Software
Houzz Logo Print
dkammerlander

Teaching Interior Design

12 years ago
Hello, I am a High School FACS teacher and I am teaching an Interior Design Course. I have extremely limited resources for my students. While they do have I pads and access to the Houzz App, that is about all I have to teach them with and have them create a final project. I have instructed them to hand draw a floor plan (using a pre-done one from a floor plan book) Select 5 rooms and then create a board for each room. I had them create a room layout to scale using the limited number of templates that we have, and then they will enlarge the room and color it to be a rendered overview of how the room will look. I have told the students to look on line for samples of fabric, textiles and other examples to plan out their designs using the principles and elements of design that they previously have learned.

The advice I am looking for is I am wondering if any one can point me in the right direction to get some free samples of materials/scraps for them to plan out their boards. Is there a couple of companies/web sites that would be good to contact. I know students can print off of houzz but I want them to have a few samples that are actual samples to give a 3 dimensional effect. I live in a relatively rural area and getting students to be able to collect their own swatches to signify the true design they are hoping to achieve has not been an easy task. Are there any textile sites that supply a large number of samples at one time. Does anyone have any other additional ideas for resources for my class. I do not care if samples are from discontinued patterns/colors etc. it does not matter just so they are not from the 80' and 90's I am happy.
Thank you for any and all advice.

Sincerely Deb Kammerlander
deb.kammerlander@gfw.k12.mn.us