Software
Houzz Logo Print
condowen19

Pot Shelf ideas?

12 years ago
I have slowly purchased items for my pot shelf but now that they are all together I am not sure they blend? Any thoughts or changes that could help?

Comments (32)

  • 12 years ago
    Personally, I would take down everything but the stacked suitcases and move them on an angle in the right corner ( tall wall side). It is way to busy with all like sized items.
  • 12 years ago
    Really? That bad. I used to just have the welcome sign and two plants but I thought it was too bare
  • 12 years ago
    Well, these things are subjective. You need varying heights. I totally get what you mean. I have shelves and maybe it is because I just removed my many items and minimized my clutter so I think everyone should lol .
  • 12 years ago
    I agree with Margo - remove anything that is too small to be appreciated from such a distance. Large urns show up best on these plant shelves.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Define "pot".
  • 12 years ago
    The kind that doesn't need grow lights :)
  • 12 years ago
    Happy- get back to the teen bedroom lol ,,, no pot here;)
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Oh good, I would hate to be aiding and abetting.
  • 12 years ago
    I agree. Everything but the luggage is too small so it tends to look like clutter. A large platter on a stand could work up there perhaps in the corner, luggage where it is and perhaps a tall vase with sticks in the other corner. You have lovely high ceilings.
  • 12 years ago
    Does it seem like I am referring to a different kind of high?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    A taxidermied saber tooth tiger looking down on it's dinner would be a conversation piece.
  • 12 years ago
    Yes ma'am, Margo....
  • 12 years ago
    Hmmm......I think maybe someone's high........Mark? Care to share?
  • 12 years ago
    Btw, I don't think you will find (a) pot in that teen bedroom either, happy. Well, maybe a crackpot?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I was just making a inquisition to clarify the intent of the discussion.
  • 12 years ago
    I don't know, kare. I think he's *clean* :D
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Of course I'm clean. I shower once a month whether I need it or not.
  • 12 years ago
    Mark, hahaha, I think hapoy was referring to the "teenager" on a bedroom dilemma! But your hygiene habits are important to us, so your comment wasn't wasted :D
  • 12 years ago
    How do I remove this post?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Click on the "X' in the upper right corner of the comment box.
  • 12 years ago
    Condowen19, I apologize if you feel we hijacked your thread. We Houzzers do like to have fun and joke around from time to time - especially on Saturday nights. It can be a stressful and frustrating experience commenting on this site at times, so we let our hair down now and then!

    Just let this thread get buried in the stream of new dilemmas and it will become inactive before you know it. In the morning, why not start a fresh dilemma and I promise to not come within a mile of it!
  • 12 years ago
    Maybe I can help get back on track, lol. I think a large plate on an easel and/or an urn or even a grouping of urns/vases in different heights. I think some of the items you have are to small and get lost. Keep at it and I know you will end up with something you love, takes a lot of trying to get the result you want, good luck.
  • 12 years ago
    Take everything down
    It is all redundant
    sorry to be so blunt :-)
  • 12 years ago
    Haha no worries karemore. I understand. Thanks for the input everyone.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Okay, a serious comment. First consider what you have: A high ledge with an abrupt termination to the left, a medium height wall above the ledge, and to the right taller walls above the ledge forming the corner. To harmonize with what you have, you can do a similar thing with the arrangement you place on the ledge. To the left place something that will terminate your arrangement, to the right you use the taller wall as a backdrop to a taller object that comes closer to the ceiling, then in the center something to tie the two sides together. Use a variety of heights and a variety of depths to crate interest.

    Scale is important too. Place things up there that are the right size so they are redly visible above everyones head. Not so small that you only see the top of it, and not too big that you are afraid it will fall on you.

    Create a theme with items that relate to each other in some way. The relationship does not have to be obvious to everyone, just so it is known to you. Place one thing up there that an observant person will ask, "What is that?".
  • 12 years ago
    condowen19, next time we get out of line give us a good talkin' to and we'll straighten up, I promise. kare is right. Saturday nights we tend to get a little silly. Sorry we upset you. :)
  • 12 years ago
    I am not sorry, I like to challenge a poster's patientence;)) No one is paying for Houzz time or advice. If the poster is friendly and actually heeds the advice the more comments will come. Let's not be so desperate for dilemma's lol.....even though we all know we lust for them lol
  • 12 years ago
    Mark thank you so much. That is an excellent explanation and great advice. I will try that and re post after photo. Thank you all again.
  • 12 years ago
    I agree with the idea of taking things down. Leave it for a month and my experience tells me something will "talk" to you. T would however replace the ceiling fan in room behind these shelves with one that is lighter or or metallic, not dark to draw eye up and beyond the shelves. Like the suitcases maybe a travel theme, train
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Yep. I agree. Except for the suitcases, everything else is too small
  • 12 years ago
    I noticed that the second picture you posted seems to be taken from a stairway. Do the stairs sit beside this....pot....wall? If so I think the situation may be somewhat different than originally.....a long time ago.....perceived. If people look at this wall as they go up the stairs I don't think you need to be quite as focused on size. I also see you have art on the other wall that seems to be about wine. Could you carry that theme to the pot wall?