Software
Houzz Logo Print
jeannie_nguyen

If you were to have an accent wall...

12 years ago
...what color would it be?

Tell us in the comments! If you already have an accent wall, post a photo, and tell us why you chose the color you have now.

Wells Hill · More Info

Comments (36)

  • 12 years ago
    We have a deep rich red on the largest wall in the Family room. Also, a chocolate brown on the wall behind the bed in the master bedroom. Accent walls are a great way to add drama to a room.
  • 12 years ago
    I've always wanted to bring some green into the house, so I did a feature wall in the living/dining area. All the other walls are white. I find it a refreshing colour.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I'll try that again... It's an easier way to have green than trying to keep indoor plants alive. :)
  • 12 years ago
    Mohagony brown accent wall & sage on the others. Sage curtains and mixed in bed spread.
  • 12 years ago
    My main living room wall, the largest by far, is painted fire engine red, over textured, paintable wallpaper. I saw the color in Ace Hardware, and it just hit me! I loved it. We've enjoyed seeing the warm red through the windows on a cold night.
  • 12 years ago
    I love accent walls, but went a little crazy on this one!
  • 12 years ago
    We painted an accent wall (BM Aegean Teal) when we first moved in and it's likely due for a change. We always got lots of compliments though:)
  • 12 years ago
    I am planing a new room for my self and I wanted to make it black, white, and magenta. I would have all the walls white but with a magenta accent wall where I would hang photos and pictures.
  • 12 years ago
    I have 6 rental homes (move over Trump!) and it has been such a delight to buy and use the rental income to upgrade and design/furnish these homes as efficaciously as possible. Paint is a #1 venue to impact with a first impression WOW factor. It took me two months to figure out a color pallet for two of my homes. While there are a total of NINE colors in one home, I used 5 of them in the second home just because that Santa Fe pallet worked out so well here in the high Rockies. Shown here are a few of the rooms... giving the them of an "accent" wall new definition :-)
  • 12 years ago
    OK, so I can only do one image at a time. I used a taupe BMoore color on the ceiling throughout this house and then varied the walls in each room with either a BMoore terracotta, mustard or sage. This BR has the terracotta, mustard and taupe.
  • 12 years ago
    This is the mud room in a different house. Because the entrance is so completely separate from the rest of the house, I could use a vastly different color pallet than the upstairs. I'm not a fan of turquoise usually but combing it with black and two shades of mustard somehow worked and I LOVE it
  • 12 years ago
    This is a small bathroom and I must admit, I was nervous about using such strong colors in a small space but somehow it worked. I used the art on the walls for this pallet.
  • 12 years ago
    I do not care for accent walls. I have never seen one that I think improves a room....but I am sure that is just me.
  • 12 years ago
    wasacampbell, I agree. I've seen maybe one or two accent walls that improves the look of the room.
  • 12 years ago
    If they are done right and painted professionally, I don't mind accent walls. However, I hate trying to cut the edges....so I am not sure I will every paint one...although I have thought about a couple of accent ceilings :)
  • 12 years ago
    madamebwolfe, Except for in the 1st photo, where I can see that one wall is white; you have not done accent walls. You've, instead painted the entire rooms in bold colors. That would be a little too intense for me, but it looks like you live a colorful life. Enjoy.

    Also, a hint for anybody wanting to do an accent wall........be bold & brave. Go with a much darker color than you think you should. An accent wall in a medium safe tone is just plain boring.
  • 12 years ago
    We have two. A golden/mustard color in the living room and a dark wine in the dining room.
  • 12 years ago
    I did an accent wall once in an open concept kitchen, dining and living room. Kitchen cabinets were white so I painted that wall a Chocolate Brown I got from Sherwin Williams. All the other walls were a timid beige. Everyone loved it.
  • 12 years ago
    I couldn't afford a couple grand for Schumacher wallpaper that I might have to remove, so I am stenciling an homage to one of their ads with some commercial and some hand cut stencils. My walls are white and my ceilings navy. There is much on my plate these days, so the wall is providing cheap therapy. I've travelled and lived in parts of the middle east, so it complements a very eclectic collection of goodies.
  • 12 years ago
    If I was to do an accent wall I'd do a wall in my living/family room and/or bedroom and paint it Benjamin Moore’s Kendall Charcoal, it makes a room look so cozy and as they say in Dutch "gezellig".
  • 12 years ago
    The accent wall in my living room is Kennebunkport green by Benjamin Moore
  • 12 years ago
    I am thinking of doing my entry in an accent color of either dark purple (eggplant) or a bright blue in cobalt or another rich blue, but have not gotten up the courage yet. I do love them in pictures. My couches are eggplant purple and all walls are in the house are cream. It is very open concept but does have architectural divisions. There is a short wall on the side stopping at the hall to the bedrooms, and then the wall with the exterior door and two side windows in the entry area, so it would be a small enough space that I do think a really dark color would not overpower. But I am not good at choosing paint colors. Any suggestions?
  • 12 years ago
    lilaimondi, In either of the colors you mentioned, be sure it has more gray undertones rather than blue. Don't do a "bright" cobalt as it will be too blue. Do a dark RICH blue. Bright and rich are very different descriptions. Most paint manufactures no carry the small sample jars. Lowes and Home Depot sell them for $2.50, so buy 2 or 3 colors and paint a large square of each on your wall. Live with it for 3 or 4 days to see which appeals to you. Remember, gray undertones. Good luck and have fun. When you're finished, hang a piece of smashing dramatic art on that wall.
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks so much! I wasn't thinking gray undertones, although that sounds exactly what I wanted. A rich deep shade rather than a bright vivid one. I will try to see if I can tell whether they have a gray undertone when I am choosing the colors. I appreciate your advice!
  • 12 years ago
    Our accent wall is blue in the living room. It's an accent color throughout our house.
  • 12 years ago
    We are fans of accent walls. We try to incorporate when especially in smaller rooms. It adds interest to a room. One accent wall we've done that is probably a favorite of mine is the one we did for our office/guest bedroom. I didn't expect that I would like it so much. It is purple stenciled with darker purple for a tone on tone effect. I am drawn to mostly neutral colors but we infused more color into this room to make it more fun and vibrant.
  • 12 years ago
    Our main living area is made up of the tv/couch area and a smaller sitting/bar area. We went with with 2 feature walls because of this layout and to balance out the room. My husband and I did both walls ourselves :)
    Jeannie Nguyen thanked zang777
  • 12 years ago
    I love the colors in madamebwolfe's rooms. I'm about to start remodeling my kitchen and am considering an accent wall in yellow, deep red, teal, or terra cotta. My problem is deciding where to put it: window wall? wall with open shelving? wall with a curtained alcove? If the room were bigger, I'd consider making each wall a different color.
  • 12 years ago
    zang777, stunning!
  • 12 years ago
    Ben Moore Flamingo Pink on a wall framing a window in a dressing room….it's lovely…and adds just enough pop to glam it up!! (btw, the original color was a little too bright, we added some white to warm it up a bit).
  • 12 years ago
    Loving your mosaic stencil, Chris Warren.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I love dark red with white furniture!
  • 12 years ago
    I have 2diff blues in 2diff rooms, and a cheerful green in another.
  • 12 years ago
    Blue
  • 12 years ago
    Thinking of painting a slate blue accent wall in my sons room and all other walls taupe.