Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenine_kenny

Help with this kitchen!

I need a refresh but not any major construction! I'm thinking of a dark wood laminate floor, maybe change the hardware on the cabinets, new counters and backsplash and paint...help me with ideas! What do you think would look good in here?

Comments (30)

• PRO
    Young Electric LLC
    10 years ago
    Recessed can lights! Please.
    Four inch recessed cans on the counter edge. Looks like four or five needed in the pic.
    Costly may be less than $500.
  • km kane
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Here's a start. Get rid of the ceiling light! Recessed lights instead if possible And yes, the tile floor is cold, so a mid tone wood floor would be warm up the room, dark would be rather stark against the white cabinets. You also need undercounter lights, and since you have a good amount of cabinetry, place all your stuff inside and keep your counters cleaned off. Delete the valances too. Add thicker floor molding.
  • PRO
    Linda Mayo
    10 years ago
    I would take the pictures down from the soffit and add wide crown molding.

Paint the interior of the glass door cabinets the same color as the wall paint you choose.

You definitely need under-cabinet and in-cabinet lighting.

Add granite countertops and a backsplash tile that goes from counter to the bottom of the wall cabinets.

I would also add some patterned Roman shades on the windows.

Here are some light blue cabinets for inspiration. The knobs/pulls depend on the color you choose and the flooring.

Contemporary Kitchen · More Info

Golf Club Renovation · More Info
  • PRO
    Hallmark Kitchen Designs
    10 years ago
    I think that just by changing your lighting scheme, you can make the whole space look brand new. Spots in the ceiling, Under cabinet lights and internal cabinet lights will add brightness and warmth. The next thing to then do would be the worksurfaces, you have the wood topped table on white/ivory frame, why not change the tops to match and go for solid wood. then if you have any budget left tie the floors in with the above by maybe going a shade or two darker taking it to a light oak.
  • PRO
    ceramic artisan
    10 years ago
    my suggestion.
  • PRO
    ceramic artisan
    10 years ago
    my suggestion
  • PRO
    HomeScapes Home Staging San Diego
    10 years ago
    I agree about the lighting, getting that changed will make a huge difference. I'd go with lighter wood floors as the space seems a little dark, take down the decor over the cabinets and see if you can find other chairs or maybe some nice stools instead of the lavender chairs. We can't see that side of the room, so it would help to know what the table and chairs look like. I like your cabinets with the glass doors - this should be an easy fix! Good luck and post what you do! Here's one of my favorite kitchens - I think it needs some color but I love the basic design, flooring, countertops, backsplash and contrasting lower wood tone on the island.
  • PRO
    ceramic artisan
    10 years ago
    right! where are the colors?
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I know! but I like the blank canvas - this would be a fun one to work on. I like almost everything about it except for the lack of color.
  • PRO
    ceramic artisan
    10 years ago
    these samples need just a colored piece. just as accent...an Italian touch of beauty !!!!
  • Chromatic
    10 years ago
    The light is a problem as everyone else stated. If you're handy, you can install the can lights yourself if there's an attic above. I did it by daisy chaining them using the wire from the existing fixture.

Under cabinet lights are a must. You can get some that just plug into your wall outlets on the backsplash for now.

I would change the paint to a medium grey. I think that's that's the color you have on your counters and backsplash? Don't be afraid to go on the darker side with it to make a statement in the room.

I would paint the kitchen table an even darker charcoal grey or black in a glossy enamel. Right now it is off white and your cabinets are pure white. They are close but don't match and is a irritation to the eye.

With those things done, the floor might work the way it is. Looks like it has some grey in it. But if you want to change it, get a tile or heavy laminate in a plank wood style in the grey tones. Try something interesting like a herringbone pattern.

Most important is to take all the stuff off the soffit and counters and walls that is not functional.

Change the window treatment to something heftier. Like a woven blind or balloon shades in a grey. Maybe a toile pattern.

Keep your palette to 2 or 3 colors only. Think white and grey for this room when ever you add something. Choose black when you don't have those as a option.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    If you do decide to go with gray I hope it's a very light shade of gray, the room just seems very dark overall, even if you do put the new lighting in - a white marble countertop with a great backsplash in a light color would look great too...small spaces look better with lots of light
  • PRO
    Young Electric LLC
    10 years ago
    I wouldn't recommend Doug the electrical if you are "handy". You don't know what you don't know.
  • Jenine Falcone_Kenny
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks everyone! I took the pic at night, so it's dark. It's much brighter during the day. We actually do have under cabinet lighting..I forgot to turn it on

I decorated this kitchen 10 years ago and I obviously need a change! I know the light has to GO! It's horrible! My hub can do the electrical no prob- we have those kind if lights in every other room.

I love the all white look- I love the light grey wall idea and I light color backsplash! The other side has a huge open wall that I have no idea what to do with- ill post a pic later today. Thanks for your help I will keep posting updates.
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 years ago
    Nice kitchen! De-clutter it, then get a nice rug or runner, and take down the doilly valances in the dining area, they are silly. Put some roman shades there. Add under cabinet lighting and replace the flourescent light with a great looking pendant. Thats all.
  • lefty47
    10 years ago
    HI -- Up grading the lighting and add "task" under cabinet lights . Remove the nick-knacks from the bulkhead and the paint the whole room a white ,same as the cabinets . Paint a bright color inside the glass door cabinets like a teal or something you like and you could possibly put that accent color on the window wall to tie things together . If you don't want the whole room white , then at least paint the bulkhead the same as the cabinets , then that will extend the look of the cabinets . I think the all white will look great ,new and fresh with the other things your planning .
  • PRO
    Warner Decor
    10 years ago
    Hi! I think a rug by the sink would help to get you started with a color palate. Here are a few ideas for you:

http://deciture.com/shop/rugs/world-market/plymouth-oval-braided-rug-parakeet/

http://deciture.com/shop/rugs/wayfair/orange-green-striped-rug/
  • PRO
    Decker Cabinets
    10 years ago
    I would put in a white wood blind on the windows. Putting crown on the top of the cabinets is going to be hard because the cabinet doors look like they go all the way to the top of the cabinet. But if you are able to do this I would. I agree with the under cabinet lighting and in cabinet lighting. I would change the floors to a dark oak or a black walnut color and make your counter tops a granite or a quartz color could be Stafford brown. Wall color could be a mark twain from lowes. These combinations look really good together. As far as can lights a lot of people like the 4" can however they do cost more. If you go with a 6" can light it is less expensive and it will give you about the same amount of lighting. I did notice you have 3 good size windows in the kitchen and during the day I bet they let a lot of light in. So with your focus being for night time the only way to achieve this is with the can lights and the cab light. As well as what colors you put in the space. GOOD LUCK!
  • PRO
    Stone Harbor Hardware
    10 years ago
    Love your cabinets with the glass fronts! Maybe choose a paint color that coordinates with the items you'd like to display in those cabinets?

If you update the cabinet hardware, I'd suggest going with a satin nickel or stainless steel finish to coordinate with your appliances. Maybe something along these lines?
  • PRO
    Linda Mayo
    10 years ago
    The crown molding would go against the ceiling and soffit.
  • PRO
    Decker Cabinets
    10 years ago
    Yes it would but some of the cabinets are not flush with the soffit.
  • PRO
    Linda Mayo
    10 years ago
    I don't see the problem. The crown would extend around the ceiling just like any other room that is crowned.
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    10 years ago
    6 inch cans, would be best, i would 5 in main area and one over fridge. Can you take out that sofit area above the cabinets? and eliminate the ones over the fridge? open that up a bit. take down the valence over the windows..get white wooden shades.
  • PRO
    AQ Lighting Texas, Inc.
    10 years ago
    I think there are a couple easy things you could do to freshen up the look of your kitchen. First, I'd change the paint color on your walls. Paint is the cheapest way to update a room, and it's easy to accomplish the task over the weekend. Maybe go with a light yellow, cream, or blue and pull in a decorative window valance over the three-split window in the nook. I'd go with a valance with a decorative pattern that has neutrals and a pop of color. Depends on your tastes. Second, I'd clean off the cluttered countertops. While I totally understand easy accessibility to utensils while cooking is necessary, when you aren't cooking those items make your counter space feel tiny. A cleared off counter will help your kitchen feel bigger instantly. I know it is really hard to do with limited storage, I can relate, but you'll thank yourself after. Then I'd install a decorative backsplash http://www.lowes.com/pd_291236-93840-20-596_4294735483__?productId=3378636&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1%26page%3D1&facetInfo= and highlight it with some LED tape light. There are several versions of tape light, this one is easy for a homeowner to install themselves so you can save on contractor costs. http://www.affordablequalitylighting.com/indoor-lighting/under-counter-under-cabinet-lighting/led-undercabinet-lighting/custom-led-undercabinet-tape-light-system/ Lastly, I'd remove the fluorescent fixture and install recessed cans, similar to what flair lighting recommended. It is amazing what a difference removing the box fixture will make. With those minor changes I think you'll be on your way to a fresh new kitchen space. Good Luck! :)
  • PRO
    Decker Cabinets
    10 years ago
    I thought you where talking above the cabinets as well
  • km kane
    10 years ago
    no valences! they serve no purpose and are beginning to look like Grandma's or Great Grandma's house. If you must cover your windows, and insist on color, then consider some of the suggestions above (roman shades, etc).

Also, post another picture with your under-counter lights on so we can see the true lighting in your kitchen. And perhaps another picture of the area across from the sink/stove. Then we could give you better ideas about wall color.
  • Jenine Falcone_Kenny
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you all! I will post some more pics when I get home from work! Great ideas so far I'm so excited!!
  • Jenine Falcone_Kenny
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ok here are some more pics w the lights on. I never really noticed the clutter and crap on the soffets but you are all so right! The windows actually are the ones w blinds built into the window so I don't think I can do another blind on top- that's why I defaulted to the granny valances. Oh - the wall- I have hated this wall for years! I have no idea what to do with it...so this is what happened and then life went on ;). I'm thinking about white walls and maybe an accent color or a graduated thick grey horizontal stripe on this one wall as accent? Lighting has to go and do dies the floor- it's actually linoleum!
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Maybe no rug - the look seems kind of dated to me