Software
Houzz Logo Print
baiki

Mirror, mirror? Can't find a mate....

12 years ago
During my remodel, I regretfully put up my vanity sconces before I had my mirrors selected. I fell in love with the Anastasia Mirror from Anthropologie and that fit between the Bryant sconces from Circa Lighting, but I can't find a mirror that looks good AND fits between my Kent sconces from RH. I looked and looked and looked and looked and I can't come up with anything :(

The issues is that the mirror MUST fit within these sizes:
Width: 21 - 24" (27.25" space between kent sconces)
Height: 34 - 38" (Main mirror from anthro is 39" tall)

I thought I could find a nice antique Louis Philippe style, but they are SO expensive and the few that are new and $300-400 are too wide.

MIRROR 1: Existing Anastasia Mirror from Anthro,
MIRROR 2: I most like the mirror from Feiss, but it is 27.75" wide, and therefore won't fit.
MIRROR 3: The Venetian mirror is 25" x 35", but it's oval so fits, but perhaps it's the wrong vibe and shape?

My style is feminine, modern traditional, eclectic and worldly. I'd like to spend less than $500.
Any advice, thoughts, suggestions, links... I would really appreciate any help! Thanks!

Comments (22)

  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I don't understand why you have two different styles of sconces in the same space. I would remove the pair on the left. However, neither pair is gold to match the mirror. Or more to the point, the mirror finish does not match either the sconces or the faucet. You've made quite a mess of things and sometimes you just have to say NO to yourself and return what you can, or move it elsewhere.

    There is nothing feminine or worldly about your hodgepodge mix, which is more of a mix up than anything else.

    The only way you might salvage what you have is to make a collection of different mirrors on the walls, with different styles, sizes, and finishes.
    Brandi Powers · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    Seems like mirror #3 has some silver in it which would go better with the silver sconces and faucets. The shape of it also mimics the curves in the faucet.
  • PRO
    baiki thanked Barnhart Gallery
  • 12 years ago
    Carolyn,

    Boy, I don't think it looks as bad as all that.

    I have two different sconces because the four I originally purchased would not all fit. The Bryant sconces (the pair with lampshades) are 8 inches deep and I couldn't make it work/fit in the corner. So I opted to find an alternative, lower profile sconce for my "make up" mirror. I knew I wouldn't have matching mirrors either.

    Regarding the gold/silver finish: I LIKE mixing and matching finishes and because the space is predominantly grey, I wanted to warm it up with a dash of gold. Simple :)
  • 12 years ago
    Also, I think that there has to be two mirrors because of the layout.

    view 1 is walking into the space, to the right is the closet.
    view 2 is being in the space facing the closet.
    view 3 is from inside the closet space looking outward at the vanity. There is actually a little carve out for a vanity stool. I think this space would look strange without a mirror.
  • 12 years ago
    First, I think you need to decide which style wall sconce you like better. You can make either work, but not both. They are 2 very competing eras and styles. After you choose one style, you can choose 2 matching mirrors that coordinate with the sconces. Until you fix the sconces I don't think you can tie the rest of the room together. If you're concerned about adequate vanity lighting you can augment with a standing lighted mirror.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Wow! Barnhart Gallery, the 1920's mirror is REALLY great! Thank you for finding and sharing! And you hit the nail on the head describing what is going on between the two mirror areas :)

    I also found this mirror on a UK site. it's 23 x 35 inches, $170. I would antique it, of course. I think both this mirror and the 1920's mirror would look great. Each one mirrors a different feature of the Anastasia. Ending the night with two really great options! How exciting! Now to ponder....
  • 12 years ago
    Since your style is feminine, modern traditional, eclectic and worldly--- I agree with Carolyn that you need to remove the two sconces on the left. Those don't fit the look you're saying you're after.

    I love mixing finishes, but there needs to be a thought behind it, not just random stuff thrown together. The makeup area is a great idea and you can achieve that with a coordinating fixture/finish. It doesn't make sense to me that you have a chrome faucet.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    You could remove the two sconces that don't have shades and replace only the left one with another Circa fixture with a shade. It would look far better to have three that match. Then you could acquire two matching mirrors with a silver finish.

    Alternately, you could again remove both the non shaded fixtures and place a nice table lamp on the left end of the makeup area plus a lighted makeup mirror near the kneehole space.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    laurakdesigns, both of the lights have the same finish, which is satin nickel. I'm not sure why they look so different in the pictures, but I assure you, there was some thought behind it. Also, I kept the original faucet, from when I purchased my home, to save money and not be wasteful. Perhaps when it really needs to be replaced I can make sense of it.
  • 12 years ago
    Agree with Carolyn, you could go to 3 shaded lamps and silver or even frameless Venetian mirrors which would all tie in with the faucet which I think is really nice. Augment with lighting on the counter if needed. I'll be back with a sample mirror...
  • 12 years ago
    ^^^ A couple of Venetian mirrors:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/261245865909?lpid=82
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    baiki, I like your faucet and I also like the Venetian mirrors shown by rocketcat above.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Try Uttermost.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Attached below are some Uttermost mirrors, we also carry lighting too. Come check out my store. We offer free shipping.

    Sue
    www.essentialsinside.com

    www.essentialsinside.com: fifi wall mirror · More Info

    www.essentialsinside.com: cleopatra antique bronze mirror · More Info

    www.essentialsinside.com: muravera baroque mahogany mirror · More Info

    Uttermost Abra Vanity Mirror · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    If you have ever considered selling your home, a realtor is going to tell you to make open and clean looking spaces.. Basically it all just looks unfinished. I do not think you will be happy till you choose one style to create your feminine look. This would also be appealing to everyone who sees your bathroom.
  • 12 years ago
    Estate sales.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Estate sales are unlikely to yield a matched pair of mirrors in the right size and color.
  • 12 years ago
    Mirror the whole wall. Use the framed one in a powder room. It does not work in this space. Buy new matching lighting .
  • 12 years ago
    Sometimes I think people post dilemmas just for the fun of it! This one succeeded.