Software
Houzz Logo Print
yghawkins

Table lamps or floor lamps?

12 years ago
Been redoing master bedroom based on previous help from this forum. Headboard is being built by hubby and is in process. Purchased nightstands. Which would look better while still providing functional reading light. Floor lamp or lamps on nightstands? What style.

Comments (31)

  • 12 years ago
    This was my bedroom before any changes.
  • 12 years ago
    Table lamps will look better in your newly redecorated space. Some curvy lamps to contrast with the linear lines:
    Conway Silver Table Lamp · More Info

    Barela Silver Table Lamp · More Info


    What sort of headboard is the hubby doing up? If it isn't going to be too tall, the picture will look nice over the bed.
    yghawkins thanked Chem K
  • 12 years ago
    What is your budget? I think table lamps would be more elegant. I just ordered two gourd lamps from Target (which I've seem in person). The ivory color they have might work for your space. They are really nice IMO & super cheap!
    yghawkins thanked leemiller
  • 12 years ago
    I think table lamps too. I love the new look!! I like the Barela one that chemayne posted. But either is nice.
    yghawkins thanked wallizgrl
  • 12 years ago
    Chemayne. It is going to be pretty tall but I plan to move pic or use 3 mirrors above it if it won't work. Love those lamps
  • 12 years ago
    Gorgeous. We are considering in replacing our headboard and getting night stands. I'm thinking about those torchieres with gooseneck reading lamp attached. I love mine in the sunroom next to my reading chair and the top bulb is a three way light so we can dim the lights. They also would free the tabletops. You can find find them at Target and lots of big box store for cheap but Kirkland's and lighting stores will have more styles. I've been eying those gourd lamps at Target too and love the drum shades with teal pattern.
    yghawkins thanked kathleen MK
  • 12 years ago
    Hyde Evans design. Tried the nightstands not centered...looks great! Somewhere I read they need to be centered so I assumed that was true. I'll go with table lamps for sure now
  • 12 years ago
    Does the room have an overhead light--like on a fan or just on its own?
    Are the bedside lamps the only light?
    Do you need them to read or to light other work you do in bed--
    cause your tables are too far to make a table lamp an ideal situation...
    No you don't have to center them on the windows but we have similar situation in our master bedroom and it just looks odd to see nightstands in front of windows and not centered...

    Get tall metal lamps that have a swing arm so that they can sit on the centered nightstands and still reach the bed well enough to be of use...
    I would have suggested wall mounted lamps by the headboard but don't think there is enough room on that wall...
    yghawkins thanked loves2read
  • 12 years ago
    also suggest raising the curtain rods and using 1 swath of material for each window--draping from inside to out--all the way to the wall/corner vs the two narrow panels on each window...
    to frame the headboard/bed...
  • 12 years ago
    Definitely table lamps. Your bedside tables have some weight. Use lamps that have enough weight to be a complimentary scale. It's okay that your tables at in front of the windows. Don't pull them closer to the bed. They are in a good position. Everything is balanced and in harmony.

    Wall art next!

    Have fun!! Happy decorating!
    yghawkins thanked sally78
  • 12 years ago
    Table lamps for sure - 32" tall would be great and no less than 30" tall for sure! Way too often, people buy too short table lamps for their nightstands and it can really ruin the overall look!
    yghawkins thanked Ann
  • 12 years ago
    Neither I would pick adjustable arm wall lamps. They free up table space. I have two in my bedroom and they are the perfect lamps for reading in bed.
  • 12 years ago
    Table lamps;)
    Azure Light Blue Table Lamp · More Info
    yghawkins thanked User
  • 12 years ago
    Nice lamp, Margo!
  • 12 years ago
    table duh
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I would suggest you use table lamps.
    yghawkins thanked Creative Home Staging
  • 12 years ago
    Does lamp height depend on bed size & nightstand height and size?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    You are probably going to want lamps that are at least 23" high to the top of the shade. Since your night stands are fairly substantial I would suggest that the base be on the larger side. The ones in Margo's & chemayne's photos are great examples of the size of base you will need.
    yghawkins thanked Creative Home Staging
  • 12 years ago
    Yes, leemiller. When you sit up against the headboard, the bottom of the lampshade should come to your chin level. Another "rule of thumb" is the lamp/nightstand combo height should be about 56" tall. So, if nightstand is 24, lamp should be about 32". Another "rule of thumb" is to have the bottom of the shade be 20" above the top of the mattress. Typically, I find when combining these various guidelines, ideal bedside lamp size is about 30-32" in most cases. Also, you can browse Houzz bedroom pics and see what "look" you like best. I recently replaced "too small" lamps in my bedroom after browsing Houzz pics and deciding my old ones looked silly, mostly due to being too small. In fact, that was kind of true with lamps all around my house. MANY have gone to goodwill:)
  • 12 years ago
    Creative Home Staging - It's certainly a personal decision, but 23" is a very short lamp.
    Chemayne, the three lamps pictured above are all nice sizes. I love the Conway and the Azure!
    yghawkins thanked Ann
  • 12 years ago
    with preference to the Azure ')
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks Ann. I just ordered some medium lamps that are about 30 inches with their shape, was considering the large. This is for a guest room and a queen bed. Will wait and see how they look in person (we don't have night stands yet though!)
  • 12 years ago
    This has all been so helpful! I have moved the stands over closer to the bed and am trying that for a few days. We do want to be able to read by the lamp light and keeping them centered with the window doesn't allow that. I like them better centered but they really look okay closer too. I think an arm table lamp would solve the problem but I can't find one with the big base or weight you guys have mentioned. Still looking online! Thanks for all the help.
  • 12 years ago
    Lamps - and this chart should help you out with selecting the right heights.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    23" is minimum.
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks deco - I was hoping you'd see this discussion and post that pic. I think the biggest mistake I (and others) have made in our homes is choosing lamps that are too short/small and rugs too small. I've made both mistakes several times and wasted a bunch of money in the process! I guess while I'm thinking about it, maybe I should add too many, too small knick knacks as a common mistake:)
  • 12 years ago
    Another option for better reading light:
    [houzz=
    Traditional Bedroom · More Info
    ]
    yghawkins thanked studio10001
  • 12 years ago
    Glad I saw the post. Hope we prevented another mistake!
  • 12 years ago
    I would much rather go for floor lamps. It simply fits so wonderfully the picture. Whereas table lamps would definitely not be a bad option, considering the wonderful options given here, I think that floor lamps can be way more stylish. I know they are a slightly more expensive, but they could be purchased online at a bargain. Check out the wonderful collection of amazing floor lamps at http://interior-deluxe.com/ . These guys are for real. I love their design and prices are surprisingly competitive. :)