Software
Houzz Logo Print
melviehg

What color on walls with this fireplace?

12 years ago
What color should I use in the great room on the wall with this brick fireplace? I was going to use SW Foothills, but don't know if that would work now. To the left will be the entertainment cabinet (was going to do in white). White trim in the house.

Comments (28)

  • 12 years ago
    I would personally go with a burnt orange to bring out the color in the tile.
  • 12 years ago
    yes rusty orange would be nice
  • 12 years ago
    You can also go a some sort of grey or a white with a hint of grey in it.. just depends on what your 'theme' is country living etc orange is nice but may go out of date if its the wrong tone..
  • 12 years ago
    I like the dark greeny gray in the brick. With white wood I think it would look good.
  • 12 years ago
    For example.. just don't know whether the brick will suit??
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    If you want to bring out the darker greenish bricks, then you could go with Benjamin Moore's Revere Pewter, which is gray with green hues (left photos). If you want to go more neutral and keep with the orange/brown family of colors, then you might consider Benjamin Moore's Abalone, which is a gray with brown hues (right photos).

    Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
  • 12 years ago
    I would paint it the lightest colour in the brick (can't really see it the pic is too small) accent with the darker colour in the brick - stay away from the mid tones the burnt oranges and deep saturated colours
  • 12 years ago
    Because you need a contrast. But I guess it also depends on the stain of your floor if it's light then you can go darker on the walls
  • 12 years ago
    If wanting to go warmer, BM Elmira White is a great all purpose color.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    you could do this
    Kitchen Addition Entertainment · More Info

    Satchel AF-240 by Benjamin Moore · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    I think SW Foothills falls into the greige family, which might work well for your space. You could sprinkle the rusty color around as your accent. Here's an ideabook... https://www.houzz.com/magazine/going-greige-tips-for-choosing-this-all-around-neutral-stsetivw-vs~577375
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Do you like the brick? Do you like the color of the brick? Do you want this fireplace to be the focal point in the room or do you want to deemphasize its impact on the room? These are all questions that will impact the color you choose. Light colors on the wall will make the fireplace a focal point. Darker colors in the same shades as the brick will make it blend in. Don't forget, you can paint the brick too if you are not happy with the color of it. There are other things to consider as well so if you want to know more I would be happy to help.
  • 12 years ago
    My idea was to use the darker paint as I had chosen and blend the fireplace into it
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Here is some more information: wanting a farmhouse look. The kitchen is next to the great room (open concept) and I was going to do it in BM Hawthorne Yellow with white cabinets. It has an island that would be a country red color (don't know what yet, I collect Coca Cola so wanted a vintage coca cola red for that). Then the great room I had picked SW Foothills. It looked good with the yellow. Then we got the fireplace bricked. They probably used too many of the orange colors, but I do like it and don't want to paint it. I don't want it to stand out too much.
  • 12 years ago
    With your yellow and white kitchen, I think BM's Wedgewood Gray would be beautiful - especially if you're planning on trim/mantel for the fireplace in white.
    It's The Little Things That Make A House A Home · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    Cypress Green is one color that BM recommends to pair with Hawthorne Yellow. I think it would work on your fireplace wall. Hot Apple spice is a great red to go with your coca cola collection. It is softer red and will let the coke red take center stage.
  • 12 years ago
    Blue and brown tones go really well together. Just painted my kitchen a medium blue (it was a very pale mint green) the blue really made it feel warmer with the dark brown cabinets
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Nothing like seeing the color on your walls. What color would you like?
  • 12 years ago
    That's cool! How about SW Foothills, BM Cypress Green, BM Wedgewood Grey
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Okay, the additional information helps. "Farmhouse" and vintage coke red makes me think of old, well-worn surfaces. You also mentioned that there may be a bit more orange in the brick surround than you had anticipated so I think you might be pleased with the aged look of a lime wash on the brick. It is different than painting the brick because it is more subtle, it is easy to do when seeking an aged look, and it can be sanded off later on if a change is desired. You can go as heavy or little as you want. This will also allow you to go either warm or cool with the color tone of the wall. Your options open up when you neutralize the orange in the brick. It will still be the focal point but it will compliment your kitchen rather than compete with it. This is just one example of how we used it.
  • 12 years ago
    I like the idea of the lime wash on the brick. Thanks!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Both your colors. cypress gray / Wedgwood gray
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks for showing me those colors with the brick!
  • 12 years ago
    About trying one more ?
    Satchel AF-240 by Benjamin Moore · More Info
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    www.ebtdesigns.com . Satchel
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Thank you I like it very much ,now pick the beige out and decorate.
    Poppies De Bleu Floral Art Set of 2 · More Info

    Traditional Sofas · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    Everything Beautiful Home Designs, can you show me the pic with SW Foothills?