Software
Houzz Logo Print
collard5

Scale, color of mirror?

12 years ago
A few years down the road we plan on taking this fireplace out. Until then I need it to look good. I am struggling with the scale and color of what to put on the mantel . Should I do a round mirror instead? I do like the one there but should it be bigger? Maybe turned on its side? The chevron curtains are staying and I'm not painting the brick. I started painting the room blue , not sure if I like it so that's why the rest is still brown. It is an odd shaped open concept space..ug. I welcome any opinions. Thanks.

Comments (19)

  • 12 years ago
    you might consider a colourful piece of art/poster
    -
    My Houzz: Coastal Elegance for a 1917 Bungalow · More Info


    or something more neutral as indicated by the art on the left of the ref pic
    Great Neighborhood Homes · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    HI -- Your same question was on here a year or so before . Did you not get or like the comments we all gave you before ?
  • 12 years ago
    I find the white frame of the mirror too similar to the mantle colour. You could lean a couple of pieces of art without even having to mount it.
    Here is an example of combining frames of different sizes
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Cool space! I'd consider layering art (probably black&white), as aliya posted above. Ideally, it would cover the entire expanse of wall, so you would need some large pieces. The B&W would go well with your drapes too.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    You've got a challenge on your hands. Paint the brick and the rest of the room in White or Light Gray. Paint the wall above the staircase the same. Now the spaces are opened up instead of cut up. Pull the Green chairs and the rug into the center of the area rather than squished onto the rug in front of the FP. Add a large piece of art or a poster over the mantle. Buy three more panels of the zig-zag drapes and install on a rod mounted on the ceiling across the back of the sofa so that you have screened off the back of that sofa from the view.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I would hang the mirror horizontally so that it would stand out from the fireplace below and mimic the shape of the mantle configuration. This would draw the eye from side to side which would be great. Painting the mantle, legs, and mirror is also an idea. White is pretty stark against the brick.
  • 12 years ago
    Grouped artwork might look something like this.
  • 12 years ago
    Lefty, good memory. Share your secret.
  • 12 years ago
    Killer space!! You seem to have an awesome mid-century style, so a sunburst mirror would just be so on-point. Things on mantel should reflect who you are, what you're into, places you've been, etc. Candlesticks from your favorite relative, a crazy vase you loved at a flea market, photo of you/ your family on holiday in a great frame, a stack of three of your favorite books, etc. I use plate holders to display small pieces or art, like tiny canvases that locally painted landscapes.

    Play with it until it "feels" right. Have fun!
  • 12 years ago
    Yes lefty47 ,it was on here a year ago. I did take someone's advice to paint the mantel white. Mostly everyone said to paint the brick but I'm not willing to do that because that brick is found throughout the house and I feel it's the only thing linking the rooms together. Otherwise I think the house would feel disjointed. I realize that it is hard to make decisions based on a few pictures. If you were to walk through the house you might feel differently ( if you were in fact someone who suggested to paint the brick)
    What I was hoping for was some advice on room paint colors as well as the color, shape scale of something to put on the mantel. Eventually this will be one big beautiful family room, and I will be pretty much starting from scratch.
  • 12 years ago
    *of locally painted landscapes. Autocorrect is the worst :)
  • 12 years ago
    You could paint the bricks white to make everything blend in.
  • 12 years ago
    I love your brick, I think your drapes and brick are fighting each other though. Maybe do a solid drape? I love your living room color too:). Anyway, I like your idea of a mirror, I attached a possibility for you to consider:)
  • 12 years ago
    Oops, here it is;)
  • 12 years ago
    HI -- I am pretty sure I did not tell you to paint the brick , I thought the brick was real nice and still do . Don't remember everything I said a year ago but I do know most every one did not like the drapes because they clashed with the brick . I think I suggested they could be used else where in the house . I think I told you to paint the mantel a cream color that is in the brick and I didn't like the dark green walls , they should be the same cream . I think the brown wall color is fine. One of those star mirrors would look great on the fireplace . And I still think the brass on the fire screen should be painted with a black heat paint .
  • 12 years ago
    This is what I ended up doing. What do you think?
  • 12 years ago
    I'm not a fan of the white mantel-sorry. I'd paint it a charcoal black. I like someones suggestion of the gold sun mirrors- a large one
  • 12 years ago
    Your black room divider/office is setting the tone - pull that color to the mantel, paint out the brass with heatproof black paint.