Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pureguava

Stainless or white fridge?

pureguava
10 years ago
We are needing to replace our 20 year old refrigerator that came with our house. The other appliances in the kitchen are newer and white. As you can see we have white cabinets and light gray countertops. I don't see us replacing the other appliances unless they break, and the only plans I have for the kitchen are to add a backsplash and maybe a few glass doors on the cabinet. Would a stainless fridge look out of place? While I am concerned about resale value (people seem to love SS) I care more about the everyday look. as we will be in our house for the foreseeable future. I would like to get a french door with a bottom freezer. The space is fairly wide and deep, but the cabinet overhead restricts the height to 68" so there are only a few models to choose from. Does anyone have a brand of refrigerator they recommend?

Comments (30)

• tlow21
    10 years ago
    I would go with white. SS is so hard to keep clean.
  • meandbloss
    10 years ago
    I would go stainless in looks nicer and more modern
  • Denita
    10 years ago
    Go with a white French door refrigerator. After all, you are going to be there for the long term. It is better to have the refrigerator you want rather than getting something for an unknown buyer years into the future.
  • pureguava
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks all! I think we might go white with a stainless handle. The white refrigerators these days are smooth like the other appliances- I wanted to avoid the textured look which seems dated.
  • PRO
    Sound Painting Solutions, LLC
    10 years ago
    Stainless is great, but I would stick with the theme you have going. I would say go with white. Your kitchen looks great... changing the fridge out will make a huge difference. Good luck! :).
  • mistypix
    10 years ago
    Go with white. The fridge will be the focal if you do stainless, and I don't think you want it to stand out. I have stainless appliances and HATE them. Don't listen to people who say they are easy to keep clean.
  • PRO
    Cynthia Taylor-Luce
    10 years ago
    Yes, the new white ones are beautiful :)
  • PRO
    SoCal Contractor
    10 years ago
    I'd go with white. You can see how your toaster oven sticks out amongst the white appliances, imagine a huge fridge.
    As for the brand, it really depends on your budget. If you can afford it, go with Sub Zero.
  • PRO
    Nancy Sanford Interiors
    10 years ago
    White - stainless will close in the space
  • pureguava
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks everyone! I'm going to go with white- can anyone recommend a reliable brand? Deciding between Samsung, KitchenAid, Whirlpool and maybe GE. Whirlpool seemed cheaper on inside with drawer pulls etc. I haven't been able to see any of the actual models in a store so will have to order sight unseen.
  • PRO
    Julie Smart Koob, REALTOR
    10 years ago
    I have a GE Profile and really like it. Also French door top with freezer on the bottom.
  • belletriste
    10 years ago
    I had the same decision to make myself and went with white and am glad I did. My daughter used stainless in her all-white kitchen and the look is more choppy. Mine is KitchenAid with freezers on the bottom. However, it has had the freezer repaired several times in the past few years. My trusty repairman, who has been in the business for almost 30 years, says GE is the brand he buys based on repair records and costs.
  • PRO
    Brio Interior Design
    10 years ago
    White, you won't regret it.
  • Dreacorator
    10 years ago
    Different models of each brand have their + & -. I chose a Samsung but the one I have is a bit noisy. And btw, white.
  • januarisun
    10 years ago
    SS would be a nice contrast, and bring out the grey in your countertops.
  • megen20
    10 years ago
    I would go stainless............
  • feeny
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Keep it consistent with the white. Since you have a white glass front stove (we had that model and loved it!) consider looking at a white glass front fridge. Or the Whirlpool white ice line with stainless handles.
  • Amy 2407
    10 years ago
    stainless would
    look better ...too much white makes it look pale
  • Sarah McColm
    10 years ago
    I would rip out that over fridge cabinet and get the fridge as tall as I could. It can't be really valuable storage if you've put a plant in front of it :).
  • saratogaswizzlestick
    10 years ago
    I think your decision for white is a good one. I love how the French door fridges are organized. Wish I had a recommendation. What I would suggest us google problems and the name of the fridge and see what pops up. I love that you have a real plant over your cabinets.
  • carolalons
    10 years ago
    waw
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    My friend was convinced by a sales person to go with Samsung instead of Kitchen Aid and has regretted it. If you can find one made in USA (used to be Whirlpool) buy American, before there is no such thing.
  • PRO
    Joanna Perry Murals
    10 years ago
    as a qualified mural artist and interior designer www.joannaperrymurals.co.uk, I think white or getting a built in unit would look best as s/s can mark and look to modern for a small space. good luck
  • helixg1
    10 years ago
    I agree that white would work best in your kitchen, but I love my brushed stainless. Not a problem to clean.
  • belletriste
    10 years ago
    Here's a nice photo of a kitchen around your size done with all stainless. I agree there's much to love about stainless. However, IMHO the main idea is consistency so as to give a much-used and almost always crowded space a sense of calm or Zen-like congruency. Here's a white kitchen using stainless appliances to good advantage: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/are-the-sides-of-fridge-black-or-stainless-dsvw-vd~167102
  • cindyguent
    10 years ago
    On my second GE profile with bottom freezer in 13years. Newest one has been made more cheaply than the first, with drawers having cracking problems (two broke). Both have had problems with maintaining proper temp. Everything I put on top shelf or bottom drawers freezes, in the refrigerator! My last one did that eventually, why I bought another is beyond me. Would not recommend. First one was repaired to the tune of $400 before I got rid of it. It's just my husband and me so it's not abused by constant opening and closing. Btw, mine have been stainless but I think white for you.
  • rocketjcat
    10 years ago
    I would definitely go white in your kitchen, and like the idea posted earlier of removing the upper cabinet if needed to give you more options in your search. Don't sub- optimize a fridge that you will use daily for one cabinet that appears to be dead storage. I also would recommend looking at the Profiles or counter depth fridges. They give you more floor space and it wouldn't seem to over power your cabinets like the current one does. They give a much nicer look. Good luck. Appliance shopping can be a crap shoot, knowing that these expensive purchases are not built to last anymore.
  • Laura Mac
    5 years ago

Stainless would look good since. your counters are gray. Be careful of white right next to your white stove. The die-lots will not match and would look....bad. Or get a refrigerator that matches the brand of the stove if you want white.

There are other threads you might find feedback as far as brand.

Good luck!

• Rita S
    5 years ago
    I recommend you go with stainless fridge since your countertop is greyish. It will look nicer than white. Just keep in mind that you need to clean it more often and you need to avoid touching its doors with dirty or greasy hands.
Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES