Software
Houzz Logo Print
mcmgirl99

Mid century Living Room help please

12 years ago
I need a chair to balance out my living room. Going for sleek mid-century look. Have gray gondola sofa and Barcelona chair. It will go where brown chair is as placeholder. It cannot be too big and my husband wants arms (I apparently only buy armless chairs!). Now that I have the rug in place, I am thinking maybe black vs. gray. I don't think I'm brave enough for a bright color but will add color in pillows (red? Berry?)Want to make sure the scale is right and it's comfortable. I was looking at Milo scoop lounger but think it's too much chair. Below are a few choices I'm debating.
Thanks for any input. I also am open to suggestions for the fireplace which I don't love-paint it white? Change it out?

Comments (17)

  • 12 years ago
    I voted for the first chair because I have a cat. The open-arm chairs would be less comfy for him when he sits beside me -- he'd fall off!
  • 12 years ago
    Something with softer lines to soften up all the squarish pieces.
  • 12 years ago
    What are you going to do to blend the fireplace in with the furniture style?
  • 12 years ago
    Rug is fine add lucite coffee table.
  • 12 years ago
    I voted for the 2nd one because I like the chair, and how it would balance the chrome trim with the white pieces it will be flanking the fireplace with.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I voted for the last chair, I'd like to see the wood repeated on that side of the room. And the shape of those arm rests/leg is beautiful. I'd paint the fireplace black or charcoal.
  • 12 years ago
    Very cool room and the rug is perfect! I think you need a pair of chairs. Otherwise everything is a single element

    Would you be open to painting walls revere pewter from BM and then paint FP white. That will pull it all together.

    Once you find a chair (s). You can find coffee table.
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks for the suggestions so far-very helpful. @Carolins-wow-how did you do that? Definitely makes me see I like the Charcoal better than white.
  • 12 years ago
    @laurak-I definitely need to paint and that's a great color suggestion. The pair of chairs concept is what's been nagging at me accept I don't want another white leather Barcelona chair but I do like how the one looks in that corner w that lamp. Hmmmmm...
  • 12 years ago
    I'd keep the Barcelona chair-- by itself it's a treasure. Maybe something like two of these
    http://houzz.com/photos/562461
  • 12 years ago
    Honestly, I didn't vote because I wasn't struck by any of the choices. I think the chair should follow the color, at least, if not the lines, of the Barcelona, which is beautiful in its spot. How much space do you really have there for the second chair without interfering with the hall traffic? Maybe a Mingo with white nubby upholstery? Or something like it? The arms would make your husband happier, but not so big a presence. It doesn't look to me like there is really room for a second Barcelona and footstool, but maybe it's the photo angles. I love, love your rug. I'd think a long time before painting the fireplace. I'd change out the decorations first for something more mcm, and see how I felt about it.
  • 12 years ago
    Were there any that had lines similar to your couch? I think it would have a calming effect to repeat the lines. Couch is beautiful but it looks lonely! Just because it's MCM doesn't mean it's the right thing for your room.
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Love the Barcelona Chair!

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I think yes to a coffee table and maybe add some printed cushions similar to the cushion in the picture below to lift the Sofa. If you get the print and colours right it will help pull the room together.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    We think you need to add a [coffee table[(https://www.houzz.com/products/tribecca-traingular-coffee-table-walnut-prvw-vr~90615945) to the middle of your living room. We have a great collection of living room chairs and coffee tables. You can check out our collection. It will definitely help you. Thanks!

    [Noguchi Coffee Table[(https://www.houzz.com/products/tribecca-traingular-coffee-table-walnut-prvw-vr~90615945) for more info:

  • 8 years ago

    I would not paint the fireplace as suggested. I would find a side table (or something else) that has similar colors as the fireplace to tie it in. Painted fireplaces will be out of style in no time and everyone will be kicking themselves when they decide it is time to remove the paint. and it doesn't really go with the mid century look.