Software
Houzz Logo Print
orlielea

Window treatments

12 years ago
I have an open floor plan with two windows at opposite ends of the room. One area is the dinning room, the other is the living room area. The color scheme is different in each area. Would it be okay to have different window treatments in these areas. Both windows have 2 inch slat blinds and I'd like to keep them and just make window valances or cornices for each window. All comments are appreciated.

Comments (14)

  • 12 years ago
    You can certainly do different window treatments, but keep them looking like they're "sisters." Colors and styles should harmonize, but they don't have to match.
    Best of luck with your project.
    orlielea thanked Pamela (retired) DeCuir
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Personally, I would have them the same at least the same fabric..it is basically "one" room. I am not a fan of valances alone. I would suggest simple drapery panels for the dining room area..hung high, and mostly off the window sides. The other window, as we do not have a good picture of it, looks to fill the niche area next to the fireplace. If there is room use the same panels as dining. If not enough room off the sides, and the TV will stay there, I would make a roman shade in the same fabric as the drapes, hung as high as the drapery on the other side..above the window and just cover the top of the blinds header. It could be a working one or not.
    orlielea thanked Barbara Griffith Designs
  • 12 years ago
    Barbara griffin...the TV won't be located there and chair moved closer to the window. It will go after the family room is built...I know it looks a little crowed. Presently I have off white valances up there now, kinda to offset the blinds. Thanks for your advice.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Please use drapery and not valances. I also agree with above choose a color close to your wall color.
    orlielea thanked Barbara Griffith Designs
  • 12 years ago
    Now the big questions. What color and what do you think about sheers? Should they Ben the same color. I tried sage green...awful. Will sheers or drapery look good with the blinds?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I would definitely do drapes in the dining area and a valance on the window beside the fireplace. I suggest using the same fabrics in both rooms since they are open to one another. You could definitely use some color in the fabric since you have very neutral walls. PLEASE, PLEASE - mount your rod up almost to the top of the wall when you mount your drapes in the dining room and mount the family room valance at the same height. I wouldn't use sheers. You could use a faux roman shade valance or a relaxed roman shade valance on the family room window and also use that same style valance UNDER the panels in the dining room.
    orlielea thanked Window Accents by Vanessa Downs
  • 12 years ago
    So, what to do with the blinds...I like privacy, and the windows in the dining room, late afternoon, have a lot of sun.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Keep the blinds as they are AND hang drapery panels off the sides and hung high, 95". Simple panels. I would have the panels color be very close to the wall color..maybe just a "tad" darker.
    orlielea thanked Barbara Griffith Designs
  • 12 years ago
    I like your idea very much.. This makes it "open" looking. I feel so much that everything is so close together. This makes me feel more open and not competing with all the different colors. Thanks so much
  • 12 years ago
    Vanessa, why is it important for the drapes to be hung so high up from the window? Thanks to everyone who answer.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    It helps make the ceilings appear taller when you hang the drapes up higher. It doesn't have to be snug to the ceiling but definitely at least halfway between the frame and ceiling.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Browse drapery photos here on houzz and you'll find a lot of examples of drapes hung higher, so you can get a visual.
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you Vanessa...I'll do that.