Software
Houzz Logo Print
jmdg

Need help picking my backsplash

12 years ago
I would appreciate your opinion on choosing between 2 backsplashes for behind stove. Kitchen cabinets are cascade white, countertop cesarstone dreamy marfil and antique brown for island. Options are
1) herringbone with 3X6 subway design around 2) flower mosaic with 3X6 subway design around. Thanks for your help!

Comments (32)

  • 12 years ago
    I love them both but I think my vote would be for the herringbone.
  • 12 years ago
    I also like both but vote for the mosaic.
  • 12 years ago
    what does the counter look like.
    that does have a bearing on the choice of back splash :)
    jmdg thanked anne dee
  • 12 years ago
    The cesar stone is dreamy marfil. It is creamy beige tone and is the stone with the blue sticky note in the photo. The piece next to it is the granite. We are planning on putting the antique brown on the island. Thanks for your help.
  • 12 years ago
    either one would look very nice
    to my eyes the herringbone has a contemporary feel
    the mosaic is more traditional
    jmdg thanked anne dee
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    What type of countertop?
    jmdg thanked Onyx Construction
  • 12 years ago
    I like both too but I would go with the Florida flower mosaic. I have the same backsplash except in crema marfil. Have fun!
    jmdg thanked Clay Aragon
  • 12 years ago
    I looked up the countertop. Here it is.
    jmdg thanked saratogaswizzlestick
  • 12 years ago
    Like both, but the mosaic caught my eye. Think it will be a nice focal point.
    jmdg thanked grobby
  • 12 years ago
    Mosaic
    jmdg thanked dawncarter1968
  • 12 years ago
    Mosaic
    jmdg thanked auntiebuzzybee
  • 12 years ago
    The herringbone with 3X6 subway design is going to give you a more updated, almost a nod to modern. The flower mosaic with 3X6 subway design around will be much more traditional. Both are beautiful.... Personally I prefer the herringbone.
    jmdg thanked Daren Merchant
  • 12 years ago
    Agree with dclostboy RE: no 1x1s
    jmdg thanked auntiebuzzybee
  • PRO
    jmdg thanked Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
  • 12 years ago
    Hey there jmdg, just really curious, did you decide? Obviously, either is a winner. So? ???
    jmdg thanked auntiebuzzybee
  • 12 years ago
    I have not decided yet, but I have to. My friend suggested doing the herringbone all around rather than a focal point. Will definitely let everyone know decision and then post a picture of final product. Thanks so much for your help (I definitely could use it and appreciate the feedback.)
  • 12 years ago
    I like the herringbone better.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Adding a fabulous centerpiece like this Ravenna Plaque and then surrounding it with a white ceramic 3x6 subway tile would be spectacular. It comes in 16 different metal finishes
  • 12 years ago
    I love that! It is so pretty. I am going to consider that option. Thank you!
  • 12 years ago
    with the bold island.....my vote is the tile in the 2nd picture.
    jmdg thanked usergray
  • 12 years ago
    HOUZZERS! Hey everyone, wasn't there a dilemma recently with somebody's fireplace being poorly tiled out in the Herringbone? It was in the left corner where the tilers "eye" on it got sort of turned around? It was a tricky tile job and some folks noticed and said NO WAY, REDO and others said it's fine. ANY WORDS OF WISDOM FOR JDMG IF THEY CHOOSE HERRINGBONE??? Just sayin...I think it could be tricky for novice. ( I couldn't do it. It's too puzzle like)
    jmdg thanked auntiebuzzybee
  • 12 years ago
    I could be wrong, but JDMG hasn't indicated they are doing the installation themselves.
    jmdg thanked Rachel H
  • 12 years ago
    We hired a tile professional to install the back splash as we are not able to install tile.
  • 12 years ago
    Neither did the other folks who had the messed up fireplace. It was an upset homeowner and a GOOD discussion about tile design. I don't see it in my discussion history. I probably did not comment. I was hoping someone from the homeowners dilemma would recall it so that same mistake could be avoided. Planning and experience and good advise is what we hope to accomplish here.
    jmdg thanked auntiebuzzybee
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Herringbone pattern is great but highly recommend a professional for installation
    jmdg thanked Coates Design Architecture + Interiors
  • 12 years ago
    Love the mosaic but would be afraid that it's "busy" to my eye.
    jmdg thanked sph137
  • 12 years ago
    This project is definitely a learning experience with some unfortunate "Live and learn" experiences, so I totally appreciate all the feedback and suggestions.
  • 12 years ago
    @ Racheal H - My point was that it is tricky and even "professionals" need experience and advise. Just wanted to mention the level of difficulty for some people. Evidently the tilers had thought it was ok and the inexperienced homeowner did not think it looked right. The homeowner was then stuck with decision about having it redone or take it in the teeth and pay for it anyway. One of the people on that thread demonstrated in a photo the way it ( a HERRINGBONE design) was supposed to look.
    My comment here is only to hopefully caution and help the OP.
    jmdg thanked auntiebuzzybee
  • jmdg thanked saratogaswizzlestick
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks for sharing that information. If I decide to go with the herringbone I will let the installer see that discussion and to confirm that he will install the pattern correctly. Thanks so much!
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you, Saratoga. That IS the dilemma I was remembering. ( Love your name, BTW, it sounds like a racehorse!)
    Best of luck, jmdg. You have beautiful taste. Either is a pretty.