Software
Houzz Logo Print
clanglois1

How is the sound quality in this room?

12 years ago
Do you have an echo in this room? We have a similar room with 14 feet ceilings and hard floors and we have an echo. Do you have this problem? Trying to find out how to improve the sound quality.
Parade Home · More Info

Comments (20)

  • 12 years ago
    Oh..oh! We're just about to finish our new home. With the high ceiling and teak flooring. SHOULD I WORRY?
  • 12 years ago
    I don't dare do the rug. ...YORKIES! YIKES!
  • 12 years ago
    Our home has 14 feet ceilings, hardwood floors, floor to ceiling windows, a very open great room and a nice echo! We are about to get a stretch fabric acoustic system on our ceiling to hopefully help the sound issues.
  • 12 years ago
    Our home has 20 feet ceiling, travertine floor and a lot of windows and a grand piano. Well, it would be a nice place for a concert. We are getting used to the echo.
  • 12 years ago
    They installed our Novawall acoustic absorption ceiling last week. I highly recommend it!!! It completely changed the sound quality in our room and it looks like a regular ceiling!
  • 12 years ago
    clanglois1 can you post a pic of your Novawall?
  • 12 years ago
    Sure! I'll do it tomorrow:)
  • 12 years ago
    Here are 3 pics. They're not that great, but you can see it looks like a normal ceiling. The lights and vents were lowered to be flush with the ceiling. If you look closely you can see the seam in the middle of the room. It's noticeable if you stare at the ceiling but it doesn't look bad at all. Let me know if you have any other questions!!
  • 12 years ago
    Wow, it looks great! Thanks for posting. Can I ask where where you sourced the materials and install? Also were they very expensive? We just built a house and I have three girls under 5, I need to get this sound under control as it reverberates throughout the whole house!!
  • 12 years ago
    I completely understand! We have a 2 and 4 year old. I had a constant headache before we did this! Marek Brothers out of Dallas, TX did the ceiling for us. They are a Novawall distributor. They were awesome! It's really expensive. We spent just over 20k, but it was worth every penny! We couldn't even enjoy our house before. You might check with them though. Their first bid was 13k but I had them cover more surface area to be sure and fix the problem. I spent about 18 months researching trying to find the best solution and this was the only thing that I felt would work and wouldn't change the look of our home. I didn't want random shapes on our ceiling or anything like that. ThiS blends right in. If you're not in Texas, go to the Novawall website and you can find distributors in your area. Please let me know if you need anything else! I had no one to answer my questions!!
  • 12 years ago
    Clanglois1, your house looks beautiful and neat especially with 2 little ones running around.
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks so much Choolin!!!
  • 12 years ago
    clanglois1 thank you so much for the insights!
  • 11 years ago

    Wow, this was so educational. We just built our dream home on the lake- and the echo problems and sound problems are crazy. I am sound sensitive so have been researching and researching, had not heard of Novawall. Will look into it more. We hired an architect, feel like they should have mentioned something during the design process-do you agree?

  • 11 years ago
    I felt the same way. Not one person warned us that we might have an echo problem! I think the flat ceilings along with the huge windows had the most effect. Before we did this we didn't even hang out in our living room. We had to go down to the basement to watch TV and hated having friends over because it was so loud. I cannot recommend this product enough! We absolutely love our home now!!
  • 11 years ago

    Did anyone own the problem, or was it up to you to financially fix it?


  • 11 years ago
    Up to us.
  • 11 years ago

    I called and sent the house plans to get an estimate for the Novawall and Novaspan. I am hoping it works out or we are going to look for another lot and start over-dealing with the acoustic issues during the building stage. I figure it wouldn't be that bad, already have everything selected....hate to give up this beautiful lot so hope Novawall works!


  • 11 years ago
    Oh no! I hope it works too! Keep me updated!!
Sponsored
Whisler Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals