Software
Houzz Logo Print
barbara_kiely

Pl help me get this room finished!

12 years ago
Tore down wall between DR and kitchen ( L shaped galley kitchen) and put hardwood down and painted a soft Linkout yellow by BM. I moved the DR table to across the window.but I think it will be difficult to get out of. at a buffet dinner party . The room is not that big. I was trying to put it under the pendant light but it looks funny. I know the lamp sould go ..what do you think? Obviously it should be lower. I could live with atransitional look or somethink abit funky.

The hutch fitted perfectly before. in the right alcove but I wanted to display it better but I think it takes up too much room. Should I put it backThoughts on that?

About the kitchen table and chairs I to paint it teal to go with my teal accents I the LR. thoughts I am open to suggestions
I have to keep all furniture sorry cuz my husband likes them all! I cannot paint the varnished pieces. Help!

Comments (293)

  • 12 years ago
    Same for me abbyjean:)
    Barbara Kiely thanked Ann
  • 12 years ago
    Barbara, I couldn't tell which you were looking at from just the names, so I chose a few that seemed close to what you mentioned and another or so that just seemed nice to me. Basically, it's just like choosing the art. Do you want it to stand out or blend in? and you're the one that really needs to answer that question. Here are the ones I picked out.
    Barbara Kiely thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    Hover over each to get the full picture.
    Barbara Kiely thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    Yes, they are gorgeous. I am leaning towards 3 and 4. I am debating whether one would get tired of the multi- shaded blue one. Thoughts?
  • 12 years ago
    As surprised as I am to be saying this, I like 4 the best because I think it will complement your style without overpowering the room. I do like 3 as well but am a bit concerned that the while the blue will be great with your table and art, the gray may not work well with the warmer tones in the kitchen. Also, I think that 4 will be more forgiving size-wise. The edges have more play in them than the blue.
    Barbara Kiely thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks rngp I agree! I think Number 4 is the one
  • 12 years ago
    Can't wait to see how that turns out! In my mind, it's gorgeous!
    Barbara Kiely thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    I am very excited to see all of this, too!!!
    Barbara Kiely thanked abbyjean
  • 12 years ago
    Another question....any feedback re the crumpled edges of my newly laid rug? Will it settle with wear( I am hoping?) or it won't. I have the underlay under it and it still won't lay flat. I have safety concerns bec my husband has 2 artificial knees and could trip. If I had to I could move to another place in another room which gets minimal traffic. However, I rather use it here. Thoughts?
  • 12 years ago
    What is your rug made of? If it's cotton or wool I wonder if it could be ironed. Or maybe take it to a dry cleaners that has a mangle to press it flat.

    I've been following your dilemma and am so impressed with how your room is turning out. Very inspiring!
    Barbara Kiely thanked soccerates
  • 12 years ago
    Yes, I wonder if the cleaners could help - it would be a shame if it had to move but, of course, safety is most important.
    Barbara Kiely thanked Ann
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Check to see if you have a store in the area that washes oriental rugs. Please don't take it to a dry cleaner! It is a flat weave and there may be a way to flatten the edges with the proper type of underlayment.
    Barbara Kiely thanked janragna
  • 12 years ago
    put some phone books on the edges...oh wait they don't make them anymore. sorry. How about a big dictionary instead.
    Barbara Kiely thanked sunnydrew
  • 12 years ago
    I think my dry cleaner comment was misunderstood. I'm not saying to have the rug cleaned or put in a commercial dryer at all. But rather see if they have a mangle. It's a type of press that is used to smooth long fabric items. My grandmother had one in her drapery shop. It had two parallel fabric covered rollers with a motor and the fabric was fed through. It's sort of like a pasta machine on steroids. Maybe, though, it's not called a mangle anymore. My grandmother is English so there might be a different name for that machine in the US and Canada.
    Barbara Kiely thanked soccerates
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks for the help....I plan on ironing it, weighting down and /or press it with the mangle as I would. I really want to use the runner by the kitchen table but it has to lie flat for safety sake.
  • 12 years ago
    It's a beautiful rug.

    If you plans for making it lie flat don't work, consider consulting a company that specializes in cleaning oriental rugs. My daughter had a wool flat-weave modern rug that the local dry-cleaners returned in a wrinkled mess. The oriental rug people returned it flat as a pancake. Here is a link to their process with photos. http://permoth.com/services.html. In particular, they have a wringer to press out the water. This probably helps with the flatness.
    Barbara Kiely thanked yvonnecmartin
  • 12 years ago
    Do you have any suggestions for fabric I could order for the DR chairs and for a light for over the DR which may be eclectic but under $300?
  • 12 years ago
    When you can, post a picture of the chair, ok?
  • 12 years ago
    Here is one of the chairs I would like to recover for the dining room. In the last picture I show the table with the leaf in but usually it would not be in. Would you suggest any additional chairs say 2 but must be small cuz I sometimes seat 9 persons at my frequent family/friend dinners? Suggestions for an inexpensive eclectic light over the table? All your creative thoughts are soooo welcome!
  • 12 years ago
    Here is a picture of one of the lights I bought at Westelm but I do not see anymore there. Bot I thought perhaps I could put 2 or 3 over the table at different lengths or something completely else?.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I am not sure about a pattern for the chairs, as it might not work with the rug right there. BUT I can see taking a color from the rug and the red is the one that jumps at me. It might mean taking the rug or something the SAME shade along, but I like the red in this room at that end. I also like something with texture as I think it will be more durable for all your gatherings.
    Barbara Kiely thanked abbyjean
  • 12 years ago
    I am soooo not good at lights, which is why I enjoyed following the previous part of this discussion.
  • 12 years ago
    Me too abbyjean - I'm terrible with ideas for lights:) I kind of agree with a textured solid for the dining room chairs. I sort of like the current fabric. Is it worn out?
    Barbara Kiely thanked Ann
  • 12 years ago
    Barbara, would you please post a pic of your rooms now from the same angle as your original post? There have been so many changes made that I think it would be helpful to see a "before and after" before we begin to discuss lighting for the DR. My first reaction to the one from West Elm is not a great one so I'd rather see it in the space so that I can offer a more considered opinion.
    Barbara Kiely thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Barbara, I've done a quick search for fabrics and have posted a few choices here. The more fabrics I saw, the more convinced I became that a gold base for the fabrics was a better way to go so that it would make the flow of colors from the kitchen to the DR more cohesive. I am posting both red and gold and am continuing the search but thought I would get your thoughts before going too far.
    [houzz=
    Pindler & Pindler Staccato Moroccan · More Info
    ]

    [houzz=
    Beacon Hill Kilfenora Goldenrod Fabric · More Info
    ]

    [houzz=
    Robert Allen Nelliecoyne Pomegranate Fabric · More Info
    ]

    [houzz=
    Robert Allen Always Russet Fabric · More Info
    ]

    [houzz=
    Robert Allen Houndsville Birch Fabric · More Info
    ]
    Barbara Kiely thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    This one is time sensitive as the sale ends in 2 days at Joss and Main. They have some really fabulous sales but you have to get'em while they're hot!... :)

    [houzz=
    Cast a Glow · More Info
    ]
    Barbara Kiely thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    Here are some pictures you requested. Now I have to fess up that I goofed by putting the large mirror in the wrong place and too low! Anyway, I must admit I really like the red Moroccan fabric but it does not warrent changing the fabric on the chairs because they are similar. Maybe I will live with the fabric for now.any other suggestions for lights. I like the one you posted rngp but I don't love it!
  • 12 years ago
    This shows the present light which is too high.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I am ok with that mirror right there!!! I think I would like the giraffe in the corner, though, instead of in front of it......and no plant there with them. I think the giraffe beside it will help to balance it out. And if you are ok with the chairs as they are, that is really good as they do look just fine.
    Barbara Kiely thanked abbyjean
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Is there a way to lower the current light? You want eclectic......got it. You want color.......got it.....and the cloors work right there, too. It also looks like the right size for the table.
    Barbara Kiely thanked abbyjean
  • 12 years ago
    Absolutely - that's a fine place for the mirror!!!! Tough to tell about the height. Totally agree with everything abbyjean just said:):) Kitchen area looks fantastic too but not crazy about the big white box on the desk. Love the painted kitchen chairs! I think the light fixture will need to be eclectic, but as I mentioned, I'm not good with lights. I'll sure enjoy voting on finalists though:)
    Barbara Kiely thanked Ann
  • 12 years ago
    Overlapped, but kind of agree about with abbyjean about the current light too. The previous agreement was about the giraffes:)
    Barbara Kiely thanked Ann
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you Abbyjean... My husband will so pleased that I am not changing the fabric or the light. I will bring down the light closer to the table
  • 12 years ago
    Seriously? You can bring the light down.....just like that! LOVE it and it is always good when hubby is pleased!!!
    Barbara Kiely thanked abbyjean
  • 12 years ago
    I just smile when I look at these pics......and I felt bad when you felt you had to make a confession. No way!!!
    Barbara Kiely thanked abbyjean
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Now I have to agree with Ann and the white box. It is too big for right there, but I want to know more about it. I know it is special and would love to know the story and what it is. We WILL find a place for it. White is good in this room. I know at one time, you just sort of sat it on the kitchen counter that is open. Is that an option at all?
    Barbara Kiely thanked abbyjean
  • 12 years ago
    This may have been already addressed and, if so, I apologize but was there a reason for not putting the rug under the DR table? And I'm glad to know your opinion of the light, I liked it but I had no clue what your feelings would be. I agree that lowering your current light is a great idea and live that with a bit before you make any more changes. The big round mirror is fine where it is and yes, the giraffes need their corner to shine. I too see no real reason to change the chairs but since you were asking about that I did a little shopping. Can't wait to see the panel in the kitchen and thanks for reposting the pics.
    Barbara Kiely thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    Try the plant that is with the giraffes in exactly the same place, but on the other side of the window. Now you know that mirror can move as the very special one gets to stay!!!
    Barbara Kiely thanked abbyjean
  • 12 years ago
    That lignite box could be painted? It contains bills, pens etc and I found it very handy in the kitchen. The desk looks nice but the drawer has a problem with sticking.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    OK.....fixing that drawer is hubby's job as soon as the light gets lowered. Try to think.....is it wax or even a pencil that you can run along something to keep it from sticking so much???

    I would keep the box as is and keep it handy in the kitchen.
    Barbara Kiely thanked abbyjean
  • 12 years ago
    I think the white box is definitely too big for that spot - kind of ruins the look of the desk.
    Barbara Kiely thanked Ann
  • 12 years ago
    Overlapped
    rngp Thank for your input. Are you suggesting that the rug should go under the table but leave it the same way which is across the room instead of longitudinal? I don't think we ever discussed this but I can try it.

    Abbyjean Thanks for your suggestions and yes I will move the giraffes. About the white box...it's soooo handy and you think I should put it back on the counter...sure. Yup I am so appreciative of you and Ann hanging in there. I did not feel so sure about the resting place for that darn old lovely,huge mirror..
  • 12 years ago
    No...under the table but parallel to the length of the table. Like putting a box inside a box.
  • 12 years ago
    Handy and pretty......scores a place on the kitchen counter for sure!!!
  • 12 years ago
    Just to comment on the importance of small tweaks. I have been fiddling around with a guest bedroom for a while now. I finally found bedding that I really liked but something seemed off. While my housekeeper was here this a.m., we finally figured out the problem and put a sham from another bedding set to the back of the current one and it made so much difference that I went from frustrated to fantastic! It's just the smallest of things that sometimes make a world of difference.
    Barbara Kiely thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    I think a discussion earlier....lots earlier......mentioned the rug was too small for under the table to work with the chairs fitting the right way???
    Barbara Kiely thanked abbyjean
  • 12 years ago
    That may be, abbyjean, I have read through all the posts at one time or another but didn't remember that being discussed and was frankly too lazy to read them through again. lol.
    Barbara Kiely thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    I totally understand........been there, done that. And then I get hollered at, too! LOL
    Barbara Kiely thanked abbyjean
  • 12 years ago
    Oh, I hope you don't move the rug - I love it in its current place and it's too small for under the dining room table:)
  • 12 years ago
    Ann, I simply asked if there was a reason for not having it under the table. Obviously, there is. Moving on.
    Barbara Kiely thanked User