Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abornstein

Kitchen Cabinet Layout Help!

abornstein
10 years ago
I am having troubles deciding if I like the cabinet layout as shown in the attached diagrams for my new kitchen. My main concern is the lone single cabinets to the right of the hood vent over the stove and then to the right of the kitchen sink. They feel unconnected and just hanging out there in space. Do I build cabinets across the top of the two windows to connect them? Or will this make it feel to boxed in? I have never done this before, so I've never really thought about kitchen cabinet layout, any thoughts and advice is appreciated!

Comments (23)

• PRO
    OnePlan
    10 years ago
    yeah me too ! maybe join them up with small glazed cabinets ! there spears to be room on the elevations !!
    abornstein thanked OnePlan
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    10 years ago
    haha typo ! there appears to be ! no spears required !! lol !
  • PRO
    ProSource Memphis
    10 years ago
    Have you thought of moving the range down to the left a bit so there isn't such a skinny cabinet next to the window? Then use an EZ Reach L shaped corner cabinet in the corner. The thing about symmetry in a kitchen is that upper symmetry is more important to the eye than lower symmetry. You will never stand in the exact sightline to appreciate it in most homes. You will always be standing to the right or left of the center line.
    abornstein thanked ProSource Memphis
  • PRO
    Adrian J. Naquin Interior Design L.L.C.
    10 years ago
    A quick tip would be: You could keep the lone wall cabinets but use glass doors or open shelves to disjuncture them from the rest of the wall cabinets - 36" passage space is enough - 42" is standard but the island seems to be 4 .5 ft from the range and should be 42" - 45" - or will mean too many steps/ reach to island - use a french door frig.
    abornstein thanked Adrian J. Naquin Interior Design L.L.C.
  • abornstein
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Originally the cooktop wasn't centered with the island/room it was more to the left, but I thought it would drive me nuts. Now I think all the weird cabinet widths might drive me nuts! I am such a lover of symmetry, I really thought I needed the hood vent/cooktop to line up with the center of the island and fireplace in the great room, but perhaps that is sacrificing function too much in the kitchen? And I THOUGHT the island seemed too far away from the cooktop, I had no idea there was a recommended distance, thank you for pointing that out!
  • lefty47
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    HI -- I don't think you need that cabinet to the right of the stove . Actually I think both the cabinets on each side of the window are not needed . Perhaps a few open shelves would look better . The one to the right of the sink will look fine when the kitchen is done . Sometimes it is hard to judge just looking at the plans .
    abornstein thanked lefty47
  • abornstein
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @ProSource Memphis: What is an EZ Reach L cabinet? We have a diagonal cabinet in the corner to the left of the cooktop, are you saying we should do one to the other corner as well?
  • PRO
    Luxcraft Cabinets
    10 years ago
    I would run a panel flat across the cabinets and than continue the crown across. Cabinets over the window will definitely box in the space. Take a look at the picture to see how we did one of our projects with a similar situation.
    abornstein thanked Luxcraft Cabinets
  • PRO
    ProSource Memphis
    10 years ago
    It's an L shaped corner cabinet that the face is also L shaped rather than diagonal. I prefer it to a diagonal corner for a couple of reasons.

The first is that it gives you better access to the space. A diagonal corner cabinet has a relatively small door for such a large volume interior. You may have difficulty accessing the depths. The EZ Reach lets you reach every single nook and cranny.

I also prefer it because I find diagonal cabinets can "loom" a bit. They are more in your face, whereas an EZ Reach follows the plane of the adjacent cabinetry.

It also can produce more symmetry in a design where you have a short leg rounding a corner.
  • PRO
    ProSource Memphis
    10 years ago
    BTW, the recommended aisle spacing (after counter overhangs are accounted for) is 42" for a single cook kitchen and 48" for a multiple user kitchen. If you are dealing with a refrigerator that projects into the aisle quite a bit, you want to account for that as well. Many of today's refrigerators can be 36" front to back!
  • PRO
    Luxcraft Cabinets
    10 years ago
    If you want to connect the cabinets behind the stainless steel hood, you can run a flat finished panel behind the hood and than run the crown molding back and across the panel until you hit the stainless on the hood.
  • abornstein
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I really appreciate all the advice and feedback, keep it coming!
  • Lesley Delle_Grazie
    10 years ago
    When we did our kitchen, our kitchen designer wanted to put 15" upper cabinets on either side of my 2 windows, but like you, I felt they would just be hanging there in space. We opted to have no upper cabinets on that wall. Instead, I have a big clock, a message board will be going above our desk area, and we just continued the cabinet on the adjacent wall right into the corner. I love the openness of that wall. I also think that a furniture-style built-in hood (like the 2nd photo Luxcraft posted) would keep the cabinet on the right side of the stove from feeling like it's floating, but that's a very traditional look, so not sure if it would work for you.
  • abornstein
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I agree Lesley, the furniture hood would help a lot, but our style is more transitional, a craftsman exterior with a dose of modern inside. I guess I'm rethinking my symmetry desire, shifting the cooktop back to the left would enable a larger size cabinet to the right of the hood, but then it's still just a single cabinet hanging in space. argh. Maybe it's open shelves for cookbook storage instead of the skinny cabinet to the right of the hood? But then it's got to go clear up to the ceiling and I'd need to fill the upper open shelves with permanent decorations of some kind that will just collect dust. I feel like that window by the cooktop is just messing up my whole design!
  • Lesley Delle_Grazie
    10 years ago
    Hmmm…so I'm thinking that if you move the cooktop over to the left, your sink is pretty far away from there (my hubby hates that our main sink is so far away from our stove, even though there's one in the island right behind it, but he forgets it's there, lol). What about moving your sink onto the same wall as the cooktop, right under that window? You need to imagine cooking pasta if you decide to move the cooktop over. Quite a distance to carry a pot of boiling water. Also, I think in doing that, it would make more sense for the placement of stove off-centre.
  • PRO
    Shuler Architecture
    10 years ago
    Yup, those are wonky in my opinion. Any chance you can infill that window? You really are almost there with this design and making the range/hood the focal point of this back wall will make this design sing.
  • abornstein
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Unfortunately we are at a point in building where moving the sink, or removing a window is just not an option for us.
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    10 years ago
    ok - so what if you put the illusion of another window in to balance it up - could use a mirror ( of put another actual window in ?) if the symmetry thing is important to you ?!?! have cabinetry and lighting running over the top ?!?
  • abornstein
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    We can't add another window to balance it out because it would be looking into our garage, lol. I'm realizing it's not going to be perfect symmetry, but trying to figure out the best way to balance or evenly weight that wall.
  • Lesley Delle_Grazie
    10 years ago
    Ok, couple of thoughts; I think it would perhaps make sense to mount the hood centred on the wall between the window frame and where the cabinet protrudes on the adjacent wall. There's lots of kitchens where there's a doorway to one side of a wall of cabinets and everything is centred on the wall beside the opening, so why not treat this window as such. I hope that makes sense? Or, you might consider hanging a double sided glass cabinet or glass shelves across the window to join the cabinets together visually. Type in "glass shelves across windows" in search for photos if you like this idea. Here is photo that shows the double-sided glass cabinet. I would still consider adding a second sink, even just a small one, near the cooktop, under the window if it's not too late to add some plumbing.

Colorful Elegance · More Info
  • Lesley Delle_Grazie
    10 years ago
    Here's what I mean about treating the window like a doorway. In this kitchen, the stove is centred on the wall between the doorway and the adjacent wall, not the centre of the kitchen. The island isn't centred on the stove, it's centred on the floor, and symmetry is maintained above the stove. If you think about it, someone standing way back in your kitchen won't even really be able to see what's going on with the lower cabinets anyway. By the time someone steps to stove side of the island, you can't really take in both top and bottom cabinets, so there's not really an issue with seeing them as unbalanced.

VP Interiors 2010 · More Info
  • Sandra Koll
    8 years ago

I'd love to see what OP's kitchen turn out like!