Software
Houzz Logo Print
mkollman

Help - yucky peeling/melting thermofoil cabinets!

12 years ago
Our house is about 17 years old and the kitchen cabinets have thermofoil doors. The surface on many of the drawers has started peeling off and the cabinet doors closest to the oven and over the toaster have begun to melt. We're not financially ready for a total re-do. I have a fabulous handy guy who tells me that it is easy to peel off and then the MDF can be painted or stained. Has anyone done this? Is there anything special that needs to be done to the MDF to prep to protect it before painting or staining?

Comments (11)

  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Have not heard of doing this. Let us know if it goes well. When we work with customers, we change out all the doors and drawer fronts. Then paint everything.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I question the idea of painting once all the vinyl is removed. The original process involved spraying adhesive on the mdf before the vinyl was placed over it. The adhesive probably needs to be removed before any primer or paint can be applied. This may be more labor intensive than the cost of ordering new doors and refacing the cabinets.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I agree with Closet Experts. You would need to remove the glue to return the MDF to its original smooth state. That said, since it's peeling and melting anyway, it's worth a try first on one door and then do the others if it's successful. Keep in mind that regardless how well the doors are painted this will be a temporary solution - hopefully a few years, maybe less. The MDF can't be allowed to get wet, period. if it does it will absorb the water and blow up. Doors near the sink, other wet work areas, or above a coffee maker or rice cooker will eventually get wet and some of that water will work it's way under the paint into the MDF. We've seen these countless times with factory-painted MDF doors and it's not a pretty sight.

    The alternative, I suppose, is to replace all the doors with factory-painted wood doors (which are superior in my opinion to painted MDF) or better quality thermofoil doors.
  • 11 years ago
    I have the same issue. I just finished testing one door and it looks pretty good. 1. Thermofoil was just falling off and it was easy to remove. 2. Cleaned and sanded door. (I just read I should have used denatured alcohol). 3. Used a sealing primer (zinger primer a sealer) - 2 coats and sanded lightly on the last one 4. For the paint I used Sherwin-Williams ProClassic® Interior Acrylic Latex Enamel (took a clean piece of the thermofoil to color match as I wanted the same color) Semi-Gloss - 2 coats. I'll post a pic later.
  • 11 years ago

    Shannon, did you have the doors sprayed or did you brush on paint? Our doors are in terrible shape. Purchased at Lowe's 13 years ago before they had worked out the numerous problems. I am hoping to remove and paint myself. Considering chalk paint but not wanting a shabby chic finish. Any suggestions?



  • 11 years ago

    i'm looking at replacing my old oak cupboard doors with white thermofoil but will have to paint the frames, any suggestion on what kind of paint and what color?

  • 11 years ago

    The process of applying the "plastic" to the door/cabinets called thermally fused laminate and/or thermafoil (which is the same process but a thicker material) does not involve any glue. It involves heat to adhere the material. High Pressure Laminates are the glued on kind. That said, if your thermafoil cabinet doors are peeling, you will not need to remove glue if you wish to peel the laminate off and paint.

  • 8 years ago

    I have taken off the thermofoil and painted the doors. Worked out just fine ... I use Sherwin Williams Pro Classic. ... looks great. I have also repaired the peeling. I use Wilson adhesive and painter tape. Just put the adhesive in the area peeling and then force it down to get the excess adhesive out. Wipe it off and then apply the tape. Wow need to do it when you first notice the thermofile coming loose.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I actually did this and was so suprised by how well it turned out. I have the same situation - house is 18 yrs old and lots to be updated right now, so all new kitchen cabinets are not on that list! I peeled the thermofoil (came right off in big sheets), spray painted 2 coats of Kilz Premium Primer (lightly sanding in between coats), then 2 coats of Cabinet Coat paint (ordered online from Home Depot) applied with foam rollers . Before, during & after photos of drawers included (cabinet doors also turned out great). This process will buy me another 8-10 years before I re-do the kitchen completely.

  • 6 years ago

    Mine were peeling also. I have removed all of the thermafoil and I am painting them. I have sealed them with Minwax Sanding Sealer and will paint with Beyond Paint. I have used Beyond Paint in other projects and LOVE their product and the results. Beyond Paint