Software
Houzz Logo Print
angiiniowa

Should I a paint my woodwork?

12 years ago
We have a TON of oak woodwork, windows, and trim. We have updated a lot of this house and I loved it when we moved in 3 years ago but now I just think it looks dated. All I see is white woodwork on decorating sites and websites. I'm just so confused.

Comments (65)

  • 12 years ago
    I'm normally not a fan of oak, but yours is stunning. And don't you dare do anything to the brick on that fireplace. That whole wall just rocks.

    Three little things I would do: Lose the plant on the top shelf on the left (it looks fake), lower the clock about 6-8", raise the curtains to the point where the window begins its curve.
    Angi Hartman thanked groveraxle
  • 12 years ago
    I would leave the woodwork as it is, but paint the walls bright white. Now the woodwork is fading away, and that;s a shame...To my opinion, wood looks gorgeous in a white surrounding! It brings warmth and style to the room. You can add some color with decoration items such as pillows, candles...
    Angi Hartman thanked krootje
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    The woodwork is beautiful and that brickwork awesome! If the wall is too monochrome or you want an update, cover the wood behind the shelving with some removable wallpaper. Changing the wall color would also be a fresh change and keep the room from being too monochrome. More wood on the floor may take you away from where you're trying to go. Last but not least, don't worry about the trends you see today, go with what you love and what works in your home. Beautiful craftsmanship never goes out of style.
    Angi Hartman thanked Mindy Fox Design
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Your woodwork and bricks are absolutely beautiful and timeless.(Agree with designmyroom) I am searching for the same answer for my kitchen, so here are some color combinations for you.I found this on houzz https://www.houzz.com/photos/kitchen-remodel-traditional-kitchen-houston-phvw-vp~279603
  • 12 years ago
    Don't paint such gorgeous wood simply because it's trendy to do so. Trends fade, but this wood is timeless.
  • 12 years ago
    Here is another color combination to consider for your wall. Again the photos I have posted are for color combinations, and I am not endorsing painting wood for you. Sweet.
    True Residence · More Info
    Angi Hartman thanked sweettwist
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I agree with the poster above who said that the wall paint needs to be changed (as the most major change). There is too much "warmth" in the room, between the warm wood tones (which are lovely but they must be balanced with cooler notes in the room) the red brick, the yellow walls, and the "warm" furnishings. To "cool it down," I would use light gray and amber (the color of the wood) brick dyes to lighten and "cool" the brick to provide a nice contrast to the warm wood tones (I would hire a professional to do the work as they will be able to get the nicest effect). Some people would think it a sacrilege to dye the brick but it is a shame that the builder didn't think of using a more neutral color brick--or even stone. I would also put fabric lining in the back of the bookshelves and match it to new drapes in that lovely greyish blue that you have in the couch cushion. I agree with the poster who said that lifting the drapes up a bit would make them seem like less of an afterthought (up to the Paladian window cap would be nice). I would paint the walls a pale taupe to match the carpet. You might also want to think about replacing the furniture with more neutral furnishings. You should definitely keep that lovely oak paneling but you might consider replacing the turned-spindle railings with a wood-capped wrought iron for a more up-dated look.
    Angi Hartman thanked uglysplitfoyer
  • 12 years ago
    I would not paint the woodwork. Changes as others have suggested if you want but not painted wood
    Angi Hartman thanked dogloverpainter
  • 12 years ago
    I think the wood is pretty and the only problem I see in the first pic is not enough contrast between the wall color and the wood. Here are some options.
    Angi Hartman thanked Nicole Luijer
  • 12 years ago
    I love the woodwork!
    Angi Hartman thanked jclong78
  • 12 years ago
    Do what you want to live with, not what is popular or trendy. Trends fade away and then you are stuck with it. Your woods are lovely. They blend with the fireplace which I also think is a beautiful work of art. Try painting the interior of the bookshelves if you want to change it up a bit; it can easily be repainted. But getting back to wood will be tedious. Or, hang some trendy wallpaper in the back wall of the bookshelves, and can easily be peeled off to get back to the wood. Personally, I would not bother any of the wood; just keep it in good shape and in good color. Good luck.
    Angi Hartman thanked alwaysdesigning
  • 12 years ago
    You could leave the wood and reface the FP in a marble or stacked stone. The the colors wouldn't be so similar
  • 12 years ago
    If I were you, I would paint in white and light gray litterally everything!!!! Wood + bricks, everything. I would feel oppressed in such a room (it feels like a church) but it is my taste. Go with your feelings.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    There isn't much I can add to this discussion. The majority of posters have already voiced my opinion. Leave the woodwork and brick work as is. A lot of craftsmanship went into your house. Something that isn't seen much these days, slap it up and paint it. "Caulk and paint make a craftsman what he ain't." Yea, for this amount of work I would have picked something other than oak, but that is what trends get you. Don't make the mistake of changing to the latest trend (fad) now and then want to change it back down the road.
    Angi Hartman thanked Al Fortunato Furnituremaker
  • 12 years ago
    I appreciate everyone's ideas so much. It's so interesting… people seem so sure about what should be done and there are so many opinions. I guess what I have learned is that I need to be more sure myself. I happen to love warm colors, always have and always will. I need to not worry about trends and what others think. Decorating AND life lessons I guess! Thanks again!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I would hire a faux artist to add some glazing to the wood work ( crevices) see examples of this effect in manf. cabinet finishes - this will add a depth and sense of age- which might do the trick. If the oak is bothering you as not rich enough try Minwax Polyshade in a cherry finish . I think the detailing and ceiling height is a great asset to the space - perhaps consider adding some more impact full throw pillows, and that wall to wall carpet is not helping a warm toned slate tile floor with a area rug would work with the more traditional based elements of the room.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    The wood is beautiful you would regret painting your woodwork!
  • 12 years ago
    Angieiniowa, I have a saying: if I love it, then it's in style with me. Your home should be a reflection of you!
  • 12 years ago
    I'm no expert, but I am a recovering Catholic, and all I can picture is Jesus on the cross where that clock is. Your house looks like a church.

    With so much brown in all that woodwork, I'm wondering why you chose to inundate the room with more of that color--in subtle, varying shades.

    I've seen this interesting trend of painting the rear walls of bookcases. If you do that, and punch up the contents of the shelves with more color and reflective stuff, and if you lighten up the bulkiness of the furniture with something lighter and brighter, things might turn around in there.

    As it stands now, if I blur my eyes it's a mass of brown. Bring that clock down, in fact, get rid of it--put up a bright painting (closer to the mantle) and use it to help guide your color choices in pillows, a throw, and lamps.

    Treat the soaring brick as nothing more than texture--by hanging a piece close to the mantle, and by focusing the eye to the shelves with some well-chosen paint, you will quiet the space (I swear I hear organ music!). I think a perfect blue will cheer up your walls--someone above referenced the blue in your pillow and I think that was the start of an interesting color conversation.

    Amen.
    Angi Hartman thanked Meet Me at the Wrecking Ball
  • 12 years ago
    What about taking your accessories down and replacing with all white or shades of white? Throw some white/cream pillows on the chairs. This might be a beautiful and bright change without sacrificing your beautiful woodwork. Pick up a Living Coastal magazine for inspiration.
  • 12 years ago
    As a former real estate agent I can't stress enough how much painted woodwork will send buyers right back out the door. Even if the varnish gets a little worn that does not look as bad a chips in painted woodwork. When my DH and I had to move we saw the most beautiful home and fell in love with the outside and walked in and the owner was in the process of painting all the mahogany wood in the house. We just looked at each other and walked back out. We could have bought and stripped the paint but were only on a 2 year
    assignment.
  • 12 years ago
    Gorgeous woodwork, gorgeous brickwork, gorgeous together! Long live oak! Each to their own, but I really don't understand people not appreciating a wood with such a distinguished lineage for cabinetry and furniture.

    Your instinct to keep the colors warm is spot on. I disagree with the idea of cooling the room with blue, etc. Warmth brings harmony and coziness to this awesome room. The wood and brick look beautiful together for just that reason. Warm friends.

    The only suggestion I have is to consider a big red Persian rug. You can lay it over the existing rug. In fact carpet stores will let you try out rugs in your home.
  • 12 years ago
    Maybe you just want to refresh a few things for your own excitement/change.... Consider a rug under the table... Matching pillows to it...
  • 12 years ago
    Missed saying that you need some color in room besides browns. Noticed you were using a some dark reds but consider a bright red or a pallet of reds and white or maybe some turquoise. Needs something that will POP.
  • 12 years ago
    Take the shelves out of your cabinets and cover a removable board with paint, or wallpaper, or fabrics to fit exactly the back of your cabinets - then replace the shelving.
    Now put a huge mirror or fabulous artwork over the brickwork to echo the shape of the curved wood.
    Instant change - no damage to the structure and easily removed when you want to revamp.
    Don't stain the wood - it's a lovely finish.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    "now I just think it looks dated. All I see is white woodwork on decorating sites and website"

    Don't paint it because in a couple of years all you will be seeing on decorating sites will be natural wood. Chasing trends is a bad thing to do.

    What I see is brown chairs, brown carpet, light yellow-brown paint and the brown wood with a brown clock over the fireplace ... way too much brown in there, and it's all about the same intensity.

    Bring in some color that is from the other parts of the color wheel. Brown is basically an orange shade, so if you do a "triad" you would have greens and purples as the other members.

    Look up "triad", "split complement" and other color w\heel hints, always using the orange/rust part of the wheel as you starting color.

    http://freshome.com/2012/12/06/20-creative-color-schemes-inspired-by-the-color-wheel/ is a decent place to get an idea.
  • 12 years ago
    I am generally in the wood painting camp but I would echo what others have said. The problem in the room is not the wood but the walls. If you update the walls with a white/off white then your wood will look great rather than looking dated with warm tones against your yellowish walls.
  • 12 years ago
    I would however paint the staircase the doors and the skirting, just keep the fireplace wall.
  • 12 years ago
    I agree with Jaynemturner. The reason why the room seems "dated" is that the "natural" (i.e. yellowish) tone of the oak is no longer popular (and it tends to become even yellower as it is exposed to UV from the big windows). But never fear, it will one day be popular again. In the meantime, "neutralizing" the wood tones by using fewer "warm" tones in the room, will go a long way toward making it feel more up-to-date and fresh.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Hi again,
    I have to be completely honest!!! In my original response I did the "safe" thing by recommending you stain the wood. The reason I played it safe with my response is because there are many people with extremely strong opinions on this particular subject. However…..I heard you say that you feel like things look "dated"…..and in all honesty, that is in the eye of the beholder. Since YOU are both the "eye" and the "beholder" that sounds to me like YOU are ready for a change! :) Painting both wood and/or brick is NOT a sin!!! ;) If you were to paint this room you would most definitely update your home, and you would still maintain the beautiful textures of the underlying materials. I went on the hunt for a before and after picture for you of both painted wood and brick so you could see the potential.
    Feewf! I am so glad I got that off my chest! Honesty IS the best policy! ;)
    And yes…I am ready for the firestorm of wood-lovers who are about to freak out!!! ;)
    Good luck with whatever it is you choose to do!
    Caroline :)
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    The woodwork is stunning, but I would maybe stain it darker. I would also change the light over the stairway, and paint the risers on it.... The fireplace area is very nice.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    PS: I might also paint the walls a different color.
  • 12 years ago
    Angi - Liking warm tones is good, but color is relative. Warmer than ___ is always the issue.

    You need some cool tones (green, blue, purple) in there so the warm tones have something to contrast with.

    Doesn't look like a church ... seriously looks like a Tudor or Jacobean mansion.
  • 12 years ago
    I am obsessed with the brick! It's gorgeous and the wood is too. The dated effect is the yellow paint which is bringing out the yellow in the oak. You should repaint with a neutral with cooler undertones to combat the yellow and I agree the carpet is a problem. If you really prefer carpet you should go for a richer texture in a deeper color again think cooler tones
  • 12 years ago
    Just my two cents...you could add a bit of color and less wood-ness by using temporary wallpaper behind the shelves in the living room. And I love the idea of painting the walls in that room a darker gray to tone down the warmth.
  • 12 years ago
    Do not paint. You will regret it. When I decorate around client's oak cabinets I just bring in dark brown and even black accessories and it helps take the orange/yellow edge off the oak, ground it and breaks it up. Watch, people are painting out oak and it will come back in style with a vengeance!
  • 12 years ago
    I saw your photo. I read your question. My reaction, "Are you kidding me?!". In other words, NO.
  • 12 years ago
    A big NO! as well. work with paint colour and accessories
  • 12 years ago
    Please don't stain or paint a darker shade, because of it's size, it will look like it is attacking the rest of the room, also will give you an oppressive feeling after a while. If anything, painting it, and the rest of the trim work in the room white, or in the white/cream colors.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Camerdo, who cares if anything is "in style", if you hate it in your own home. I hate oak in any form, especially if I have to look at it every day!
    I fixed my spelling of Ok to oak ;0).
  • 12 years ago
    This just continues to be very interesting! Most people believe I should paint the walls and many suggest white, as well as change the carpet and light fixture. Here is the picture of the room when I moved in a couple years ago. We painted (it's really not as yellow as it looks in the picture, more of a warm cream- remember, I like warmth!) and changed the carpet, took out bar, and change the lighting fixtures. I have read all the posts and suggested reading about arranging cabinets and I guess this is the best I can do. I am going to stick with my belief that this is an improvement over the way it looked, and trust those of you who say they like ALL the warmth and don't change the wood! THANKS!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I'm an artist and I work with paint colors all the time.

    Your wall is breathtaking. There's a lot of craftsmanship (or crafts-woman-ship) gone into it, so I concur with the others who say not to touch it.

    The problem I see with the whole space is the overuse of warm colors: honey, brown, dark yellows. To balance this, I recommend you use dark blues/greens/grays. This can be done on the walls (as some have shown), on the furniture, artwork, and rug.

    By the way, a large Persian rug will make a big wow statement in there.

    Hope this helps.
  • 12 years ago
    Just another thought, an easy thing to try and put back again if you don't like. On the shelves flanking the fireplace, put the objects that are bright, eg the photos with bright backgrounds, together on the lower shelves. Put the objects that blend in more eg the green vases and bottles on the upper shelves. This will pull similar objects together and give a bit more of a horizontal visual line to balance the height. Again, lovely room and great choices for furnishing and decor. The clock looks great on the brick.
  • 12 years ago
    I found that grey tones in the wall color will complement the oak. I have an oak staircase and my original yellow walls washed it out.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Please do not paint your brick fireplace or any of the oak trim in your house. The pattern in the brick is georgeous, and the wood has so much character. In no time at all decorating trends will change, and all those folks with houses with white trim, grey walls, and white fireplace surrounds will be yearning for a house like yours. Personally, I prefer warm off-white walls with natural wood, as you have in your stairwell, but it's not my house, it's yours. If you like the way it looks, then it is decorated perfectly.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I personally would not paint the wood, but suggest considering painying your brick for the pop you are needing. http://www.thepaintedtableboutique.blogspot.com
  • 12 years ago
    NO!
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Hi---no I wouldn't recommend painting it, as your furnishings go well with the wood. However, I suggest staining the wood slightly darker with an ash undertone--less orange/yellow hues. Pics for inspiration. Good Luck!
    [houzz=
    Living Room · More Info
    ][houzz=
    DC Ranch · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Rustic Chic Lakehouse · More Info
    ]
  • 11 years ago
    Looks like your family