Software
Houzz Logo Print
dlillwitz

What should I put on this shelf?

12 years ago
My husband put this shelf over our sliding glass doors that go into our yard from the kitchen. Not sure what to put on it. I don't want to junk it up with random stuff. I've added some photos of the kitchen and a photo of the curtain over the sink

Comments (34)

  • 12 years ago
    You know what would be awesome there? Ask family members and guests to donate talking point objects. i.e. College football helmet, hockey skates from first competition, flowers from a music event, etc. it could be the most awesome shelf ever.
  • 12 years ago
    What about a plate/platter collection that has patterns that relate to the colors and patterns in your roman blinds?

    Perhaps an oval platter in the center and plates on the sides...
  • 12 years ago
    is this a duplicate post? Then I'll ask another question. Why did husband put the shelf there in the first place? Why don't you ask him?
  • 12 years ago
    I would take black and white photos, all framed in the same black frames (same size too), and lean them against the wall rather than using their easels. Space them about 4 inches apart.

    P.Parker
    Veronica Fox Interior Embellishments
  • 12 years ago
    I also have comments on other comments.
    The idea of paraphernalia, sports objects, etc. would be terribly tacky looking in my opinion. That type of display belongs on a bookcase in another room and not on that shelf!!!!!
    As for the question of why your husband put it there, I will say that putting a shelf above a long glass area-window or sliding doors is a nice way to embellish the space and to place something that adds interest to the decor. I say kudos to your hubby for his creativity and vision!
  • 12 years ago
    Maybe something like what I did above my cabinets? I used framed photos and scrap book paper.
    [houzz=
    Frames in kitchen.JPG · More Info
    ]
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks for all the great ideas. I will post a photo when I get it finished!!!
  • 12 years ago
    Duplicate post. Other comments and ideas can be found on this one. https://www.houzz.com/discussions/what-should-i-put-on-this-shelf-dsvw-vd~891240
  • 12 years ago
    Take it down. Putting stuff on the shelf clutters up the room and it's dangerous to have things above door.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Heavy... colorful glass bottles or ceramics in your color scheme. Just a collection in a vignette of maybe 5-7 items in various proportions. You can find some really interesting and inexpensive items for this at many thrift stores or Homegoods. Just make sure they are secure for slamming doors, maybe add sticky tack on the bottom edge of each piece when final arrangement is decoded on. Hope this helps!
  • 12 years ago
    I think it makes your door look squatty and would suggest moving to to the family room,perhaps over the passthrough window, if you like it up high out of the way and only for decoration. Or maybe under the pass through window in the kitchen to hold some cookbooks where it could be functional. I would make another pretty roman shade to match the one you made in the kitchen window for over the patio door. This is a duplicate post. Other ideas are posted on your other post.
  • 12 years ago
    Fake silk plants.
  • 12 years ago
    Love your curtain. Definitely need to pick up a couple of those colors in some objects on the shelf. I found some interesting and fairly inexpensive painted glass plates and bottles on Etsy, or if you are more crafty than I am, you can probably make similar items yourself. Items like that would be fitting on a shelf that is in a kitchen. Homegoods and Pier One might have some interesting things, or look for local shops that are artisan co-ops (or Etsy) Keep the scale of the items appropriate for that space, too many/too small will look like clutter, but a couple of unique and interesting pieces that suit your style will look great.
  • 12 years ago
    @14th street, love your backsplash. I would like something similar for my fireplace surround. Could you please share what it is and where you got it? Thanks!
  • 12 years ago
    Goodness gracious, NO FAKE SILK PLANTS! Will someone please nuke them off the planet forever?
  • 12 years ago
    To Rocketjcat - We bought the back splash at either Home Depot or Menards. It is just a plain white shiny tile. I believe they had it at most of the big box hardware stores and we bought the little brown squares there as well as the rope edge. Put it up about 5 years ago so not sure if they will till have it.
  • 12 years ago
    @rocketjcat - sorry I didn't catch your question here. :) Glad you contacted me otherwise. We used a similar tile in a square 2x2 shape for the surround on our downstairs fireplace and it turned out nice also.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I would put three vases in a group, varied heights, colors and shapes on the left about 16" from the edge. At the right of center some book boxes, or small trunks or wood branches.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    You should CLOSE ONE OF THE POSTS.
  • 12 years ago
    Big, colorful, jolting cookie jars. End to end.
  • 12 years ago
    A colorful clock
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Silk plants can be a welcome addition to bring in nature. There some beautiful ones used in the right way for those who do not have a green thumb. I don't have as much of a problem with them as many on houzz seem to have. Guess I'm in the minority.
    Nearly Natural Triple Mini Phalenopsis Silk Orchid Arrangement in Pink · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Sorry! but I don't think that putting anything like vases up on the shelf is wise ,when the door is sliding vibration would cause the vases or anything else to move gradually and eventually fall on the floor or on someone's head unless there was a little railing added to the front of it .
  • 12 years ago
    How about some abstract art? Lemme know what you think;)
  • 12 years ago
    Sure Margo :) but a small ledge to hold it
  • 12 years ago
    Genevieve- LOL- it is a joke;))
  • 12 years ago
    I can feel it Margo LOL but here is a nice one just in case . I still think that the hubby should add a little strip on front of it .
    American Eagle Rustic Lodge Water Color Wall Art, Unframed · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    Baskets that coordinate with your beautiful window covering .
  • 12 years ago
    Take the shelve down. Falling object hazard
  • 11 years ago

    Take it down. Less is more.


  • 11 years ago
    All I can see is a place to collect dust that's hard to access! Not my taste.
  • 11 years ago
    I like the fabric that you have on the window, so I was thinking on lining 3_4 baskets with that same fabric and use the baskets for extra storage.