    pecans!!! Missouri native variety. small, plump, sweet and wonderful! taking 500 pounds to be hulled sometime next week. we'll vacu-seal them and freeze them when they're done.
  • 12 years ago
    We prefer to eat as much homegrown food as possible. So we have apples, pears, quinces, plums, cherries, peaches, nectarines and chestnuts in the orchard. Blueberries, red currants, gooseberries, red raspberries and wild blackberries. Wine grapes. In the garden we grow spinach, kale, chard, parsnips turnips beets snap peas, snow peas, cucumbers, zucchini, butternut squash, pumpkins, tomatoes, peppers, onions, potatoes, asparagus, lettuce, garlic, cabbage, sweet potatoes, horseradish, parsley, basil, thyme, oregano, savory, marjarom, dill, cilantro, coriander, carrots, radishes, broccoli, leeks, green onions....no sweet corn though, it takes up too much room for very little yield. I can/freeze/pickle/dry as much of it as possible. Fresh eggs from our chickens, pork and beef from a neighbor's herd. Store bought food is so questionable these days, we just prefer to be or know our food source instead of wondering.... Beginning to think becoming vegetarian might be next... taking a steak out of the freezer is disconnected but looking into the beautiful eyes of a black angus cow and seeing a kindred soul in there makes it very hard to enjoy that steak.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    My garden is too ugly to post right now. Grapefruit trees, pears, cumquat, tangelo, orange, lime, lemons, grape vines, strawberries. Tomatoes, bell pepper, cucumber, scallions, parsley, thyme, oregano. But, I must say that the cost of watering, etc is making the garden expensive as opposed to buying these items in the supermarket!
  • 12 years ago
    here are the tomato starts i planted last Spring. we're currently enjoying lots of soup and sauces made from the 100lbs or so of reduced tomato stock from these few plants. in the past i've usually planted appx 50 plants, this is a pared-down garden for us!
  • 12 years ago
    I already have my pepper and tomato plants ordered, but I've decided to order a larger variety of both and add tomatillos. I'm just waiting on spring to get here!
  • 12 years ago
    pecans, rosemary, limes, dragon fruit, a pineapple plant and in the summer I add peppers, tomatoes and other herbs.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I am growing rhubarb (first shoots showing now); kale, wild strawberry, apple, cherry tree (decimated in hail last summer), plum and cherry plum tree.
  • 12 years ago
    At the corners of the pergola I started grape vines; in the green fence there are some Pixie Crunch lil-big apples; a Red Delicious type columnar apple to save space and give the Pixie Crunch a pollinator; three stella cherries (had these at last house and they stay a smaller scaled tree and so good on the sweet cherries), a Siberian quince (sweet enough to eat fresh) a pear, and a Contender peach. All are semi dwarf to seriously dwarf; and just got some carmine cherry bushes to fill out the 'screen' on one side. The peach sets about once every 2-3 years, when it does those peaches are SO good. Two rows of trees to the front, a walkpath to go through there, and the patio and pergola still waiting to be built.

    I will be putting in square foot gardens and digging two walipini this year I hope; then I can hopefully be able to bring in regular croppage of tomatoes, peppers, some legumes, and try a few exotics with less work. I have several colocasia and alocasia I'm wintering as well as zone 10a and higher tropical that are marginal and pond plants for our aquaculture; and want to try thousand finger bananas and some palms this year, I only have to push 1 to 1.5 zones and should be able to. Meanwhile my bouganvilla are happy in the greenhouse as is my scarlet mandenvilla vine. I want a meyer lemon, but until I get a walipini, don't dare. Then there's the competition growing... hehhehe. You aren't growing until you use the words 'forklift' and 'harvest' in the same sentence.... pumpkin means pallet! ;)
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I haven't had much luck with vegetables yet (this is a "Dune" property and was neglected for at least 4 years before I bought it - maybe I'll try raised beds for veggies as they just disappeared from in ground plantings), but have pots of herbs - parsley and rosemary in the flowerbeds, a vanilla orchid growing up one of my palms, papaya, limequat (wonderful flavor), Meyers lemon and tangerene trees - also bananas but no fruit from them yet. I'm pushing the zones here too, but it's worth it! The palms, bird of paradise, hibiscus and orchids (inside during winter except for the vanilla orchid growing up the palm) are my food for the soul :)
  • 12 years ago
    We have date palms, lemons, herbs like parsley and coriander, tomatoes, Zuchinni all depending on the season though. This is on our get away farm home:
  • 12 years ago
    Big plans for this year. We'll be putting in a large veggie garden and several fruit trees (cherry, plum, and apple). We have more walnut trees than we can count, but that's typical in our area.
  • 12 years ago
    We have 3 types of pear, Bosc is the most productive, apple and plum. The racoons beat us to the figs each year and we have to be creative to keep the birds and squirrels from the strawberries but even the deer leave herbs alone. Tomatoes, cucumbers, peas, beans, kale and lettuce do well but winter squash don't mature. Not sure why I can't grow spinach. Beets are variable.
  • 12 years ago
    The former owners over planted our wee yard... We have 2 sour cherry trees, 3 varying apple trees and a solitary pear tree ( it's mate suddenly died a couple of years ago. I have rhubarb in my garden under the snow, strawberries and perennial asparagus on the east walkway retained bed. I have a 10 x 3 ft wide raised bed next to the house facing south next to my black brick patio where I grow ENORMOUS tomato plants, usually 3, and companion plant them with carrots. In April here, there is a garden centre that allows us to fill our planters with starters and cares for them until Mothers Day as that is generally when frost has passed in our zone near Edmonton, AB, Canada. Can't wait for gardening season!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    We don't necessarily grow them, but there are quite a few citrus trees in our yard. Grapefruit and half grape fruits/half oranges. They're great for juicing!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    We have a lemon tree, tomatoes coming soon, two chickens, strawberries (when the raccoons don't eat it all), grape vines, a variety of herbs and a pepper bush.
    We constantly increase our edible garden because I cook a lot and it's just better ingredients.
  • 12 years ago
    Our wood deck in front is 3" above ground level. Cut holes in them planted a cherry tree and a dwarf plum tree. Both are still small, but for its size we got about 20 plums last year. And when it comes to trees in general, we don't know what we're doing :) Beginners luck maybe. The cherry tomatoes in same location...It produces a lot, we can't shut it up. And a great big rose bush.
  • 12 years ago
    I had a garden once, a long time ago. Tomatoes, peppers, carrots, pumpkins, squash, chives, strawberries, and more that I just cannot remember. The deer, rabbits, and birds had a wonderful feast all summer long, and couldn't understand why I didn't try again the next year. :)
  • 12 years ago
    I have a small garden in my front yard (row home) but everything in my garden has a purpose. I grow lots of chamomile, strawberries, lavender, basil, and sunflowers
  • 12 years ago
    3 different oranges,lemon trees(humoungus lemmons),tangelo,apple,figs,plumb,carrots,tomaters grapes,strawberrys,banna,probably more Ive forgotten.
  • 12 years ago
    Trees: 2 lemon, 1 mandarin, 1 grapefruit, 2 plum, 1 quince, 1 lime, 1 persimmon, 1 walnut, 1 almond. Trade with neighbours for Apple and pear. Veggies: whatever grows in the season, plus potatoes. Strawberries, raspberries, passion fruit. Lots of work, but worth it.
  • 12 years ago
    I've a small rooftop garden. Cherry tomatoes, brinjal, papaya, watermelon, spinach and whatever seeds I can get my hands on ;))
  • 12 years ago
    Nothing unfortunately. Don't have a green thumb. So far it's just a challenge keeping the "builder special" landscaping alive.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    It is just a case of patience with gardening ... no green thumb needed. Researching how to grow & experimenting & of course some care it is amazing what you can grow.
  • 10 years ago

    I have 3 lemon trees. One Meyer lemon tree and 2 Ponderosa lemon trees. The Meyer tree produced lemons the first year. The Ponderosa trees are 3 years old and have only this year, produced yellow lemons. The last 2 years, they had green lemons.


  • 10 years ago
    We have two lemon trees, one is the Meyer in this pic, and another that has oranges grafted onto it. We also have an apple tree, in the front yard.
  • 10 years ago

    Does anyone have any advice for growing and keeping organic limes, spinach,hissop, bay leaf plants etc. on a mostly windy balcony in the Caribbean?

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Papaya trees perform pretty well in Florida, you may reach more information about how to grow papaya and papaya seeds sale at Florida Seeds company. Also for tomato seeds, pepper seeds or other vegetable crops. You might find very valuable the information from the University of Florida about Florida Crops Calendar.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago







    I have a small 50'x100' lot but grew up growing our own food. So I grow a few dwarf fruit trees like peaches, apple, and cherries. I have blueberry, raspberry, wineberry, blackberry and dwarf cranberry bushes, grape & kiwi vines, & strawberries. Perennial veggies such as artichokes, asparagus, leeks, garlic, oregano, coriander, fennel, lavendar, rosemary, sage, & thyme. As for annual vegetables, I grow cucumbers, eggplants, sweet and hot peppers, tomatoes, cherry tomotoes, zucchini, summer squash, spinach, chard, kale, broccoli, potatoes, green beans, peas, celery, basil, and plenty of salad greens. A coffee tree and 3 fig trees which I bring inside for the winter. Long lsland gets cold winters, we're zone 7, so I overwinter a lot of my sensitive plants in a small greenhouse. With the greenhouse I can grow spinach and lettuce year round. And of course of native pollinator plants to maximize production. So much better than growing grass.