Software
Houzz Logo Print
terridonlea

14 years ago
What type of wood is this beautiful floor made of?
Earthy Modern · More Info

Comments (16)

  • PRO
    14 years ago
    It is engineered hardwood - walnut
  • 14 years ago
    Thank you...it is fabulous!
  • 14 years ago
    I agree, the floor is beautiful....any chance that you can share the Manufacturer of the hardwood? Thanks.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    it's engineered walnut
  • 14 years ago
    Was the floor stained? Is the finish polyurethane?
  • 14 years ago
    Who is the floor manufacturer? I have been looking at a lot of walnut, and non quite matches this. Thanks!
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I may be able to shed some light on your question. Because of the chocolate tones in the floor I believe it may be Peruvian Walnut and not the Black Walnut many of us are familiar with. They are very similar. I will attach a pictures of North American Black Walnut with an oiled finish. It certainly looks darker.
  • 14 years ago
    Thanks very much!
  • 13 years ago
    you mentioned oil finish, is that better than polyurethane?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    No really. Its just different. I am sure somebody will say one is better than the other but it all comes down to what you really want. Oiled looks "neater" while poly is probably more durable.
  • 13 years ago
    I chose Rubio Monocoat oil finish over polyurethane because I liked that I could spot repair if I needed to, that it was 'green, and I also like the more natural look it provides. Monocoat is also a one coat process which dries very fast and doesn't have a powerful smell. (FYI, Tung oil is difficult to apply, has a strong residual smell and dries very slowly so I'd avoid using it. ) Monocoat was developed for oak floors so if you have some other wood on your floors, or even if you have oak, you might want to test it out along side poly on scrap wood. They sell small sample bottles for this. The oil darkened my wood more than I thought it would even though I used a colorless oil. I was glad to know this would be the result before I started. Oil does not create a hard coating so your floors will scratch or get dings easier than with poly and they won't tolerate your typical soap and water mopping. I use a barely damp microfiber mop, no soap, after sweeping or vacuuming. The advantage of Poly is that it is more protective than any oil finish in the short run and more people know how to apply it. In my case there was a learning curve for everyone involved in prepping and finishing my floors. So far I am happy with my decision though.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Thank you for the excellent description. Rubio was developed in Belgium but has a network of distributors. I would certainly suggest getting a few samples and applying them first. We have a client in Athens GA that used it for his Quarter Sawn floors and he loves it.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Thank you for that great info!!!
  • 13 years ago
    @Lauratarn, I just had Rubio applied in a darker finish to my floors and, needless to say, I don't like the finish. I think it's because I went too dark with the color because the the finish is very dull and dusty looking, even after a damp mop with Rubio cleaner. I'm hoping that 2 coats of Rubio satin soap will give it enough sheen to remedy that problem. If not I'm going to have them restained lighter. I love the color of your floors, do you remember what you used?
  • 13 years ago
    dina1109: Monocoat floors will be less reflective than any poly but they should have some amount of satiny shine. The dull, dusty quality in your floors 'may' indicate sanding and/or application error. Very dark floors show dust, dirt and scratches more easily but it sounds to me like the problem is in the finish. It also sounds like you'd probably be happier with the Pure ''color" which is colorless. It darkens the wood a bit but I think the results are more natural/classic. I am suspicious of the Rubio Cleaner because it seemed to leave a white film when I spot tested it. I use clear water with a microfiber or terrycloth damp mop only and my floors look pretty and clean. Also, another thing to be aware of is that the Rubio satin soap product is a semi-permanent top coating that needs to be maintained, like old fashioned floor wax, at least according to a distributor I spoke to about it. He told me that the satin soap layer had to be completely removed before any light spot repairs could be done. I am not a floor professional so double check all this with your distributor, a trusted floor finisher or Monocoat directly. Good luck.