Software
Houzz Logo Print
mendezl77

HELP!! Decorating for the first time!! (Living room)

12 years ago
Hi, i recently decided that i have to decorate my new home but i have no idea where to start! Tha space is so big and their is alot of wall space. Id love to add new colors to my living room, buy new curtains, maybe lamps, ianything that can fill it up. Please help!

Comments (73)

  • 12 years ago
    I understand your frustration as this was my first time decorating a living room as well. I've added teal blue and sea foam green as accents but if like bold colors I think orange would do
  • 12 years ago
    I'll be adding bolder color pillows and I like the choices you have do that helps me! And I'll be using this light fixture. I see you have a ceiling fan, if you prefer a fan I think you may want to go with something with darker blades.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    is this an apartment, im so confused by the front door...where are the bedroom and kitchen.? the couch looks much better re arranged! i would go to a lighter, floor to ceiling curtain. and create a space behind the couch, by the door that acts like an entry way. put a console table behind the sofa. it so strange..only one window in that whole room?
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks for all the comments! Yes, this is an apartment. As you come in the front door i have a long entry way and the bedrooms are located to the right. Then theirs the door that leads to the living room. The kitchen is in front of the dining area and their is two large windows and the door that leads to the balcony in this room. I rearranged the sofa once again as advised! I like this so much better. Their is room to walk around the sofa and the space looks more open. Id like to add an accent chair but im not sure if it would go well beside the tv or by the sofa. Could i add a side table a not make it look weird? My dilema is the space behind the sofa and when walking thru the door now that everything is switched. I did not hang my clock because i had no idea where to place it.
  • 12 years ago
    I like that you changed tv location again & couch with the picture behind it. I like the painting.A bookcase or tall vase next to tv to cover the cable. What color can you pull from picture for pillows for couch? A sofa table under picture than move couch backwards to it.
  • 12 years ago
    Clock can go on small wall next to window.
  • 12 years ago
    Chair can go on either side of coffee table.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    It looks really lovely! I would definitely add a chair and would like to see how it would look placed next to the tv but on a diagonal so that when you sit in it you'd be facing the corner of the coffee table and opposite the lounge on the couch. You will have created a nice conversation circle then.

    I think a round side table placed next to the chair would be great too. If that is where you want to bring some color in, you could pick a ceramic garden seat or you could go for something in brass or a metal to lighten things up and add interest. Alternatively, you could put a floor lamp next to the chair and put a rectangular side table next to the couch with a lamp on it.

    I like the space between the couch and the wall because the painting is so big that if you tried to float it above the couch it would be too high.

    I like the artwork a lot!

    I think you could use that space between the couch and the wall as another natural walkway. That wall next to the window is very bare. If you don't have an office, you could put a desk there and arrange a few things above it, like your clock and maybe some pictures or a bulletin board. If you don't want a desk in the living room, you could do a few other things, such as put bookshelves there or a console table with two stools/poofs underneath to provide extra seating when you have company.
  • 12 years ago
    I'd also like to see the dining table moved a bit out of that corner...it looks a little scrunched now
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    lookin good. i think the table should come out too.
  • 12 years ago
    Yes a few feet.
  • 12 years ago
    It's all about balance and scale. Your tape measure is your best friend! You don't want to overload one wall or one side of the room and have another wbe sparse. I'm a minimalist, so I tend to go sparingly on everything, but even if you are not, it's a good way to start.

    I had a friend who decorated her home in a very eclectic style, so there was no particular theme or era. It all worked together so well, I asked her how she did it. She said simply, I only buy things I really love. And that means no compromise. Even if you have to sit and look at bare floors and walls for years, it's worth it.

    Your space is so large and open you have the option of not pushing your furniture up against the wall, which in my opinion always looks better. Use rugs to define different areas in a very large space. If you have a very small rug, you don't have to put furniture on it, but 6 inches or so around the edges. If you have a giant rug you can put all four feet for example of a sofa or chair on the rug, but be consistent.

    Open back book shelves at 36" or so high can be another good way of defining a space.

    Most of all don't compromise, take your time, and have fun with it. Oh, and look at as many photos as you can stand, but just let the information sort of lay there in your head for awhile. One day, it will all fall into place and be uniquely yours.
  • 12 years ago
    here is an example of the seating area I would recommend
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you everyone!! I really appreciate the advice. I want to purchase some curtains but i dont know if a solid color would look fine or something with print better? Any suggestions on these...what would go better? Also...should i go with a blue or a yellow? What makes the room look more "wow looking"?
  • 12 years ago
    How about something like this?
  • 12 years ago
    What are you doing with the walls? Are you going to paint them or keep them as is?

    Also, do you have nice views out the windows or are you trying to draw attention away from the view?
  • 12 years ago
    Check out vinyl wall decals- your walls are pretty blank, and these decals are an easy way to add something to walls without damaging them! Check out the photos below, they are some of my favorites! You can purchase stock designs through http://erins.uppercaseliving.net or completely customize your own in the MyDesign suite. Please let me know if you have any questions!
  • 12 years ago
    The walls are staying as is. And my view is pretty much other buildings...so ill say drawing attention away.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Please consult a professional. Do not waste money or time that could be well spent making a connection with the right designer. Many of us do consulting and you would greatly benefit from a hour or two of consulting. Find someone that listens. Perhaps a better question for you would be, " how do I find the right designer?" Good luck... We are here to guide you. Be careful about random ideas if this is your first project.
  • 12 years ago
    So this is purely a matter of personal preference....but I always tend to admire design photos where the drapes are fairly monochromatic to the wall color. In my opinion, it creates a really simple elegance. You already have your "pop" with the large art piece and I think some of the drapes you're leaning towards might just detract from it. So you could go with any number of white sheers or linens, or even a light beige in a gauzy or linen fabric.

    If you have your heart seat on a pattern, I'd do a consistent pattern. I love these orange ones, although they may not be the right shade that you were looking for.
  • 12 years ago
    Gee, Pebble, there are lots of designers right here on houzz, ready and eager to help. Why don't you guide her right now?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I need to ask at least 25 questions before I could offer the right help. Most of all... What is the budget? It does no good to design something that cannot come to fruition. I believe in offering the best design solutions based on your realistic budget.
  • 12 years ago
    Sorry I posted the orange ones twice. These flax ones are what I meant to post...
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you everyone. Right now i have no idea what to pick, i would like for everything to go together. I dont want it to look uneven. I ordered some yellow throw pillows, also some orange and blue. I know curtains are really important. I just really overthink myself
  • 12 years ago
    Your doing so much better now! Pull out dining table a few more feet away from wall. And keep photos coming.
  • 12 years ago
    I think you're on the right track! Just remember that everything doesn't have to match exactly in order to "go together."

    The more I look at those flax curtains with the white book shelf next to it, the more I think a white book shelf with some yellow, orange or turquoise accents might look really awesome in that corner that is now bare behind the couch.
  • 12 years ago
    My budget is tight but i am buying everthing else thats missing which i know is alot. Any advice would help. Thanks
  • 12 years ago
    Ill be going around tomorrow searching for new things. Hopefully ill dind the right ones
  • 12 years ago
    Sheers can be cheeper than drapes. You may find drapes on sale now. Know you measures floor to rod & 2 times of width.
  • 12 years ago
    I know you said you were going to look at lamps and end tables. Something like this floor lamp is almost sculptural and might look really great. Good luck on your next shopping adventure!
  • 12 years ago
    This has probably been said ten times already - pull the sectional out into the room. If you plan to have a flat screen tv in the room, face the chaise part of the sectional toward the wall where the tv will be. Buy two comfortable medium size upholstered arm chairs for additional seating. Group them at the opposite end of the sofa from the chaise part. That should take care of the seating part of the equation! Think about your style preferences. Do you like a contemporary look or a traditional one? This can influence your color (wall, rug, chair fabric, window treatments, throw pillows) and accessory choices (lamps, tables, decorative objects, art). Pick your wall color first. To keep things cohesive, I would suggest a basic neutral - like a medium tone taupe or gray. Then choose two more colors to coordinate for your fabric chairs, pillows for your sofa and window treatments. Choose colors that you really like and that you feel you will enjoy living with and seeing everyday. Enjoy your new space!
  • 12 years ago
    Janiehburton, she did that already!
  • 12 years ago
    Can you add a skinny sofa table behind the couch to place a lamp on?. is the one end of the couch close to an electrical outlet?
  • 12 years ago
    The room did look a lot better, BTW!
  • 12 years ago
    Also don't pick paint color first. get all your furnishings in. There are so many colors of paint it will be easier to do that last.
  • 12 years ago
    So this is the progress i made in these weeks. Unfortunately my rug is not here yet or my curtains. Next thing im going for is lamps, decoration pieces, and a chair. Would a recliner look really bad? Their so comfy...
  • 12 years ago
    mendez, the room is looking really good except...you have wayyyyyyyy too many pillows on the sofa. Unless you want to discourage sitting, in which case you probably could use a few more. ;-) (That's the way a sofa looks when you're trying to keep the animals off.)
  • 12 years ago
    I'd lose half the pillows at least, and I think the yellow ones would be the first to go. I think it looks more cohesive without them.
  • 12 years ago
    5 pillows would be enough. I like the larger better. Smaller ones move to a chair.
  • 12 years ago
    Where's the rug?
  • 12 years ago
    Oh, I like whre you moved the dining table.
  • 12 years ago
    I like the new dining room table, but now the side table next to the couch looks very close. Could you go with a taller table behind the sofa instead?

    I think you're doing a fantastic job here. It is much improved from the initial basketball court feel.
  • 12 years ago
    Love the changes you've made so far! Hopefully the rug comes in soon. Something I haven't seen suggested yet is perhaps a large plant or two in the living area, at least one in the corner between the tv and the window (assuming you plan to keep the tv where it is).
  • 12 years ago
    You're doing great, Mendez! I love groveraxle's rendering above, with the chair placed conversationally. As to your question about a recliner....back in the day, I would have said NO! However, there are some really nice recliners now, which are not as bulky, but very comfortable. Please see below.
  • 12 years ago
    So this is what i have as of right now. I took out the yellow and orange pillows because i did not like them anymore and ordered new ones. I am undecided on keeping the blue curtains not sure if they look okay, i want to be sure before i purchase the ones for the other windows. Id like to put something on the corner were i have the side table to cover up the wires. What would look nice without making everything to scrunched up? Any ideas on what i could do with the space left on the entrance and on the wall space left? Thanks!!
  • 12 years ago
    You're a quick learner, mendez. I love the teal drapes. I think they add just the right amount of color.

    You can never have too many plants (as long as they're real) or too much art.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    this looks fantastic!! wow you have come so far from the first post way to gooooooooo!!!
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Fabulous. I love the blue accents.

    This is a small thing, but I still think there are too many pillows on the couch. I'd remove the 2 small beige ones and one big beige one.

    And I would experiment with moving the couch back, away from the TV, with the back feet off the rug. It looks as if it might be a bit of a squeeze for a person to get between the coffee table and couch. Your room is so spacious that you can afford some generous spaces between your couch, table and chair. And I'd pull the couch away from the window maybe another half a foot. Leave the rug where it is.

    Would the end table look better between the couch and the wall?

    A throw with some blue in it would be beautiful draped over the back of the chair or the couch.
  • 12 years ago
    I like it.