Software
Houzz Logo Print
priyavansh

Ensuite Countertop help!

12 years ago
Would love opinions on countertop colour for our ensuite. I'm going for a modern look to our bathroom with dark floors and grey tiles on the wall and a high sheen white cabinetry. Our sinks will be white square undermount sinks.
What colour counters would work best??

Comments (29)

  • 12 years ago
    Printesa: Thank you, I was wondering about grey as well. Would i go with a dark grey to match the floor or a light grey to match the tile?
  • 12 years ago
    If gray, I would want to match the tile.
  • 12 years ago
    I think a heavily veined statuary marble would look good. It will tie the white and gray together.
  • 12 years ago
    I thought about the marble, too, but I'm not sure how easy it is to maintain marble in the bathroom. I believe it needs to stay away from make-up and any other styling products.
  • 12 years ago
    I also thought about a carrera marble, but wondered if the veining would look odd with the very straight lines in the bathroom. We were looking at ceaserstone pure white, raven or silestone kensho or cemento. It's hard to tell based on colours from the website.
    I think the pure white will be very hard to maintain in the bathroom though?
  • 12 years ago
    Soapstone can be grey when dry and nearly black when oiled/wet. It's the material chemical labs use for countertops and flooring. It doesn't need sealing and doesn't stain. It darkens with age.
  • 12 years ago
    If you like white, go with that. It's not hard to maintain. Just a quick wipe down and that is all. Also, the counter is not too large so it won't take much to wipe the dust and any spills.
  • 12 years ago
    Marble has gotten a bad reputation. As long as it is sealed, it is easy to maintain. Most issues stem from improper cleaning -- ie Lysol, vinegar, windex etc. Use a PH neutral cleaner (like rubbing alcohol) On the marble, fixtures and mirror and you wont have any issues. I use perfume, hairspray, makeup etc in my bathroom and haven't had any issues. Overspray isn't the problem. If you spill something, clean it up and you will be fine. Just think about all of the hotels around the world that have marble in the bathrooms. They aren't stained and chipped, even with rough use by hotel guests.

    I think statuary is more contemporary in feel than Carrara. They are from the same quarry, but statuary tends to have a whiter background and the veining is a lot cleaner. Carrara has a more muted and softer veining pattern.

    If you're afraid of marble, I think a white quartz is the next best option.
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks Amy! I don't know if our guy has statuary available but I'll ask to take a look.
  • 12 years ago
    Thoughts on any of these colours - ceaserstone pure white, raven or silestone kensho or cemento.
  • 12 years ago
    yes, the veined marble look is a nice compliment to the straight lines of everything else. I am wondering about your lighting though, are you planning to put it over head fixtures for 2 sinks? the wires look very low coming out of wall. it would be great if that hardwiring could be used for large mirrors that are lit from within all the way around. What is your plan. Also can I see the rest of the room- shower and tub? thanks
  • 12 years ago
    @sunnydrew: You're right, the lighting will backlight the 2 mirrors going on the wall. We'll also be putting lighting at the bottom of the cabinets to light the floor to give it a floating look. I'll try and get some more pictures of the rest of the room. The shower tiles match the grey wall tile, and the soaker tub is off to the side, surrounded by the black floor tile.
  • 12 years ago
    How about bianco antico granite?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I would go dark. There is always a discrepancy with what's real and what shows up on my screen. what I see is almost a warm grey. If that is the case why not introduce a brown granite with grey highlights. Good luck to you.
  • 12 years ago
    the granite above by dclostboy looks nice, but it would be great if you could find something really unique beside granite or that marble look. those are nice, but your bathroom is going to be exceptional. I am so glad that I was the first one to guess about your lighted mirrors. What a great way to light the vanity!
  • 12 years ago
    Depending on budget, I think a copper counter would be great
  • 12 years ago
    Sunny, you made a great guess on the lights! Finding the right mirrors is the next challenge. I think we will consider the carrera or a quartz just based on availability here. Just cant find a grey that works.
  • 12 years ago
    Dclostboy: the granite is quite nice. I will ask my supplier if she has it for me to see. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • 12 years ago
    here are some pictures of the rear lighted mirrors, if you are still searching for them.
  • 12 years ago
    Sunnydrew: I don't see any pictures attached to your post?
  • 12 years ago
    We've narrowed it down to bianco carrera marble and a super white quartz slab that we love. I'll post final pictures once we made the decision!
  • 12 years ago
    SORRY- here is the link http://www.houzz.com/back-lighted-mirrors . I did not see that they didn't paste on the other day.
  • 12 years ago
    what color of paint on wall?
  • 12 years ago
    Hi Sandy - the colour we used was Benjamin Moore Silver Satin.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Have you considered concrete? I would suggest going with a dark gray to contrast the cabinets and compliment the paint color. Our Verdicrete formula is water-resistant and very easy to maintain, and we can do a custom paint match for any color you'd like. http://www.brookscustom.com/concrete-countertops-materials.php
  • 12 years ago
    PrriyavanshI: would love to see a pic of your finished bathroom. Also what is the name ( color and brand) of the tile--floor and wall? Thanks!
  • 12 years ago
    We used Cambria's Torquay on our kitchen island. It is supposed to be the next best thing to marble and may appeal to you, but it is not a real close replica to marble.
  • 10 years ago
    A Caesarstone counter might look good. It is super easy to maintain (which is good in a bathroom which is "high maintenance"). There are a number of choices with a white background and grey fleck. This would tie the floor and wall colours together. You can request a sample and they'll send one to you. This is handy for when you go shopping for other accessories. Love your floor tiles, by the way.