Software
Houzz Logo Print
colodiva

Help! Blah living room

12 years ago
The windows need something, draperies or 6" barn wood type trim on top of the windows? I hate the faux white wood blinds. The sofa is getting reupholstered, just don't know if I should do a print or solid. I also need two chairs, the rest of the furniture could stay or go. The rest of the house is somewhat rustic/southwestern with all the wood, Spanish tile and exposed beams. Unfortunately no beams in this room, (living/dining). Help please, I'm open.

Comments (23)

  • 12 years ago
    Another angle showing the front door.
  • 12 years ago
    Not sure of the direction you want to go with the room - I think you need to add chairs in order to make this a seating area. I would remove the coffee table and two lighter colored tables and go with a smaller coffee table. There isn't much color or pattern in the room. Are you thinking of changing the rug? If so, I would use that as a base for what else you want in the room. I would add curtains and would also change the white blinds.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Is the picture of the horse staying? If so, why not pull out a color from the picture for the drapery. You could also find a patterned fabric that will compliment the top if your table under the picture. You could add some accents of coral to bring in the rustic vibe from the rest of the house. Blue green and coral are opposite on the color wheel and are complimentary . You Also could use some floor pillows and sofa pillows to liven up your space. The curtain length should start at the halfway point between your ceiling and the top of your window to maximize the height of the room. I would use 2"wood curtain rods.
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks for the input, I like the wall color and I'm open to pattern/color in the rug or sofa or draperies. I'd like to stay with a rustic or southwestern look. How much pattern should I add?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I like your rug but you have too much brown. Don't buy any more brown items. I would love to see a rug with some cream/aqua and maybe a bit of green and brown. If you get your sofa done, stay solid with texture. Resist the faux suede! Get some texture and a woven upholstery fabric with different colors of threads but still reads as a solid. You can switch out the pillows when you get bored. It's a small room. Would love to see the sofa pushed back so it's not in front of the table but have a feeling the sofa will be in the way and hard to walk around. There does not seem to be a tv in this room, right? Can you flip the sofa to the window wall?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Sorry, I was typing when your note came through.
  • 12 years ago
    I like the idea of turquoise that Stacey noted. Perhaps something like a dark solid turquoise rug more green than blue, I would keep the colors muted. And perhaps a muted coral color for your chairs or couch. I would pull a muted coral for the drapes perhaps in a pattern with a beige. Add patterned pillows. Other options for possible rug patterns would be a kilim style rug. I'd change your coffee table to a smaller square open legged wood in a darker finish.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I found these rugs on overstock.com
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    So, if you find the rug first, pull out a color for the drapery and two colors for the pillows . Striped fabric would work well for pillows or an added stripe to the drapery panels.
  • 12 years ago
    I love both those rugs and I'm a sucker for turquoise and coral. I don't know why I don't have it in my decor more. There isn't a tv in there, so I can move the sofa up against the windows. Right now the sofa is about 8' from the dining table. So scraping the blinds, adding draperies, should I do a sheer behind them or a diff wood blind or roll up?
  • 12 years ago
    Agreed on the brown, the stair railing is going to eventually change to a wrought iron one.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I don,t mind the blinds. I think the will disappear once you get drapery up. So, hold off on that unless you hate them. I think you should look at ikat fabric.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I saw these panels. The green blue is the rug i like...that is called ikat ...that will head toward south west style.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Found these fabrics at www.buyfabrics.com. Great pricing! What are your thoughts on these fabrics?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    If you choose a bright and fun fabric, you could go to a local rug store and purchase a remnant for your rug. They can bind it for you. Spread the colors from the fabric around the room and wa-lah...you have a great room!
  • 12 years ago
    You absolutely must add chairs, two in front of the windows across from the sofa. Or you could flip it--sofa under the windows, chairs across facing the sofa. A sofa facing a blank wall looks a little silly, honestly.

    Keep the sofa solid--texture, but no pattern. Bring pattern into throw pillows and curtains if you like. Please lower the painting over the console. It should be around 5" above the top.
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks Stacey, I really like the last two. What a doll, thanks for finding those. I will post pics as I make changes!
  • 12 years ago
    You've got a lot going on in this room. i'd keep it pretty simple with burlap curtains, a more substantial table lamp with less harsh light, plain colored chairs, and simple pillows.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Loved Stacey's suggestions, she had some great ideas!
  • 12 years ago
    Here's a rug option with a Southwestern rustic feel. Just wanted to add - I would consider changing out the letter art in the dining room for other art that adds more, given the size of the room. A great table runner would add something to the dining room as well.
    Flat Weave Tribal Pattern Multi Color Hemp/Jute Handmade Rug - BD05, 4x6 · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    سلام .خیلی عالی
  • 12 years ago
    Not sure about the value in redoing the couch. That would be a very expensive proposition--and for the money, you could buy something brand new. Notice how the arms go up high on the couch you have now? Buy something with much lower arms--lightens up the piece and provides usable armrests. Macys.com has some very interesting, affordable sofas with a range of arm styles. You will also be able to introduce side tables that can actually be accessed by the people at the ends of the couch. If you go with a neutral sofa, you can then choose a brighter rug, and from there, pull a color that will inform the drapes and one or two accent pillows. Back up the couch so it sits in front of the windows and faces into the room. Introduce essential pieces first, then use restraint to add accessories that coordinate with the drapery, the rug, and the sofa.