Software
Houzz Logo Print
brad_eck

Bleach reservoir not accessible - options?

12 years ago
Similar to these designs, I have a washer and dryer being installed in cabinets. With the design of today's washers, I can't figure out how to have enough space for the cab doors to close properly but still allow for the soap drawer to be pulled out sufficiently to put in the bleach. In other words, because of the design of the washer, the drawer is set back from the front plane by a couple inches at least - and pulling it out to its full extent only allows for soap to be dispensed from above - the bleach area is still covered by the counter. Help?
Hawaiian Designs · More Info

Comments (8)

  • PRO
    12 years ago
    It may be the brand of the washer and dryer you are using. The ones in the photo are Bosch 24" wide washer and dryer. They are a bit smaller than some and not as deep.
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks - I figured. We have a smaller set upstairs that probably wouldn't have the issue, but it seems any modern full size washer has the tray in the upper left and will have this problem. Wondering if anyone has seen a full size washer that would be a better option.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I've only done this design with smaller units in condos. I do not know of a brand off hand that would work but will keep my eyes open for one. I'll let you know if I find one.
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks! here's the current design - trying to figure out how to deal with this problem now... http://www.ikeafans.com/forums/blogs/bradeckx/peninsula-design-2671/
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I see why you have a problem with the bleach. The way this is being built is in a cabinet. How would you ever be able to pull out the washer and dryer for servicing? Notice in my design that there are only panels on each side of the washer and dryer with pocket doors that open up and fold back. You need airflow for the dryer when it runs and should have the doors open.
  • 12 years ago
    A cross bar is needed to ensure that the cabs are square. Unfortunately, because I am attempting to make a custom cab out of a standard cab, I had to improvise. I needed to pull the cab forward to prep for the doors (will be bifold) but that left no place for the cross bar in the back. So I modified the cross bar to be removable. When I need to service the W&D I will pull it out, then pull the W&D out. And yes, doors will be open during use - although I may put a vent cover in the plenum to provide the airflow. But, all theat said, because of the washer design, the door is actual about 1cm from the cab doors. When you pull out the tray for soap, you can access the soap area but not bleach. We took a trip to Lowes today and every single large capacity washer was designed this way (within an inch or so of the same problem).
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    BTW, I like your panel and sliding doors. But with a standard W&D you would still have the same issue. Just can't seem to get past today's washer designs.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Sorry to hear that. Good luck with the bleach.