Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeannie_nguyen

What's your favorite design style?

Jeannie Nguyen
10 years ago
What style do you find yourself liking most? I personally love the beach style. I am a California girl, after all. :)

Tell us what your favorite style is and post a photo of your favorite look!

Kiawah Beach House for GDC · More Info

Comments (54)

• moggie73
    10 years ago
    I love every style, my only rule is that it must feel inviting and reveal something about the homeowner.
    Quite often, I find people go for a "look", rather than a "feel".
  • Nancy
    10 years ago
    Arts and Crafts
  • User
    10 years ago
    My "client" is my husband and he likes medieval.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Moggie, women might go for a look. Men go for a feel.
  • PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Contemporary style, incorporating gray, white, off black colors at the same time adding to the mix a slight touch of natural and rugged feel to it and perhaps throwing in a slight touch of rustic to the mix and off-set it all. You been seeing allot more metal tones and lacquer being added to the design, etc. and that is definitely the thing of the present and the future...
    I see it more and more of it all over the place and it seems that Homeowners are willing to take more chances and get a little more creative to create that WOW look, compare sticking to Traditional trend, which was and will remain to be a safe choice in any decorating project.
  • T B
    10 years ago
    I love industrial design - the Restoration Hardware look. It is so clean yet interesting. I feel I can be creative with it as well.
  • Vera Kitchen
    10 years ago
    Industrial-Cottage. Not sure if that is a style, but that is what I like....
  • hanna1984
    10 years ago
    I started out going for contemporary, saw that I was headed eclectic - which was ok, I reasoned - but somehow ended up shabby ........ without the chic. But it's still a work in progress. :)
  • PRO
    Sharon Charboneau, RESA Pro, Interior Stylist
    10 years ago
    Eclectic! hate being tied to one particular style - like to mix things up.
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    10 years ago
    Yes chook that's true for me. My style is what actually works. Sharon said it for me
  • Rosanne
    10 years ago
    Comfortable
  • Rosanne
    10 years ago
    and dog friendly ;)
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    10 years ago
    :) We take care of stray cats. Not any stray dogs in our area. Thence and therefore and etc needs to be cat friendly. But dogs i like the best.
  • soozmacrae
    10 years ago
    Bling! with black and grey.
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    10 years ago
    Is Bling the name of your extended family member
  • alexandrelacaze
    10 years ago
    Parabéns..Sensacional
  • Another Thyme
    10 years ago
    I find myself longing for a look that says "home". After years of living in a gorgeous rustic style home with an upscale condo feel I want to feel at home. For me that means a return to our roots as shown in these photos. (If I had to give a name to this comfortable style I would call it English Country - not the American version, but the English countryside that my family came from.) These photos are from a magazine I subscribed to when I started to long for a change, And btw, we have put our rustic style home up for sale...it could never be renovated into what we want now.
  • Sára Varga
    10 years ago
    Eclectic is my fav!
  • soozmacrae
    10 years ago
    lol, no just my style.
  • onthecoast1
    10 years ago
    Can traditional have contemporary elements to it? I love traditional but also love gray walls and black accent pieces. In my 20's and 30's, I was heavy on the coastal theme with whitewashed woods and light colors. Still like it but wanted a change in my 40's.
  • casualbythesea
    10 years ago
    I love the sofas! Where are they from?
  • Christo Mitov
    10 years ago
    Hey Jeannie! My personal favorite is undoubtedly the Dutch minimalist style. It combines clean and utilitarian functionality with clear shapes and sometimes antique objects as a contrast.
  • PRO
    Keni Jovel
    10 years ago
    I love contemporary and modern style
  • Linda Ouellette
    10 years ago
    I like tradional with a hint of Tuscany..
  • Tami Tinajero
    10 years ago
    I love cozy traditional rooms w/out clutter. I like most styles minus mid century & modern.. Mid century & modern always appear cold, the lines are too stiff and the furniture always is so uncomfortable. I gravitate to warm, cozy rooms =)
  • PRO
    nls creations, inc.
    10 years ago
    Eclectic is a great challenge and a great result if done properly. It affords enormous creativity and individuality, not just a cookie cutter look of one style. I once did a home for a realtor that had cream colored contemporary furniture with accents of taupe and black. I felt it needed a punch so I put in a french bench that was done in silver leaf and upholstered it black patent leather. It was a show stopper. In the same home I used a transitional dining room table with tufted chairs in cream, a traditional glass chandelier, and painted one of the walls black lacquer that made a home for black Matisse drawings on white ground. Another show stopper. Lots of fun to think outside the box!!!
  • hayleydaniels
    10 years ago
    I love a more rustic look, but my house is very eclectic as if I like it and think it looks good, it stays unless my husband disagrees. Fortunately we agree on our taste in our house. I also like color, and am in the process of adding more color to my house now that my husband has relented in the 'everything has to be white' that we lived with for 20 years.
  • acroteria
    10 years ago
    Pre-WWII "contemporary" (ie. Bernhardt), Folk/Amish (ie. Henry Lapp), Queen Anne upholstered pcs. (w/ elaborately carved wood details).
  • yvonnecmartin
    10 years ago
    Scandinavian modern--sleek lines, teak wood, bold graphic designs in accents.
    10 years ago
    my style (not actually my room - but I wish it was!)
  • PRO
    Rugsville
    10 years ago
    I love contemporary style-
    Transitional Rug · More Info
  • PRO
    citrusquilts
    10 years ago
    eclectic, with white walls, with lots of art and quilts
  • Alice Costa-Sievert
    10 years ago
    I like so many styles and mixing different styles is a lot of fun. I guess you could say eclectic because I enjoy mixing modern with rustic, traditional, transitional, bohemian, etc. etc :)
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    10 years ago
    Coastal style is fun. What I love the most about this particular style is the fact that it is informal and casual. It also brings along a beautiful palette of colors that spell out relaxation, merriment, cheerfulness along with calmness, peace and solace.
    For me the coastal style brings along with it a lot of positivity and gaiety.

http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/19507845/thumbs/The-Many-Faces-of-Coastal-Style

Simran Chhibber, on behalf of Thosbaker.com
  • Joy
    10 years ago
    The older I get :-) the more I like everything! If the area is well designed ( meaning it is pleasing to the eye and functions well ) I probably will like it.
  • anaisabeltravassos
    10 years ago
    This kind of design!!! Collorfull, tender and shining...
    This foto belongs to a wonderful designer: Ana Antunes
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    10 years ago
    Always been torn between mountains and ocean. If I had to choose, it would probably be the look and feel of coastal cottage -- light, breezy and refreshing. But the deep, rich, rustic feel of the rugged Pacific Northwest style runs deep in my heart.

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
  • PRO
    deiman
    10 years ago
    Anything beautyful but please no single retro furniture or shabby chic
  • dooenmabest
    10 years ago
    Simple and fresh with a dash of colour and garden views. It's mine and I'm happy with it.
  • pepperstark
    10 years ago
    Contemporary and modern.
  • PRO
    Hyde Evans Design
    10 years ago
    I love every style. I help my client discover their own style and then I love helping them develop it.
  • hasinajiwani
    10 years ago
    I am fickle but I always go back to loving art deco, I am drawn to the symmetry, the angles, the curves and the artistry required to craft natural raw materials into perfectly finished objects and furniture. Ofcourse I also like the glamor it invokes, but I always choose to I live in comfortable, eclectic and rather masculine homes. Go figure!
  • knightfamily666
    10 years ago
    I love colour that is pretty
  • despinach
    10 years ago
    I love eclectic!!
    Stacy Weiss: Shadyside, Pennsylvania · More Info
  • PRO
    Budget Fence and Patio
    10 years ago
    I can go with any style but the thing matters to me are that it should have appealing look and reveal something about the homeowner. However, if you ask me to name one of your favorite then I would say Contemporary style.
  • Lynda
    10 years ago
    Definitely modern - with pops of bold color (think aqua, orange, or lime) to brighten it and keep it from looking sterile.

One exception is that, if I were single, I would do my bedroom in 1930s inspired Hollywood glamour - mirrored furniture, silks, etc. but husband won't go for it because he finds the look too feminine.
  • meora
    10 years ago
    Rustic, cottage, transitional!
  • User
    9 years ago
    Rustic modern
  • PRO
    Frontier Basement Systems
    6 years ago

I love simple, cottage &/or country.

• PRO
    Esmaili Rugs and Antiques, Inc.
    6 years ago

I love Julia Buckingham's style "Modernique". With her roots in fashion and antiques, interior designer Julia Buckingham defines her style as “modernique.” I love it, but it's not for everyone :) 1stdibs article | Photography credit: Werner Straube