Software
Houzz Logo Print
lnuzzol

14 years ago
I have a free space (old storage room) that I want to convert to a bathroom with an extra large 72" x 42" soaker tub. The tub alone will fit the width of the room on the far end with two feet to spare. The room size is 8' x 14'. So my remaining space to work with is 8' x 10". I also have a connected space (old one car garage) 14' x 19' that I want to convert. This area will have a huge closet, a laundry room, and then keep whatever extra space for a sitting area.
I need help designing, and to be able to make the most of the space that I have.
I want a white bathroom, accented with something to make it luxurious, calming and relaxing with plank paneling on the walls. I want to try to fit a spacious shower in here too. A gas wall insert fire place is also looking inviting. Granite would be nice, but laminate is more affordable.

Is there a professional willing to help me engineer my project? I can afford the materials but my "do it yourself" husband no longer can attempt such a large project. I cannot afford a contractor. But we both are willing to help with the simple labor where we can.

Comments (4)

  • 14 years ago
    Rather than having gas fireplaces, sitting rooms, extra large tubs with separate showers, massive closets, etc - Why not scale down your plans so that you can afford to have the project properly designed and accomplished by skilled professionals?
  • 14 years ago
    Thanks for you input. I don't just want four walls built. I've already purchased the tub. This is my center point. This will be my get-a-way from the stress in my life. (if you only knew what I've dealt with in the past 5 years.. and unfortunately, what we continue to face)

    I've teetered on whether I should have the separate shower. But where do you ever see a shower in combination with a garden tub or soaker tub. You don't because it would be unattractive when adding a shower curtain/walls, plus it wouldn't be practical to have this area to clean after each shower from water and soap overspray. It would destroy the investment and the appearance. Both of these things are important. I'm just not interested in low grade renovation that I won't be happy with.

    The fireplace is definately an extra that I can live without. The other areas are the basic, practical necessities for the home, adding to the value of my home. These changes involve walls being built, nothing lavish about that. There is not much to scale down. But the area to be renovated is at ground level, on a cement slab. To make this all work correctly per building code, the floor would need to be raised level with the rest of the house, as well as closing in the garage door, replacing it with a window, and adding a walk in door. This is where all the labor costs come in. In addition to electrical and plumbing.

    So other than my soaker tub, any lavish furnishings and high priced upgrades, such as granites and tiles will just have to wait. I've purchased the windows and doors from a family member who got the items at his cost.

    I accept that this will take my time to do it correctly and make it affordable, even if I have to get it done in steps. But I cannot start without the framing work. This is not something I can do myself and where I need the engineering/planning help to even get started.
  • 14 years ago
    We are currently tearing out a whirlpool tub the size you list because we rarely used it; when we did use it, we noticed we got really cold due to drafts. Without a glass wall or a shower curtain to enclose the tub, it was cold all winter long, no matter how much we jacked up the heat. So take draft control into consideration when you design your tub. And since you have to raise the floor, this would be a great opportunity to build a curbless shower for ADA access, perhaps using a linear drain. Good luck on this ambitious project!
  • 14 years ago
    Thank you for that info. I'm worried about it being too steamy, as well, with being a small area. But I have seen those set ups that have the glass panel and the shower in front of the tub. I thought the overspray would make the tub just something else to have to wipe down though. Decisions, decisions!