Software
Houzz Logo Print
inbox

Need help choosing backsplash tile

12 years ago
We are renovating our kitchen with off white cabinetry that has brown edging around the panels. I wish that I could do white subway tiles. But since that doesn't match what can I use to keep the backsplash looking light? Thank you for any comments!

Comments (16)

  • 12 years ago
    A subway tile the color of the brown edging could be nice too, but yes, knowing the counter and floor materials is necessary for good suggestions.
    Jen C thanked Ann
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    P.S. Subway Ceramics carries traditional ceramic subway tile (the kind appropriate for renovating and repairing historic houses) in White, off-white (Avalon white) and Bone (as well as some interesting colors). We used their "Bone" subway tile in our ivory kitchen because it matched the cabinets perfectly. But I'm sure every tile company these days carries many shades of white and off white subway tiles, so there should be plenty to choose from and you can get samples to hold up next to the cabinets. And it can be nice to choose a shade of tile that comes out of your countertop color(s) too.
    Jen C thanked feeny
  • 12 years ago
    Sorry I didn't think to attach more pictures! We are probably going to go with a light Caesarstone on the surrounding counters like Dreamy Marfil and a dark granite on the island like Imperial Coffee or Brown Antique. The hardware is in a Venetian Bronze finish. We haven't decided on the floor yet but are leaning towards porcelain tile in a brown color. To be honest, I haven't looked at the colors that subway tiles come in. I've only searched Houzz pics endlessly and have loved the white kitchens with white subway tiles. When I looked at kitchens with off white cabinets like mine, they have beige/brown stone tiles, which is not what I want. I look forward to looking at more subway tiles!
  • 12 years ago
    I would go long glass tiles, in the gold/browns, with some black.
    Jen C thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • 12 years ago
    Interesting, I never thought of glass. I will search for pics of it. Thank you!
  • 12 years ago
    Oh, very pretty choices!!! I do think I'd consider a simple brown glass tile backsplash.
    [houzz=
    Aldine Avenue · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Incredibly Green Home of Chevy Chase · More Info
    ]
    Jen C thanked Ann
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks, Ann. These do look very pretty. You don't think the glass looks too modern with the traditional style of door?
  • 12 years ago
    No, I think it would be beautiful!
    Jen C thanked Ann
  • 12 years ago
    This is too funny. A friend of mine just had her kitchen done by All star woodworking & the cabinets are linen white and the backsplash is a beige subway tile,. Here are some picture. It looks beautiful in person.
    Jen C thanked joancuneo
  • 12 years ago
    Ooh this looks so pretty! Thank you so much for sharing the pics. Just curious, do you know what she used for counter tops?
  • 12 years ago
    Feeny, I got an email with your new comment, but I am unable to see it here :(
    I am going to keep trying to view it but in the meantime, thank you!
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I'm not sure why it disappeared--some glitch. Basically I was just confirming what others had said about glass or stone or ceramic subway-shaped tile all looking good with traditional cabinetry and saying that either matching the tile to the cabinets or pulling a darker (but not too dark) color out of your countertop to use for the backsplash would look lovely. But if you want to stick to your original vision of using tile that matches the cabinetry, that can give a nice, neutral look too. That's what we chose for our ivory kitchen because our house is from 1929 and we wanted the kitchen to go with other vintage features and have a very simple, streamlined style:
    Our kitchen renovation · More Info
    Jen C thanked feeny
  • 12 years ago
    I love your kitchen and the subway tiles you used look perfect with everything. They are also very clean for being behind the stove which is impressive. Is there a secret to that?
  • 12 years ago
    No secret that I know of. I'm not sure why other people seem to get a lot of splashing on their back splashes and I rarely do. I tend to cook stews and other messy things in big pots that need stirring on the front burners, just for convenience, which means that all the splashes get on the stovetop, not the backsplash. At least that is the only thing I can think of. But the glossy ceramic subway tiles take two seconds to wipe off, so even if I splashed up a storm it would come right off.
    Jen C thanked feeny
  • 12 years ago
    Okay thank you. I like the glossy.