Software
Houzz Logo Print
rtearle

lamp

12 years ago
help with this lamp behind the chair not sure if it fits the space. thanks

Comments (73)

  • 12 years ago
    I did have the sofa table under the picture with sconces but move the Bombay chest there and put the safa table behind the large chair.
  • 12 years ago
    I agree that the seating needs to be clustered into closer groupings. Consider an area rug (as simple as a piece of bound wool broadloom) which will anchor your room, and give you a place to hide your lamp cords. You don't need to pile all of your furniture in the center. Set aside an area (such as your chair, side table and lamp) as an island off the mainland. I agree that the brass kinetic floor lamp would look great by the chair.

    The small wall with the fireplace and the large arched casings are dramatically proportioned. I'd consider something subtle like an 12-18" high bas relief in an elongated shape to complement the arch. Sit it on the mantle so it tilts back slightly. It will really draw the eye in. Museum stores are great sources for these pieces.. Also, the clock over the mantle needs a new home. Clocks make people tense. (Think tick, tick, tick the slow march to the deadline.) Very Victorian detail, but not in your most inviting room. The rest of the mantle could have a few small leafed trailing plants or something small and horizontal. You can change it with your mood.
  • 12 years ago
    Beautiful room, but the lamp serves no purpose behind the chair. A floor lamp would look nice but I also think that you need a small table next to the chair for a drink, book etc.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    So glad you are trying new arrangements. You will find the most success if you post photos of the different arrangements.

    We will help you tweak.
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Bombay table is too deep and not wide enough under ship.
  • 12 years ago
    I should have noticed the sofa table. It's perfect for the spot where the Bombay chest is. I'd definitely put it back over there. Much, much better to have something as wide or wider than the wall decorations. Maybe a floor lamp is the best option for the awesome wing chair - I love that chair.
  • 12 years ago
    I'm in the minority, but I think the clock is OK above the fireplace. I think it's hung a bit low though.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Sweet room. Beautiful chair. Don't like the lamp. Consider a larger one that hangs above the chair.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Would love to see the fp marble embraced in small touches. Pillow in chair next yo fp instead of stock pillow.

    You biggest enemy in the room right now
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Now is the clock.
  • 12 years ago
    Lol..! .. I would like to see the marble disappear myself and replace it with sone...
  • 12 years ago
    move the sofa by the stairs to open up your windows, and then the chairs @ the windows
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Rawni----I see that you like more earth tones. So, I understand about the fireplace. I would suggest you paint at least the marble the same color as the drywall on top.

    I would check with a paint store. I believe you have to use a urethane-based primer and topcoat to seal the paint.

    For a real showpiece, consider painting the surround also.

    [houzz=
    Cottage Chic Family Room · More Info
    [houzz=
    Project in Tiburon · More Info
    ]
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    The sailboat print is a focal point piece. Is it too wide for the fireplace?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Are there no electrical outlets in the floor of the room anywhere?
    If not, is the ceiling of the area underneath the family room finished?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Can you please tell us what the colors are in your furniture. I am having a hard time seeing them. They are fairly neutral, I see.

    Wing-backed chair
    2 matching chairs
    couch
    center ottoman

    Thanks. One very simple, low-cost thing you can do is to remove the pillows that came with the couch and chair and add your own. Need to know colors, though.
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks @ CDR the pillows did come with the couch.. Colors in the room are cream ..light gray,light tan. Yellow ..add pic .Thanks
  • 12 years ago
    Also my wall color is b/m simple pleasure and fp Kingsport gray ..Thanks again .
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    BM Simple Pleasure. What is FP?

    [houzz=
    Simple Pleasures 1097 by Benjamin Moore · More Info

    [houzz=
    Kingsport Gray HC-86 by Benjamin Moore · More Info
    ]
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I would use mostly grays in pillows to pull it all together.

    To start, move the chair pillow to the couch and move one of the dark pillows from the couch to the chair.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I would get 2 gray lumbar pillows for the 2 matching chairs.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    alternate: try floral pillow on wing chair and dark pillows on matching chairs.

    I don't think you need any on the couch. It's already a pillow-back.
  • 12 years ago
    Those are beautiful fabrics and colors! I hope you keep the nice calm theme going with the rug and window coverings:)
  • 12 years ago
    Kingsport gray is the fireplace....
  • 12 years ago
    Wow CDR. Why don't you just tell the OP what you do like.
  • 12 years ago
    It's such a beautiful room. I really don't believe it needs all that 'tweaking' that CDR suggests. Unless you are really unhappy with your room. But since you only asked about a lamp.... :-)
  • 12 years ago
    I agree. If you like what you have, don't feel like what you have is wrong just because a Pro says otherwise. I think you instinctively knew the lamp was off or you wouldn't have asked. The rest is just your own preference where your furniture "belongs" or what color goes with what.
  • 12 years ago
    Sorry, handyman, but I think CDR really knows her stuff. One would (and probably does) pay substantial $$ for her advice and honest recommendations. I think she or he is being quite generous with giving so much advice to RLT and the rest of the community for free.
  • 12 years ago
    I agree with handymam. I was thinking maybe a bigger lamp, or stacked on some books, a iron floor lamp would be pretty to. Your rooms are beautiful! It stinks about the cords, I like the idea of the 2 chairs where the couch is and the couch where the chairs are. Don't hide the bench where the dog sleeps either!
  • 12 years ago
    Sboomer, you are entitled to your opinion, and so am I.
  • 12 years ago
    I think all of CDR's suggestions are spot on right now. I'm not a pro and I don't always agree with CDR but s/he is giving spot on advice to tweak this room to perfect.
  • 12 years ago
    Pro's have a different view on a space than the average person, that's why they are pro's! It is hard on here because you don't know if someone is attached to a piece of furniture, accessory or what not they have in there home. It's awesome that people take the time to give advice professional or not. CDR is giving great advice to this space, I am not an idiot and can recognize that! Wish I could afford to have someone help me with my spaces! Enjoy your beautiful house and those awesome windows!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    My post above edited now to include kingsport grey paint.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Rawni-Lynne, now that I added the Kingsport Grey paint chip to the Simple Pleasure, I see that your colors look great together! Congratulations on coordinating this so well!

    Hope you like some of your new arrangements that you try. If not, you can always move them back.
  • 12 years ago
    Several people have commented that the clock looks crammed into its space and I can see that. I sure wish I could see it centered vertically in that space. I think it might not look crammed that way.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I don't know the size of your space above the mantle, so just showing these for ideas. I think a piece that honored the architectural shape would work better.

    [houzz=
    Dillingham Black Arch Mirror · More Info
    [houzz=
    Uttermost Bacavi Arch Antique Mirror · More Info
    [houzz=
    Cosmopolitan Arched Mirror · More Info
    ]
  • 12 years ago
    Have you tried switching the clock with the art above the wing chair?
  • 12 years ago
    Love the Dillingham black arch mirror..
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    You have good taste Rawni-Lynne. Most expensive one! LOL. It could be the size, though.

    Would you consider something like an arched mirror? If so, what is the size of the drywalled space above your mantle (height and width?)
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Dillingham is 39.4 wide and 78.5 tall
  • 12 years ago
    Area is measuring width 42 - high 91 ...
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Seems like it is $613.80 on almost every site. Not a bad price for the size of the mirror.

    If you like the idea, we can look for other ones.
  • 12 years ago
    I think the Dillingham would be a bit wide for the space anyway. I think you'd want at least 3" of wall space on each side, so maybe 33-36" wide.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Yes, to look good you would want an equal perimeter left on the top and the sides. If you really like the idea of a mirror there, I would suggest

    -propping a mirror up there to see if you like what it reflects
    -get a price for a custom mirror (could be cheaper than buying one.....you never know).
    -look for one that fits the space more evenly (equal space left on both top and bottom)

    or maybe another elongated piece of art or

    ....maybe you love your clock there and want to keep it there.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    If you decide to add stone to bottom....you could do on top also and place nothing there.

    [houzz=
    Maillot Grandview · More Info
    ]
  • 12 years ago
    Omg !!! Love that .
  • 12 years ago
    So many ideas to think about ...
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    With stone on the fireplace, the fireplace becomes a work of art itself. You really don't need anything else.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Try a metal lamp with a metal shade. The current shade takes up too much room, and the dark wood gets lost.
Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio